Do you have to keep your NREMT updated to work?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
If working in one state? Or do you have to keep both cards updated?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Probably depends on your state. In Texas, you don't need your NR after you get your initial Tx cert. Check with your state EMS department.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Depends on your company. Some places require you to keep it current others do not. If you plan on moving areas or out of state you should keep it updated.

My company and county don't require it. I don't plan on moving anywhere so I did not update mine.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Depends on your state, agency, and personal plans. If you ever plan on moving or applying for reciprocity in another state - it is extremely wise to keep your NR current.

I keep mine current just because I can, and so I have more flexibility on where I can work. It is never a bad thing to have on a resume too.

Sometimes you can work your CE/recert requirements meet some or all of both your state and NR requirements.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Some states require you to maintain both. Some only require NR for initial certification. Some don't use it at all.

I know some companies require their employees to maintain both.

OP
OP
P

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering you need continuing education to keep your certification updated? What about state? I live in california.

And is it 24 hours of CE's? Can the CE's go into both NREMT and California?

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Ohio it's not a requirement, but if I maintain it I don't have to do the CE. Because the NR allows one to test out now I essentially don't have to do CE which is nice since I don't have the time.