• Bad

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Mixture of both.

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
Recently started working apart of a dual medic crew, my steady partner [Age 62] seems to get worked up when I refer to "out of the norm" calls as "good calls." Recent Ex: 11y/o with a bow impaled in his arm. To me, it was a good call. I had to think outside the box a little, step up my practical skills, etc. To him, it was a bad call. And we talked about reasons why we felt that way.

So I figured I'd open it up to the forums regarding critical medical calls or above average traumatic calls;

Do you have good or bad calls? And please enlighten me as to why you feel a certain way.

mikie

Forum Lurker
White cloud syndrome

Why isn't "none" an option? I gotta break this white cloud!

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
Semantics.

Really, any call we go on is usually "bad" for the recipient of our services. We've all heard the saying when we meet someone its during one of the worst days of their lives.

Gallows humor plays a huge part in our profession, as it does many medical professions. That probably plays a part in the good call/bad call debate. I can see someone saying its a good call as a coping mechanism. Thats just my semester of college psych talking.

Anywho, it just depends for me. I think I usually refer to them more as a "memorable call".

gallows.gif

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
For me, a "good call" is one where I can leave feeling I(or us on the BLS bus plus the paramedic) made a difference in the patient's condition. Hell, I've felt good about some lift assists.
A "bad call" is one where you feel like the ambulance was mostly unnecessary. I had a couple on Sunday...pt needs to be transported for surgery, pt says she's been poisoned and is waiting outside with her handbag ready to go, etc. A bad call would also be something like a pediatric fatal, which is usually not a fun experience.
All in my humble and rather new opinion, of course

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I probably shouldn't use the expression "good call" as often as I do. I know what I mean by it -- a call that teaches me something or makes me think or has a better outcome than I expected -- but I wouldn't expect anyone outside of EMS to understand it. I don't see a problem using the expression the way you did, but I respect your partner's opinion, too. Early in my career I heard talk at HQ about a "good call" I happened to be on, involving major trauma. I said something like, "There wasn't anything good about it." For whatever reason, I was sensitive about that call. Maybe your partner felt the same way. Maybe he'll tell you why.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
As you get older/more years of experince "good" calls tend to become "bad" calls. It has to do with starting to realize the level of human suffering involved.

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
I think being so new, a good call for me is just walking out of there without screwing anything up. Just being able to say that I did everything I was supposed to do and did it correctly is enough for right now.

Last edited by a moderator: