Dispatched: Unknown Incident

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Hello all, couldn't remember the name I used to post under. Here's a case study presented to me by an ER doc:

Diagnose the patient, provide your interventions. Ask and you shall receive.

Your crew: EMT-P (You), EMT-B x 2. Fire is also on scene with a fly car with 3 EMT-B's.

Tones drop for a 40 yom unresponsive. His 13 year old daughter calls because she can't rouse him. He's drank a 12 pack of beer over the last hour and a half. Daughter says he has a condition but is not able to verbalize what it is or what it affects. This is a relatively rural area, so dispatch sent a FD fly car out and they will beat you to the scene. They are BLS non-transport.

Pt is in obvious respiratory distress. You find him prone on the hard kitchen floor having fallen and hit his face on the counter on the way down.

A - Airway is being partially obstructed by broken teeth and blood. He bit his tongue on the way down and it is swelling fast.

B - 4/min and shallow when you find him.

C - Pulse is 89 and strong.

S - Appears to be in respiratory distress, first vitals are below.

A - Sulfa, NSAIDs.

M - Daughter can't vocalize; you find Lipitor, Prednisone, Albuterol and Coreg. You find a glucagon kit, but cannot locate any other medications related to Diabetes.

P - She says daddy has been taken by the paramedics before because of his heart.

L - He finished off his 12 pack about an hour ago.

E - He was getting up off the couch to make himself a sandwich when the daughter heard the crash.

O - Daughter called when she couldn't wake him up, it took you 18 minutes to get there. Onset is believed to be within the last 25 minutes.

P - Unknown

Q - Unknown

R - Unknown

T - Unknown

scenario.jpg

Vitals:
Unresponsive, cannot be aroused.
Skin is wet and cool.
BP: 140/98
Pulse: 89
RR: 4/min and shallow.
Pupils: ERRL

Clearing the airway and tubing will cost you 3 minutes.
CSpine + LBB will cost you 2 minutes.
Combitube will cost you 2 minutes.

Hospitals:
Level III Trauma Center: 22 minutes hot. (Out of the city)
Level I Trauma Center: 21 minutes hot. (Out of the city)
ER with no trauma classification: 13 minutes hot (Into the city)

Other considerations:
It's 4:30PM on a Friday and traffic is BAD. You might consider adding 15-20 minutes to your hot run times if you decide to go out of the city...

Hints:
Zebras have stripes.

Good luck!

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Was a blood sugar reading done for this patient? If so, what was it?

Enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
As I'm not a medic...I'll leave the scenario for those that are. Just I noticed that there was not a Blood sugar reading on the first post.
One is normally taken as part of protocol(In NZ) with a collapse.
If I was to do anymore with this pt. Of course I'd be looking at maintaining the airway first.

Thank you!
Enjoynz

Sasha

Forum Chief
Clearing the airway and tubing will cost you 3 minutes.
CSpine + LBB will cost you 2 minutes.
Combitube will cost you 2 minutes.

Hospitals:
Level III Trauma Center: 22 minutes hot. (Out of the city)
Level I Trauma Center: 21 minutes hot. (Out of the city)
ER with no trauma classification: 13 minutes hot (Into the city)

Other considerations:
It's 4:30PM on a Friday and traffic is BAD. You might consider adding 15-20 minutes to your hot run times if you decide to go out of the city...

Can we get C-Spine and intubation going while we get HEMS on it's way?

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Just wanna say I went through this (modified for BLS) with the OP and it's a doozy. If anyone handles this one without fumbling you should get an award.

OP
OP
ceej

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Can we get C-Spine and intubation going while we get HEMS on it's way?

Cspine and LBB are done.

Intubation failed times 3 attempts. Too much blood and too many broken teeth obstructing the airway.

Would you like to break out the Mcgills and try to clear it? It'll cost you another 4 minutes.

Edit: Helicopter takes 25 minutes to get here and it's 10 minutes to nearest viable LZ. HEMS is moving.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
At a quick look ECG looks like LVH ... check out V1, V2 and V3 but that's not my main concern.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say it's a drunk guy who fell down but with the BGL of 237 mgdl (13.8mmol/l for us) he's hyperglycemic as ... the resps are puzzling 4/min would fit with the collapse and some serious CNS depression (I know a dozen cheap beers will probably do that) but 30/min and deep have me leaning toward DKA.

Suction the airway as best I can, drop an OPA for the time being, throw him on a scoop and load into the truck.

Once onboard I'd drop an LMA and get going towards the LZ to get the chopper.

emtbill

Forum Crew Member
12 lead shows a right axis deviation with a posterior fascicle block, which is not normal in any patient. I think he had a syncopal episode from a dysrhythmia per cardiac history. I would like to know his EtCO2 as well as heart and lung sounds, and SpO2. A neurological event is another possibility. Ventilatory support is indicated, and I would be aggressive with it. Right now this is looking like a supportive care patient.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't understand this "cost you" b.s. I have what 6 EMT's and it will take me 2 minutes to combitube? B.S. someone (your physician) needs to be educated in airway management and as well as other prehospital care. Majority of which can be performed while enroute (including ETI) and to place cervical collar on takes two minutes again.. geez are the mentally challenged?

Good scenario but let's be realistic, okay?

R/r 911

OP
OP
ceej

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Lung sounds are clear.

Heart sounds are significantly stronger on the right side.

This system isn't set up for Capnography, SpO2 is 99% since the FD has been bagging him while Sasha was intubating.

I saw we went with an OPA because of the difficult intubation, anyone want to take another swing at it with a different airway?

Whoever said right axis deviation might be understating; looks like mega super ultra extreme right axis deviation to me. (That was a hint)

@rid: I realize the times are just a complication but this is coming directly out of my book and in order to not cloud things with my student status I decided to paraphrase as little as possible.

@everyone: Good job so far, as this is really a scenario that would be above our level. But it's good to have fun :)!

emtbill

Forum Crew Member
Lung sounds are clear.

Heart sounds are significantly stronger on the right side.

This system isn't set up for Capnography, SpO2 is 99% since the FD has been bagging him while Sasha was intubating.

I saw we went with an OPA because of the difficult intubation, anyone want to take another swing at it with a different airway?

Whoever said right axis deviation might be understating; looks like mega super ultra extreme right axis deviation to me. (That was a hint)

I really don't feel that this is an ERAD due to the positive deflection of the inferior lead III. If this was ERAD we would most likely be seeing a ventricular arrhythmia and this is clearly a supraventricular rhythm.

Per the heart sounds I believe the patient has had a massive pulmonary embolism. The right ventricle has to pump a lot harder against the increased pressure in the pulmonary vein which can cause a right axis deviation on the ECG as well as the change in heart sounds. This can also account for the patient's bradypnea. The EtOH along with the PE would be enough to cause the syncope along with the trauma on the way down.

On the airway: I really don't like intubating without a cannogram to look at. It provides objective evidence throughout transport of good tube placement, as well as an early indication that my sedatives and paralytics may be wearing off if the capnogram shows that the patient is trying to breathe on his/her own. With that being said I don't know that I would try an NPA or nasal intubation in this patient. It's unlikely but with the evident head trauma you can cause further damage to the brain by poking around at the base of the skull. :p We could try a fiberoptic scope if we have one available but if we absolutely can't get the patient intubated I am happy with just a BVM since we seem to be getting good compliance with it. We could try a rescue airway as well, but I would try oral intubation again before I did that. Yes, let's spend the 2 minutes or whatever it is to clean out the patient's airway then try again. We have to wait on HEMS anyway.

OP
OP
ceej

ceej

Forum Crew Member
I really don't feel that this is an ERAD due to the positive deflection of the inferior lead III. If this was ERAD we would most likely be seeing a ventricular arrhythmia and this is clearly a supraventricular rhythm.

Per the heart sounds I believe the patient has had a massive pulmonary embolism. The right ventricle has to pump a lot harder against the increased pressure in the pulmonary vein which can cause a right axis deviation on the ECG as well as the change in heart sounds. This can also account for the patient's bradypnea. The EtOH along with the PE would be enough to cause the syncope along with the trauma on the way down.

On the airway: I really don't like intubating without a cannogram to look at. It provides objective evidence throughout transport of good tube placement, as well as an early indication that my sedatives and paralytics may be wearing off if the capnogram shows that the patient is trying to breathe on his/her own. With that being said I don't know that I would try an NPA or nasal intubation in this patient. It's unlikely but with the evident head trauma you can cause further damage to the brain by poking around at the base of the skull. :p We could try a fiberoptic scope if we have one available but if we absolutely can't get the patient intubated I am happy with just a BVM since we seem to be getting good compliance with it. We could try a rescue airway as well, but I would try oral intubation again before I did that. Yes, let's spend the 2 minutes or whatever it is to clean out the patient's airway then try again. We have to wait on HEMS anyway.

Tube is successful but that tongue is still swelling. HEMS is 9 minutes out, want to start booking it for the LZ?

OP
OP
ceej

ceej

Forum Crew Member
I came to that very conclusion emtbill.

This is where the scenario ends in my book and the doctor threw me the curve ball that I suppose should be in a differential with a patient with right axis deviation.

He took me along the path of the patient coding and being unable to get the AED to analyze properly and such. I don't think that's a fair assessment and I wanted to see where you would all go given the same initial information as I was, and I'm glad you wound up where I did.

Here's the final chapter:

gr1.jpg

Notice the obvious change in axis. A negatively deflected lead I would indicate right axis deviation. When leads II & III become deflected in addition, this would indicate extreme right axis deviation (ERAD). ERAD is most often seen when impulses originate in the ventricles as with ventricular tachycardia, or ventricular pacemakers. ERAD may appear with dextrocardia.

When you see a negative QRS in lead I, and a positive QRS complex in aVR, you should first suspect misplaced leads. If they are placed correctly, dextrocardia should enter your differential.

I realize that this is an extremely complicated situation and I thank everyone for taking the time to have fun :)

Apologies if I did not set things up perfectly, first scenario :(

emtbill

Forum Crew Member
Epic fail on my part then. So what was the etiology of the syncopy and respiratory depression? The beer? He couldn't drink a case of beer without dying? Haha...someone needs to learn to hold their liquor. :p

I don't know about the AED not being able to analyze his rhythm in cardiac arrest though...didn't we just have a thread about this topic? VF should look the same in anyone's heart.

OP
OP
ceej

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Epic fail on my part then. So what was the etiology of the syncopy and respiratory depression? The beer? He couldn't drink a case of beer without dying? Haha...someone needs to learn to hold their liquor. :p

I don't know about the AED not being able to analyze his rhythm in cardiac arrest though...didn't we just have a thread about this topic? VF should look the same in anyone's heart.

He told me to place the pads opposite. Never had to do it, so I couldn't tell you =p

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies

Went down from the hyperglycemia, hit his head and started to bleed (note his meds), went down from the ICP.

Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed in about a million years. The vitals were far from obvious for Cushing's. But you guys win for making it trauma at least.

OP
OP
ceej

ceej

Forum Crew Member
Went down from the hyperglycemia, hit his head and started to bleed (note his meds), went down from the ICP.

Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed in about a million years. The vitals were far from obvious for Cushing's. But you guys win for making it trauma at least.

It's like if House was a paramedic.

Edit: IT'S NOT LUPUS

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
It's like if House was a paramedic.

Edit: IT'S NOT LUPUS

Ya.. but did you rule out sarcoidosis and Wilson's disease