Difficult call

reaper

Working Bum
That's just really sad. Makes you wonder if they were going to be fit parents. :sad::blush:

Grief is displayed in numerous ways and there are different steps to it. They may have not had it it them yet!

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
Jack, these calls suck. Very few have any positive outcome.

In hospital they always debrief staff immediately afterwards, in my service until recently, were usually told to hurry and clear for calls holding.

Do your best and hope for the best, but expect the worst. No reserve for these little ones. I try to tunnel in on the patho-treatment plan, keeps me from being distracted by parents.

Try to limit time with grieving parents, a quick re-assurance and how we are trying our best, hospital's have the resources to deal with them. It does our psychiatric health no good witnessing the soul wrenching grieving that will take place.

Always have some outlet away from work, I work out/martial arts and spend lots of time out doors helps ease this type of insult.

Amack

Forum Crew Member
But yes, for MA being the socially progressive and liberal society that it is... little headway gets made when it comes to administration and utilization. We prefer to specialize in litigation and corruption. :rolleyes:

Couldn't have said it better ;)

Melbourne MICA

Forum Captain
Hi all. Had a call this AM 5month old full arrest, I was the paramedic upgrade. This was my first baby code. Felt helpless. Did what I was suppose to...even though you always second guess yourself. Not sure what Im posting for...support I guess. Thank you.:sad::sad:

Now you will never ever have to say "this was my first paediatric code".
The ice has been broken.

Mother nature is boss and we are just occasionaly fortunate interlopers.

Cheers
MM

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I remember my first pedi code... was a 2 year old who fell into her grandparents pool over the Summer. Til this day I can very vividly remember her bright brown eyes fixed and staring straight at me... lifeless. My unit was the first onscene... they got a return of pulse at the ED and flew her to a pediatric center where she died a few days later... her name was Olivia. This was prob about 10 years ago and I will never forget those brown eyes or her name.

It took awhile to really get over it... it will always jump in your mind from time to time. Its calls like that that make you be even more protective and cautious with your own children. Reinforces... here one sec and gone the next.

Sorry to hear of your experience. It sucks I know :(