Didn't Wear PPE - Should I worry ?

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Hospitals are also famous for spreading infections around, let's not forget that.

But now we know despite the hospitals' efforts to stop infections, they can not stop the infections from being transferred by the ambulances and EMS providers. When there is a weak link in the patient care system as it now appears ambulances are, no matter how much the hospitals try, infections will still roll in. This definitely explains a lot especially in LTC where transfer by ambulance is so frequent.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
And as far as MRSA goes...my wife is MRSA positive, my mother in law is, my little boy is...etc...etc.... I would venture at least 20% of all healthcare workers would test MRSA positive from a nasal swab (if not a lot higher).

That does not make you immune from getting another strain which will make you contagious or another disease which will weaken your or your son's immune system which could become a very serious and even deadly event.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
I also find it hilarious when people show up at a hospital for an IFT and put gloves on as soon as they pull up. They walk in, wait around, talk to a nurse, get report and then say hello to their patient... WHILE WEARING GLOVES. They haven't even touched the patient yet! Are we so scared of the thought of big, bad infections that we have to wear gloves to even take a report about a patient?

Yet if a hospital worker is caught with gloves on outside of a patient room they are disciplined. This is just one example of not wanting to make waves with the EMS agencies or some have just given up telling them why they should not walk around a hospital with gloves on. When picking up a patient, you should wash or get and then put the gloves on before entering the patient room.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
So chronic and injured patients do not have communicable diseases?

Have you, or a coworker, ever picked up a MRSA infection from a chronic patient? We have had Nurses get all kinds of crazy infections from patients.

If youve worked in EMS longer than 10 minutes, you problably already carry MRSA.

While i carry a glove pouch with 6 pairs of gloves, i have noticed my glove wearing has gone down as my experience has risen...Though i still have an N95 and a pair of clear glasses on me at all times.

I also wash my hands every time im at the hospital