Denver vs St. Anthony

Medic29

Forum Crew Member
So thankfully the application deadline for Denver Health P-School and St. Anthony's Paramedic Academy are within a month of each other. My plan is to try to get into Denver Health. But if I should fail at that attempt, I still have St. Anthony's as a backup.

Let me get this out now: I do not know any bad things about either program. I chose Denver Health as my first option after telephone interviews with both program heads. Denver has the job I want while St. Anthony's has the helicopter I'd like to belong to. They both are amazing schools (from what I can gather) and I'd be honored to attend either of them.

What I started this thread for was to find out what you know about them, which one you took (if you're from the area and took one) and what you would recommend.

I'm linking their programs below.

St. Anthony's - http://www.sahems.org/paramedic

Denver Health - http://www.denverems.org/education/node/3

What do you think?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Both are great programs. I'd say DH because I believe you get to do your internship with them but I may be wrong.

No offense but I highly doubt Denver Health Paramedic Division will hire you straight out of school but I could be wrong. Going to their program definitely helps your chances though.

It's one of the places I'd love to work but I'm planning on getting a bunch of experience where I'm at now first.

OP
OP
M

Medic29

Forum Crew Member
Everything is done in house for Denver Health. And about the job part, according to the program chief that I talked to, nearly every grad is given a job (someone who went through this please verify) whether it's on a rig or in the ED of Denver Health. He did tell me though that they do not hire new grads from any other program. Only new grads are hired IF they attended the DH program. Which is one reason I've been wanting this program. Especially since they are the main 911 providers of the Denver/Metro area (with RM/Pridemark and fire units assisting).

Beckjhong

Forum Ride Along
I went to St. Anthony's program. If you want your paramedic cert, go there. If you want to challenge yourself and come out of a program that consistently produces quality medics, go to the Swedish/Health One program. Dennis Edgerly is one of the best ems educators around, and has a passion for moving us forward as a profession. I have precepted students from St. A's and Swedish, and couldn't be more impressed with the latter.

OP
OP
M

Medic29

Forum Crew Member
Do you have information on the Swedish one? I'll look when I get home. And if they have a 6mo track, it will be something that I could consider.

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
What are the downfalls of st. anthony's program? Im hoping to attend the jan 2013 class. All of the medics i've met from their program seem to be pretty much on par with the medics from healthONE, but that is in the ED setting. Im hoping to go through red rocks/st francis PA program in the not so distant future, and the college credits given through St. A's are through red rocks. I figure that could do nothing other than help me eventually.

Beckjhong

Forum Ride Along
Check the PA prereqs. A bachelors is required, and paramedic program credits will make no difference. Swedish requires A&P as a prereq for paramedic, and apart from that being a good idea in general, it also satisfies a prereq for the Red Rocks PA program. Swedish paramedic program focuses on moving the paramedic profession forward. Classes are very rigorous, and it is a challenging and positive learning environment. I find other programs in the area to be lacking in these areas. I consistently impressed with the Swedish students I precept.

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
I should clarify. I will graduate with my BS in december. Most of my PA Pre recs are done, I will complete them in the interim between P-school and acceptance to a PA program . I want to get ALS field experience before I dive into PA school. As long as the college credits for paramedic school come from an "academic" institution not a hospital/trade school, they are counted in CASPA towards your cumulative GPA, and i guess possibly your Sgpa if its considered "health science" . St. A's includes RRCC bio106, advanced a&p, in their program. I went to healthONE for EMT/IV/EKG, it is a great program, ALL of their P students rotate through my ED and for the most part seem to be high quality. The St. A's P students are of similar quality. I have not seen them in the field though...

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
The major upside to attending DH is the field internship. High volume 911 all summer is hard to beat. With other programs the internship is not as consistent. Your are expected to run each and every call and I feel that experience is invaluable. You will also get more ALS procedures under your belt than most other institutions.
Yes, after successful completion you are eligible for a job.

OP
OP
M

Medic29

Forum Crew Member
I took the HOBETS test last friday and my interview (which I find out if I was accepted into the program) is this friday for Denver Health. I'm hoping for good news.