Denver Health Paramedics

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
I know there are a few topics on this EMS Department, with that said, I am kind of in a bad spot currently. I currently work as a Fire Medic but I am not happy where I am at currently. I ultimately want to work for a department that does both like South Metro. The thing is I am getting older I will be 32 Next month so im getting to the end of the period where I can test for Departments. Does DH hire people from out of state or from instate more often? How is the burn out with DH or is there any? Are the Medic Units staffed in Denver Fire Stations, or are you out on the street corners? If you are in Stations how is life with the DFD staff?

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Does DH hire people from out of state or from instate more often?

We've had a fair amount of out-of-state hires recently so it shouldn't pose any barrier, especially if you have experience. Getting a Colorado cert from out of state can take some time because of the background check, so if you're interested I'd get going on that soon. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/ems-provider-certification is where to start. There used to be a provisional cert that you could work with while the full cert was pending, but they've redesigned the website and it's not clear to me if that's still an option or not.

How is the burn out with DH or is there any?

It's a busy system (over 112,000 calls in 2014) so there's certainly some, but less so than other places I've worked. We work 4-10s, which to me makes things more manageable.

Are the Medic Units staffed in Denver Fire Stations, or are you out on the street corners? If you are in Stations how is life with the DFD staff?

We street-corner post (except for airport medics). We have extended cab ambulances which makes that much easier!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
And when I finish school in 6 months I look forward to applying!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
My application is in.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I need to apply for my co medic card. My emt card for co just expired

EDIT: Hmm... My FP-C is good enough for a Critical Care Endorsement. Nice

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
I am on the fence on whether or not to apply. I like the fire side of being a Medic thats where my heart is. I would love to end up in Colorado but I am getting to the age where I am not the "ideal" Candidate anymore. If I knew places like South Metro FRA were going to open up again I would probably stay where I am and just test there.