Daily Shift Requirements?

pfd3co

Forum Ride Along
I'm looking for some examples of Daily Shift Requirements such as, station duties and training requirements. We are currently reviewing how we operate on a day to day basis and I would like to get some ideas that are outside of our box! Thanks

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm looking for some examples of Daily Shift Requirements such as, station duties and training requirements. We are currently reviewing how we operate on a day to day basis and I would like to get some ideas that are outside of our box! Thanks

Check the truck, review a protocol and SOP and clean the station. Requiring too much and/or restricting when you can sleep if you are on 24 hour shift is a recipe for disaster.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Check out the truck, and clean the station (each crew has a specific set of areas to clean).

Last edited by a moderator:

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I suppose something like this will vary depending on where you work. One place, which was slow (2000 calls divided between 2 ambulances per year), had chores (vacuuming, cleaning toilets, taking out trash, etc.) based on day of the week in addition to the rig check at the start of the shift. Hand washing the ambulance was based on day of the week, too. After I left, they required at least 1 hour of online CME per month (or maybe per week).

The other place required that the truck be mechanically washed every Wednesday and Saturday or if it got particularly dirty. Trash was emptied as needed and trash taken to curb on trash days for some stations. As far as other cleaning chores, it was done by hired cleaners as we were generally too busy to have time to clean. Oh and on Sunday's the night shift was responsible for checking inventory and the next night shift was responsible for stocking the shelves after supplies were delivered the next day. Though on a slow day, the day shift might just go ahead and stock the closet since supplies were usually dropped off in the afternoon.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
First hour we workout. Then truck checks, daily house chores, cqi, con ed, and community awareness. After 6pm our time is our own.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Checking the truck is done first thing in the morning. Cleaning the truck is done by the off-going crew. Station chores are done by the off-going crew.

My only other duty is to try to not kill anyone for ~24 hours.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Only requirements is rig check, wash rig for all watches, we wash out rolling trucks twice a day.

Morning watch wash floors in kitchen, hallway, lockerroom every day, vacuum tv room, bunk rooms, and computer rooms every friday.

Night Watch wash all 2nd line trucks, both rescues and bay floor once every other week, front line truck gets waxed once a week, also do complete inventory and fill out request forms every friday

No set schedule on when this has to be done, just before the end of watch

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked for a private service that made us responsible for:
1. Making sure the truck was clean and stocked at the beginning of a shift.
2. Using any down time while not doing the 911 circuit to do PR at local facilities (we handed out pens, sticky notes, freshly baked cookies, etc.).
3. Wash the truck and make sure it was clean and stocked at the end of the shift.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I worked for a private service that made us responsible for:
1. Making sure the truck was clean and stocked at the beginning of a shift.
2. Using any down time while not doing the 911 circuit to do PR at local facilities (we handed out pens, sticky notes, freshly baked cookies, etc.).
3. Wash the truck and make sure it was clean and stocked at the end of the shift.

Cookies? Mmmm

medic417

The Truth Provider
As Paramedics just inventory narcs then sleep or what ever. The emt has to detail ambulance inside and out, inventory it and stock it. That is why you get the Paramedic. :p

Actually all at work do the above together then detail the station that should have been left clean from previous crew. Occasional PR. Only takes about 2 hours per 24 to do all the above. As someone else said bad ideal to require people on 24's to be busy when they should be resting in case gets busy later.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Cookies? Mmmm
It was the responsibility of the shift supervisor to provide each unit about 25 freshly baked Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. They'd bag them in cookie bags with our logo and number on them. Our "deal" was that when a facility called us for a transport they got to help themselves to the cookies.

Most of my 7P-7A shifts had a cookie or two for a late night snack and a few for breakfast.

We'd also have several bags full of candy, badge clips/lanyards, nice pens, post-it note, highlighters, etc. It was a genius move on the part of our CEO, though it was a pain getting called to a facility when I was out of cookies.

Nimrod_BasketCase

Forum Probie
Your company rocks cookies and candy =D. If only they did that where I live. Do you guys have to check your AED’s and pulse ox and stuff everyday.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Check the truck, clean the truck, make sure the pager is set so it'll wake you up from your truck nap. That's pretty much it.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Required or not, I always made a habit of checking anything with batteries and anything like portable O2 tanks, glucometer strips, meds, etc in particular. Also the entire jump kit as I had down time. I think it's a good habit.

18G

Paramedic
My Department is very flexible. We come on-duty and are only responsible for checking the ALS gear and then basic cleaning like the bathroom, dayroom floor, take out the trash, and keeping up with the laundry since we don't exchange sheets and such at our main hospital.

All in all we are able to complete everything within an hour.

After all that is done the time is ours to do what we want. Watch TV, take a nap, go get breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc, play online, etc.

And of course respond to calls.

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
At the ems company i work for, the on duty wakes 1hr before to wash trucks, clean dishes, take the trash out, clean station. the oncoming crew, checks the truck in, check the monitor batteries... one big thing is checking underneath the hood.. fluids, lights and sirens properly working. Ensure truck is properly clean, and our boots are shined.

Nimrod_BasketCase

Forum Probie
When we run calls in my class the instructors require us to do a check list that names everything in the jump bag we need to make sure everything is there as well as making sure we have stuff that’s not in the jump bag like back board, traction splints, KED’s vest …… We also have to check the AED make sure the peds pads and adult pads are there and it works. We check the suction to make sure we have at least 300 and we check our oxygen too. Were suppose to check the glucose monitor and make sure we have strips and the needles that are one time use. Then when we get back from a call we have to check in everything and get supplies we used and replace them with new ones. We don’t usually turn on the pulse ox we just make sure it’s there last time we ran a call the battery’s ended up being dead thankfully it was only a fake call. Now I’m going to be sure to check everything with battery’s.