Criminal History Question

vin

Forum Ride Along
I live in Columbus Ohio and I go to school at Columbus State Community College.
I'm about to take the EMT-Basic class and there is a background check with that. Eventually I'd like to get an associate Paramedic Degree. Eventually I'd like to go back and get a Nursing Degree.

However, about a year and a half ago I was wrongfully charged with misdemeanor Possession of Paraphenalia. Long story short I let two high school friends borrow my car to get cigarettes and they left a pipe in my car. They refused to step forward and I was stuck with the charge.
About a year prior to that I was charged with underage consumption.

I'd like to know if this would prevent me from following this career path.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
If this happened here in Canada and if you were under the age of 18 then it would not interfere with you become a paramedic. If the paraphenalia charge happened when you were over 18 then it would be up to the licensing body. The licensing body would look at the type of offence and the situation surrounding it. The underage consumption would not be a factor as here in Canada that is a regulatory offence as opposed to a criminal offience.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Haven't seen this in a while.

We used to get these questions all the time.

Basically you have to declare anything on the paper work you have to fill out. Be honest. The turth will out.

The very best advice anyone can give is:

"consult a lawyer."

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I live in Columbus Ohio and I go to school at Columbus State Community College.
I'm about to take the EMT-Basic class and there is a background check with that. Eventually I'd like to get an associate Paramedic Degree. Eventually I'd like to go back and get a Nursing Degree.

However, about a year and a half ago I was wrongfully charged with misdemeanor Possession of Paraphenalia. Long story short I let two high school friends borrow my car to get cigarettes and they left a pipe in my car. They refused to step forward and I was stuck with the charge.
About a year prior to that I was charged with underage consumption.

I'd like to know if this would prevent me from following this career path.

Were you only charged or did you plead guilty/no contest? Were you convicted? The best advice was already given by the first 2 posters, be honest and consult an attorney.

OP
OP
V

vin

Forum Ride Along
Yes. I've been charged with both these crimes. Both of them are on my record.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Given the current employment situation, it is very likely that both of these will affect your ability to get hired in this field.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Consult a lawyer.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
So it's a conviction? Big difference between charged and convicted/found guilty. Consult with the school, State EMS office & attorney. This certainly will be a pain to deal with however if dealt with properly you MAY still be able to have a career in EMS. Many variables play a role and unfortunately some of them are out of your control. Don't screw around with this rather be proactive. Don't let a future employer found out about this on their own, tell them upfront. Be honest and tell them how you've learned from it even if it was your friends who left the pipe in the car. It's tough and unethical for anyone on here to given any sort of legal advice beyond "consult with an attorney" not to mention that laws vary so much state to state. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
Just so you know, I have a DUI 4 years ago, an open container on a public road way 6 years ago and had NO problems getting my EMT-B and I have gone through Paramedic School and have taken the NR exam (Failed first attempt). As long as you are open about it and put it on all your documentation when asked it should be no problem. Like I mentioned I have a DUI Conviction and still can get my Medic and get hired as one. Most people mess up when they are young it happens. Don't get to down on it just be honest with everything!

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Consult a lawyer for the legal specifics.

As far as employment, I know several firefighters/paramedics who have used in the past, but werent charged and a few who were, and were still hired. Up to the company or municipality really.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Just so you know, I have a DUI 4 years ago, an open container on a public road way 6 years ago and had NO problems getting my EMT-B and I have gone through Paramedic School and have taken the NR exam (Failed first attempt). As long as you are open about it and put it on all your documentation when asked it should be no problem. Like I mentioned I have a DUI Conviction and still can get my Medic and get hired as one. Most people mess up when they are young it happens. Don't get to down on it just be honest with everything!

It varies state to state though. A guy in my EMT class had a PAULA (possession of alcohol under the legal age limit) on his record (and rightfully admitted to it) he had gotten it at 19, was 20 at the time of class. The state told him it had to be off his record for 2 years before he would be able to test.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Also just because there is no legal statue to prevent someone with a DUI from being hired as a medic or EMT does not mean that it will be easy. In anything close to a saturated job market it will be close to impossible, or at least it is where I am. Many places are going to choose people with clean driving records only for insurance purposes, which sounds to some as unfair but I don't fault private companies for trying to keep their costs down.

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
Yep, I tried to get a job at a Private Ambulance company and was told since I have a DUI I can't be hired because of Insurance purposes, which I totally understand and not upset about. I was told to come back when I get my medic and it would be different because then I wouldn't have to drive. The side effects of having a lapse in judgement. I am looking at the Fire/Medic side anyways. I have recently been hired at a Paid Part-Time Fire Department as a Firefighter/EMT-B but as soon as I get my Paramedic NR I'll be doing that.