Creighton

EMS 911

Forum Probie
Is anyone in Creighton's new MS in EMS? I found the curriculum interesting and am curious if anyone has been accepted yet and if so, what the "career and life equivalency" credits consist of in order to qualify.

MidwestEMT

Forum Crew Member
I went through creighton's EMT program just in the last year, and with any luck, will continue through paramedic starting in just a few months. As for the overall EMS program, it is hands down, the best in the area. However, I myself have looked into the MS EMS. All I can say about it is that if you have the time, patience, and money to do so, and you still want to, then go for it. Money wise, it is going to be expensive, as creighton is a private jesuit university, which i'm sure you already knew. Time wise, it's an extremely long process, as with any MS degree. Also in addition to all of the EMS classes, there are the standard english, math, history, etc classes you will have to take anywhere. Here is the kicker though: it is the previously mentioned jesuit university, where you will have to take many theology and religion classes, which will take over a year just by themselves. I have many friends who are undergrad students in other programs who must take these same classes, who say they are pure hell on the mind. If you're open to learning new things, then go for it. Otherwise, if you are a religious person and set in your ways (whatever they may be), word has it that they almost attack other religions and ideas in these classes.

On the flip side, encouraging you to go, there are many great things about it. Not only do you get the amazing paramedic course, but it is also essentially a degree in the entire field of emergency management, and they dive extremely deep into the entire field of EMS. There is a course taught by one of the EMS instructors on Medico-legal ethics and issues specifically in EMS, which seems like an amazing class to take, as we've gotten a snippet from the instructor in our EMT class.

With all that being said, if you have the time, money, and patience, do it. It is a great program from everything i've looked into and heard from instructors.

OP
OP
E

EMS 911

Forum Probie
Thanks to your response to my post. Actually, I have my A.A.S and have been a nationally registered paramedic for a few years now. I am also in my last semester of my bachelor of science degree of emergency services now, so I will have my undergrad degree before entering the MS of EMS degree. I was looking specifically at the Master's program in EMS at Creighton and two years is very doable for me, since I can work and do classes afterwards since it is all online.

If you know anything about the M.S. program though, let me know! :cool:

MidwestEMT

Forum Crew Member
Sorry I was mistaken. I was under the impression you were just entering college. Now that I know you already have your bachelors, yes, it is a great program. I have two friends in the masters program now that went through their BS there as well. They say that the MS is a great program, since they've gotten all of that other crap out of the way. I would say to go for it if its something you really want. I've heard no negatives about the masters program itself, just the junk for BS.

Are you from the Omaha area, or are you doing it strictly online?

OP
OP
E

EMS 911

Forum Probie
Sorry I was mistaken. I was under the impression you were just entering college. Now that I know you already have your bachelors, yes, it is a great program. I have two friends in the masters program now that went through their BS there as well. They say that the MS is a great program, since they've gotten all of that other crap out of the way. I would say to go for it if its something you really want. I've heard no negatives about the masters program itself, just the junk for BS.

Are you from the Omaha area, or are you doing it strictly online?

I am not even close to Nebraska, so I am relieved that it's all online or I couldn't even consider it. ^_^ If you don't mind me asking, what classes are your friends taking in the MS program? I am just curious to see how they like it and if the classes are challenging enough at the graduate level. Since you went to Creighton, do you feel that the academics were up-to-par? Are the instructors helpful?

I really liked how Creighton did quarter-session classes for the MS program. It seems like a great idea and makes things less monotonous.