Cq cq cq

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not Fremont CERT.

Oh, and in some circles I am referred to "Son of W6NDE"

(Yes, I am creepy sometimes. Get used to it. My enemies do!);)

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
All I know is 10/4... the rest is simply Greek... :p

LOL, and you'll NEVER here 10-4 on HAM bands, unless someone is messing around. Scoot on over to CB and WATCH OUT :p

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Gotta love the CB, especially Jack Burton and the Pork Chop Express ;)

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
im so confused. what is a ham, and why do they have weird names?

HAM is a nickname for Amateur Radio Operators. We are licensed by the Federal Communications Commission. Those weird names are actually Call Signs, just like WKRP, or WCBS. We have certain frequencies that are reserved for our use. The amateur part is exactly that. We are not allowed to use our privileges for any compensation. Most of us do volunteer disaster communications aid.

Take a look at http://www.wedothat-radio.org/ for a better idea.

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
oic. thats pretty sweet. ive always thought itd be cool to do somethin like that, just never really got around to lookin into it

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
oic. thats pretty sweet. ive always thought itd be cool to do somethin like that, just never really got around to lookin into it

Well now's as good of time as any to get into it. Especially since they've redone the licenses. Don't even have to learn Morris Code anymore for the licenses.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Cq?

I've always wanted my license, just never really got committed to it. Enjoyed listening to my scanners for a while.

But what is the ' Cq Cq Cq? '

Thanks!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Alright, I don't feel so bad. At least I'm not the only one. Thought they were talking about motorcycles at first. (which I also don't have a great deal of knowledge on)

Jeez, I feel like I did when I first looked at an EMT book, not understanding a thing I read...

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
I've always wanted my license, just never really got committed to it. Enjoyed listening to my scanners for a while.

Thanks!

It basically means, "All stations stand by for an important announcement/message".

http://www.ac6v.com/73.htm

We use it at the start of our weekly practice Nets, and sure as heck use it at the start of real emergency Directed Nets.

MRE

Forum Captain
Well now's as good of time as any to get into it. Especially since they've redone the licenses. Don't even have to learn Morris Code anymore for the licenses.

Should still know how to spell it though. "Morse".

Samuel Morse would be rolling in his grave.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRE

Forum Captain

Thanks!

CQ is an old telegraph signal (morse code) which meant "Attention".

Now it is used by ham radio operators, most commonly on the HF bands, which are between 2MHz and 28MHz when they are looking for someone to contact. You will also hear a lot of phonetics for callsigns being used for better readability on the air.

I.E.

CQ CQ, This is Whisky One India Mexico.

Then if somebody heard me and wanted to talk, then they would answer.

The other thing you will hear a lot is "73". It is pronounced "Seven Three", not "Seventy Three", "Seventy Threes" or ""Seventy Thirds" as many people use. It is another code from the days of the telegraph, and means "Best Regards". It is often used when ending a conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
CQ, the old "Charlie Queen"...an all-call PING

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CQ_(call)

Nowadays a shorthand for "Can anyone hear me, and please reply".
The QSL referred to earlier is a written confirmation (post card) for your "radio shack" 's wall to prove your signal went out as far as it did.

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
should still know how to spell it though. "morse".

Samuel morse would be rolling in his grave.

- .-. ..- . - .... .- -

.. - .-- .- ... .- .-.. --- -. --. -.. .- -.--

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
KE7YFO. Not active on the air (At least, not until I stop spending money on knives and flashlights long enough to buy a mobile for my car). My SAR group sometimes uses ham frequencies, so I had motivation there get my Technician license. Studying for General and Extra now as a good excuse to learn some basic electronics.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
KB9WLT ... tech since 2000.

The only reason I got my license was for emergency comms. I can't stand all the chit chat.