CPR Recertifications

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I am a first responder. I currently have a valid American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer Card. Can I renew it with the AHA to get a AHA CPR for the Healthcare Provider Card? Thanks

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I am a first responder. I currently have a valid American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer Card. Can I renew it with the AHA to get a AHA CPR for the Healthcare Provider Card? Thanks

No. You must take the initial BLS provider course with the American Heart Association. Get in contact with your local medical center to inquire as to when classes are available.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If by renew you mean take the whole class, yes.

You are not "stuck" with one certifying agency or another... you can even have a card from the ARC and AHA if you want.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Did ARC ever change their healthcare provider to a 2 year certification?

reaper

Working Bum
Just send me $100 and your name, we get it taken care of! :)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
He means take the whole initial certification class, not just the recert class.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does any organization allow renewals without the class ?

I dont think so.

No, he was referencing some of the recent scandals (most recently in MA) relating to certifications without a class.
The AHA does have a blended online-version. The majority of the class is held online, and you go in for a short session in a classroom to practice and be tested on skills.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
No, he was referencing some of the recent scandals (most recently in MA) relating to certifications without a class.
The AHA does have a blended online-version. The majority of the class is held online, and you go in for a short session in a classroom to practice and be tested on skills.

There is always potential for abuse with samll schools offering certs with no class time, not just ems, not just in Mass.....

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not about small schools... but individual/independent instructors...

I am an American Heart Association BLS instructor. Whenever I hold a class, the only thing I am absolutely required to charge you for is the less than $5 dollar fee for your certification card. I am allowed to charge, within reason any amount I wish for my time and effort. However, if the AHA faculty representative who certifies me as an instructor through my training agency finds out that I am trying to charge something grossly outrageous like, $500 per class, they will put a stop to it and probably take my instructor card.

I am required to teach 4 classes every renewal cycle to renew my instructor cert. I usually teach a few renewal classes and hold a couple with the local
school of nursing for all prospective students looking to get in with the program. I typically charge $45 per person for an initial certification class, at the school of nursing, I cut them a deal and charge $25.

I have to take the time to reserve the practice mannequins and the trainer AED from my service as well as pay for the plastic inserts you put in the mannequin's airway to prevent students from giving direct mouth to mouth to your mannequins and getting germs on them. I have to take the time to print up my course rosters, create my flyers for the course, send out pre-course letters telling students the three sources to get their student manual from unless I decide to borrow 10 from my service, which I usually only do for renewal classes, I have to take the time to ensure that whatever facility I am at has given me a room with enough tables to allow you to practice, as well as ensure that I have the appropriate AV equipment to show the instruction DVD to the class, then I have to actually teach the class, give you your tests, grade your tests, remediate you as necessary, hand you your course survey, then make sure your cards reach you. Not only that, I usually keep your numbers on file so I know when you are about to expire so I can call you up for one of my renewal courses.

A lot of work goes into this, I earn my $45 per student.