CPR question.

A.Anaka

Forum Probie
What is the reason we do 15:2 ratio of compressions to ventilations for 2 rescuer CPR for children and infants?

I was asked this question today by one of my students and the best thing I could think of was that children are smaller, hence it takes much less to restore a good BP, although I feel that answer really doesn't quite speak the truth.

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated as I don't enjoy teaching BLS for HCP and not having good answers for questions.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Infants and those that are in the pediatric range has a faster heart rate, as well as faster and higher metabolism and require more circulation than those as an adult (this is a watered down explanation). Hence the reason when one takes a neonatal resuscitation CPR course, you are instructed to initiate CPR when the heart rate < 60 BPM.

At one time the traditional 5:1 was taught but found to be confusing to the laymen as well.
R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/112/24_suppl/IV-206#R28-170809

Mathematical and animal models showed that matching of pulmonary blood flow and ventilation might be more appropriate at compression-ventilation ratios higher than 15:2.(28,29 )There was concern, however, particularly among pediatric experts, that inadequate ventilation rates could reduce survival from pediatric and asphyxial (eg, drowning) arrest. To achieve optimal compression rates and reduce the frequency of interruptions in compressions, a universal compression-ventilation ratio of 30:2 for all lone rescuers of victims from infancy (excluding newborns) through adulthood is recommended by consensus, based on integration of the best human, animal, manikin, and theoretical data available. The 30:2 ratio is recommended to simplify training in 1-rescuer or 2-rescuer CPR for adults and all lay rescuer resuscitation. A compression-ventilation ratio of 15:2 is recommended for 2-rescuer CPR (a skill taught chiefly to healthcare providers and lifeguards) for infants and children (to the onset of puberty). This recommendation will result in the delivery of more rescue breaths per minute of CPR to victims with a high prevalence of asphyxial arrest.

For the mathematical methodology for this, the two references sited in the article will direct you.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I spent about ten minutes typing out a response... and then realized that I didn't know the answer. Thanks Rid and Vent!

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
In New Zealand it's 30/2 for everyone, Adult and Child/Infant,
no matter if you are doing CPR with one or two people.
Interesting that it's different here.
Guess they wanted to keep it simple to remember,
other than that, I'm not sure why that is.

Cheers Enjoynz

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
enjoynz said:
In New Zealand it's 30/2 for everyone, Adult and Child/Infant,
no matter if you are doing CPR with one or two people.
My protocols too state that I am to do 30:2 for adult, child, infant. 1 and 2 rescuer CPR.