CPR Certifications

ericcoch

Forum Probie
Does anybody know if a CPR for the Professional Rescuer card from the American Red Cross will be acceptable or just AHA.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Has to be AHA.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
To be enrolled in an EMT-B course?

For my school it can be either AHA's BLS for Healthcare Provider OR ARC's BLS for the Professional Rescuer. Same class, different company.

I'm in Colorado, it could be different elsewhere.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
thats a state to state deal. mass will accept both.

call your oems or look it up on the website. unless of course theres another member here from your state.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It is not state to state if you are going for national registry, I assume, since its in the NREMT section, hes asking for registry.

NR wants AHA.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Really? They take my CPR Pro from the Red Cross every year.
That's the major difference, red cross cert is for one year, AHA is for two.
Cheaper to do the two year cert.
I just do red cross because I never do CPR, and I figure I need to practice it twice as much.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
I don't remember having to send proof of CPR/AED certification into National Registry when I took my test. The only time I had to verify was when I enrolled in EMT courses.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
My little re-cert brochure states the need for a copy of my CPR card, but it just says "CPR for the professional Rescuer", so I figure they don't care much.
My State isn't picky either. They are picky about a lot of stuff, but not that fortunately.

reaper

Working Bum
Most states are now accepting CPR PRO.

They realize that both are a joke now, so it really does not matter!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Maybe it was just a state requirement then.. We did use the NREMT as our state test, after all.

On my application it asked for a copy of my CPR card and specified it was AHA Health Care Provider CPR.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually neither organization "certifies" anyone in CPR. Rather each describes that an individual met their standards. Yes, NREMT accepts either one as long as it is health care provider level, although AHA is considered more medical.

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
Maybe it was just a state requirement then.. We did use the NREMT as our state test, after all.

On my application it asked for a copy of my CPR card and specified it was AHA Health Care Provider CPR.

FL does accept CPR PRO also!

Sasha

Forum Chief
FL does accept CPR PRO also!

Im pretty sure it doesnt. We went through some drama with one student who had Red cross as oppose to AHA and how the medical director wasnt going to let him do his practical because he didnt meet the requirements, but this was almost a year ago (How time flies!) so maybe its changed recently. Ah well, I prefer AHA anyway.

reaper

Working Bum
They have accepted it for last the 5-6 years.

Contact the state EMS office for answers. Medical Directors don't always have the correct info.

Sasha

Forum Chief
They have accepted it for last the 5-6 years.

Contact the state EMS office for answers. Medical Directors don't always have the correct info.

Considering we tested in front of the state medical director, I would hope he would!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
p.s. also NREMT officially does NOT have Basic EMT practicals rather they allow the state or school to perform them. They do offer guidelines.

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
Considering we tested in front of the state medical director, I would hope he would!

That is why I stated to contact the state EMS. The State medical director does not know all the rules for licensing.

Some of us do know a little about FL EMS!;) Just ask, if you have a question.

mikie

Forum Lurker
In my basics class there was someone who had AHA but it wasn't for pro-rescuer, layperson (i think). and they wouldn't let her continue the course cause it wasn't the "pre-req"

It's state/school dependent

Sasha

Forum Chief
What is really the difference between medical provider and lay person? They are both push up and down real fast here, blow there, and you are good to go joe.