CPAP and facial hair??

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I have never had an opportunity to use CPAP on someone with facial hair. I know people who use CPAP at home who have moustaches and goatee's. It would certainly be difficult to get a seal around the masks. If you've tried this, how did you get a good seal? I have read that you can mat the hair done with K-Y or Vaseline to make it easier.

Any opinions?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have never had an opportunity to use CPAP on someone with facial hair. I know people who use CPAP at home who have moustaches and goatee's. It would certainly be difficult to get a seal around the masks. If you've tried this, how did you get a good seal? I have read that you can mat the hair done with K-Y or Vaseline to make it easier.

Any opinions?

Honestly most masks that are made for emergent use (and most masks in general) have a seal that's forgiving enough to not have to worry about it. You might have to put it a little tighter than normally though. I've never used anything to help mat the hair down and I've never had any issues, even with males with thick beards.

At home they also make CPAP 'masks' that just bascially act as sealing nasal canulas, which is one that I've noticed people with beards tend to use.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Any opinions?

I'm with TJ. I've never had too much trouble with the emergent CPAP masks getting a good seal with facial hair. The masks are either thick cloth or multi-layered plastic/rubber, and designed to seal to virtually everything. You can troubleshoot major leaks by securing the mask tighter in those areas, as well.

I spend a long time coaching my patients on CPAP (getting the patient involved keeps it in place and I find is better tolerated), and ask the patients to hold the mask themselves for the first few minutes and patients are good at minimizing leaks.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The only time you should a problem is if it's a really big bushy beard, or perhaps a smaller beard combined with some real narrow or otherwise abnormally shaped facial features.

With the big bushy beard, Vaseline or KY might work, but more likely just ends up making a big crappy mess.