Cool Stethoscope?

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Hey, what's up guys?

So my girlfriend just got accepted to med school and I wanna get her a really good/cute stethoscope. Maybe even get her name on it or somehting as a congratulations gift.

Anyone know any sites that have good deals (and can possible personalize them)?

Anjel

Forum Angel
For girls.

Ultrascopes.com

I really want the zebra one lol

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you haven't yet,

go with an extra lab coat or something that every other person in the world isn't going to get her for the rest of her life.

I have actually taken to regifting stethoscopes.

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
Starbucks gift card.

Tell her congrats. It's a long, hard process but worth it. It can also be extremely tough on relationships so it's gonna require give and take on both sides.

Anyway.... really can't go wrong with one of the Littman cardio steths, probably the most popular overall. I use a welch allyn Harvey DLX and really like it. Not the loudest but definitely clear.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Or get her a worthwhile stethoscope like the recording Littman. That way she can record oddities for later review and study

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Cardiology III is basically the standard for med school. Not that they all need a scope that good, just what everyone tends to buy.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
+1 on the Cardiology III if you dont go for the recording version

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
For girls.

Ultrascopes.com

I really want the zebra one lol

+1

They're also good for boys who are secure in who they are :) I want the happy face one.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
If your on a budget.

TIN%20CAN%20PHONE.jpg

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for all the input, guys. I’m in the process of looking over some of these sites you’ve all suggested right now. (So if anyone of you know an exact site for this—feel free to link it.)

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
If you haven't yet,

go with an extra lab coat or something that every other person in the world isn't going to get her for the rest of her life.

I have actually taken to regifting stethoscopes.

If she had been in med-school for awhile—or someone had already gotten her one—I wouldn’t be doing it. But I do intend on getting a nice stethoscope for her. (Actually I really like the idea of a recording one. I’m gonna see if I can find a recording one that I can get in cute colors and get her name on it.) I’m staying away from lab coats as of this moment because I don’t know her size. (And you know what they say about guys buying cloths for girls when you don’t know their size lol—I haven’t been seeing her that long.) Moreover, I need to make sure it’s a “short” lab coat—which I need to find. (the one site I checked so far didn’t have them.) But they don’t seem too expensive. I’m prepared to drop 200-300 on a stethoscope, so another 30-40 on a lab coat would be nothing.

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Starbucks gift card.

Tell her congrats. It's a long, hard process but worth it. It can also be extremely tough on relationships so it's gonna require give and take on both sides.

Anyway.... really can't go wrong with one of the Littman cardio steths, probably the most popular overall. I use a welch allyn Harvey DLX and really like it. Not the loudest but definitely clear.

I know it can be hard to relationships. And we even have…a couple of odds stacked against us with it. I mean, so all I know, we may end it in the summer. (I’m not gonan go into details of why and bore you all—unless someone relaly wants to know.) But that’s not going to stop me from caring for her. I’m in flight school currently and that’s pretty demanding to. (At least with six classes each semester and still working full time as a medic it is.) So I know we may not work. Still, I care for this girl and if we wind up not working because of med school I still wish her the best in her endeavors and may as well send her off with a cute stethoscope she can have to remember me by.

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
As it stands, I think I'm going to get her this one:

http://www.allheart.com/thrhythm.html

It doesn't seem to be able to be personalized. the color is fine, and maybe I can bring it somewhere (Like those "things remembered) types places) and maybe get her name engraved on it--after I research and make sure engraving on it shouldn't effect the quality of it lol.)

Anjel

Forum Angel
If you want to get her a "good" steth. You need to get a littman.

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you want to get her a "good" steth. You need to get a littman.

I get really irritated. People swear by these scope but don't even know how to spell it.

It's Littmann.

And they're not the best, just most recognized.

I have a Kila (recent gift) and a ultrascope (also a gift).

I love my ultrascope. I have owned a littmann lightweight and a littmann classic and used a littmann cardiology and my partner owns the electronic one. My ultrascope is better in my opinion. I hear everything more clearly.

It is also unique so it is less likely to be stolen and I wipe it down and allow pedis to play with it on transports. They like the bright color.

I like the Kila as well, I hear everything clearly, it is just like the littmann in construction and acoustics but significantly less expensive.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I get really irritated. People swear by these scope but don't even know how to spell it.

It's Littmann.

And they're not the best, just most recognized.

I have a Kila (recent gift) and a ultrascope (also a gift).

I love my ultrascope. I have owned a littmann lightweight and a littmann classic and used a littmann cardiology and my partner owns the electronic one. My ultrascope is better in my opinion. I hear everything more clearly.

It is also unique so it is less likely to be stolen and I wipe it down and allow pedis to play with it on transports. They like the bright color.

I like the Kila as well, I hear everything clearly, it is just like the littmann in construction and acoustics but significantly less expensive.

It is like most things...

The user behind the equipment.

Most users will never be good enough to be inhibited by equipment.

the littmann scopes are manufactured by 3m, their quality comes from the manufacturing specifications. (margin of acceptable error)

Which means you could buy any 3m scope and it will potentially be as good as a littmann. It might also be slightly worse. But unless you are doing more advanced auscultations, it won't matter.

What I have noticed in EMS is the littmann cuts out a fair amount of background noise. But I would wager it is easily overcome by the right earpieces and not having your feet on the deck of a running ambulance which will interfere with your conductive hearing. (which is actually what a stethoscope is for)

The most diagnostic (sensitive ones) are actually the ones used in OB for fetal heart tones. It is about as inexpensive and simple as it gets.

Just like buying the finest bicycle will not make you Greg Lemond, buying the highest quality scope will not make you any better at auscultation either.

The reason I have the Littmann I do (which I have used for more than 10 years now) is because I got it for an almost criminally low price because it was on clearance from a nursing uniform store going out of business.

I only know one provider outside of the internet who actually uses an electronic scope, and only because it was a gift, she said she would not have purchased it herself.

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
Well, I just bought that one I linked above.

As near as I can tell, getting something engraved on the bell won't do any harm to the quality. (if anyone can confirm or deny this it would be awesome.) So i was thinking of getting her name and possible some sort of quote on it. (a shorter quote, obviously)