Combitube removed from EMTB NSTC???

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Primary Care: EMT-Basic
Ambulance Officer: EMT-Basic or EMT-Basic with enhanced skills
Paramedic: EMT-Intermediate
Advanced Paramedc: EMT-Paramedic

Remember that because Ambulance Officers (National Certificate) can do nitro, glucose etc they are (in some jurisdictions) considered EMT Intermediate. Generally speaking an EMT-I can give ALS drugs and do EKG/manual defib, which here are Paramedic (IV/Cardiac) level interventions.

Not sure if the Wairarapa DHB uses the same levels and scopes of practice as the rest of the country but I would be interested to find out.

Just would like to make one correction to this one, if you don't mind Kiwimedic.
As I am a Primary Care Ambulance Officer and have talked to a good many of our American EMT friends, I can tell you that our PC level is not the same as EMT-B. But the US do have a First Responder level which would be much the same. We can give Entonox, but that's all that is different.
EMT-B is equal to our AO level here!

Cheers enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
We got a memo from our state ems division last week that said that the DOT had not included the combitube as a skill for EMTBs in it's latest National Standard Training Cirriculum. Has anyone out there heard similiar or read through the NSTC yet? I haven't had time and was hoping someone would be able to confirm or deny that. Thanks.

Sorry for stealing your thread before, just wanted to clear any confusion with my skill level. (I don't want people thinking I'm something, that I'm not!:blush:).
As Kiwimedic said. In NZ we don't use a combi tube, but recently the Laryngeal mask airway (LMA) has been added to the (AO) EMT-B level.
So it seems weird that they would take that skill at EMT-B level away from you? Or have I mis-understood your post?

Cheers Enjoynz

Last edited by a moderator: