Combitube removed from EMTB NSTC???

wildmedicspm

Forum Ride Along
We got a memo from our state ems division last week that said that the DOT had not included the combitube as a skill for EMTBs in it's latest National Standard Training Cirriculum. Has anyone out there heard similiar or read through the NSTC yet? I haven't had time and was hoping someone would be able to confirm or deny that. Thanks.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I know this was being discussed in the draft proposal of the Scope of Practice, but wasn't aware that it had been adopted yet.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't say for sure, but from what I remember of the last draft I read, that's accurate. And gotta say: good call on their part. And that it doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Good call in that the basic course is so short and absurdley dumbed down (just like the medic curriculum) that there is no way a basic should be attempting a combitube.

Not shocking in that the standards for EMT's at all levels are far to low and I don't really see a reversal of that trend coming in the near future.

Not to hijack this or anything, but does anyone who has seen the new standards know if CPAP has been added to the medic curriculum? Or is it still to new and "unproven" for the DOT?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Combitube was never considered to be a basic skill per NHTSA. It is an advanced airway and should be taught and treated as such. It comes with many complications, risks, and advantages. The reason of my concern on allowing anyone other than an advanced level inserting it.

Each state can add to the level of the Basic, Intermediate, etc.. but cannot reduce the level taught.

I agree, the curriculum had been diluted, we will see what the current one will be like. I am aware the Paramedic curriculum has been increased intensely. I recommend taking collegiate level anatomy in the future.

R/r 911

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree, the curriculum had been diluted, we will see what the current one will be like. I am aware the Paramedic curriculum has been increased intensely. I recommend taking collegiate level anatomy in the future.

R/r 911
Say what!? Can you elaborate on that at all? The last draft I've seen (granted that was over a year ago if not 2) was not really an improvement at all.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Say what!? Can you elaborate on that at all? The last draft I've seen (granted that was over a year ago if not 2) was not really an improvement at all.

Those over 2 years ago was scrapped. Please do not confuse the "Scope of Practice" with those of the "NHTSA" education curriculum. They are different.

http://www.nemses.org/documents.html

Here is a powerpoint, I highly recommend to view that explains the process and proposed ideas.
http://www.nemses.org/edstandards0907.ppt#1

R/r 911

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I took my EMT-B class in the first half of 2006. The Combitube was never taught to us, nor mentioned, nor shown. I honestly don't even know what one looks like. So the fact that it's been removed from the curriculum makes me feel no sense of loss whatsoever.

Capt.Hook

Forum Crew Member
Wow. Eye opener. I know combitube is still being taught in WI. One wonders what other skills for all levels are used in some states or areas while not in others and why. I plan to do more research.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Those over 2 years ago was scrapped. Please do not confuse the "Scope of Practice" with those of the "NHTSA" education curriculum. They are different.

http://www.nemses.org/documents.html

Here is a powerpoint, I highly recommend to view that explains the process and proposed ideas.
http://www.nemses.org/edstandards0907.ppt#1

R/r 911

Looks like someone is finally on the right track!! I love that they want to do away with all the emt-alphabet and use ems responder as the generic term. This makes me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jolt

Forum Crew Member
We were never taught the combitube either, but I did practice it a few times on the airway manikin whenever I was bored. That and ETT intubation. :)

OPAs got boring after a while...

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Removing Combitube? While that might be the case, more states are having Basics start IVs and do actual intubation. It seems to be they would want combitube to be part of the cirriculum in order to have proper training and standards.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Removing Combitube? While that might be the case, more states are having Basics start IVs and do actual intubation. It seems to be they would want combitube to be part of the cirriculum in order to have proper training and standards.

Actually, there are few states that want the basic to intubate. Rather there are those that have encompassed the Intermediate and basic together. Basic EMT is really an intermediate level, without the title and of course pay, recognition. As well, there are still heated debates even to allow intubation at the Paramedic level. I believe they will still allow such, but may be restricted in the future.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Never saw or heard of a combitube at the EMT-B level.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, there are few states that want the basic to intubate. Rather there are those that have encompassed the Intermediate and basic together. Basic EMT is really an intermediate level, without the title and of course pay, recognition. As well, there are still heated debates even to allow intubation at the Paramedic level. I believe they will still allow such, but may be restricted in the future.

R/r 911

I have heard of this. Another reason why EMS needs strong representation.

In Illinois, intubation is a Basic skill.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Never saw or heard of a combitube at the EMT-B level.

It was part of my EMT-B training in Missouri and now I live in Illinois (as a student) and we can use them. I'm on an ILS squad but as a BLS provider, can still use the combitube (per protocol: must be apneic/pulseless)

isn't it also taught on the National Reg. 'level?' Because we were told it could've been one of the 'random' practical skills we were tested on.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
isn't it also taught on the National Reg. 'level?' Because we were told it could've been one of the 'random' practical skills we were tested on.

Again, if you were tested on a "practical" for your basic, it was NOT a NREMT practical. NREMT does NOT have or require Basic EMT practicals. States, can adopt their standards as well as the state may require it on the States practical, and yes the NREMT wants some form of a practical (it can be sponsored by the school).

Please review NREMT practical and testing procedures:

www.nremt.org

R/r 911

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
We were tested for Combitube for NREMT-Intermediate and were given the option to do the intubation test. Since the state I train in has Intermediate to intbuation they felt it would be approproiate for us to take that test.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Oops... :blush: sorry.. Welcome !

R/r 91