Code 3 driver tips and suggestions

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
never have, I just watch a lot of cops and rescue 911

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
So if you're the only car on the road at, say, 2 am, you always had your siren running?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
So if you're the only car on the road at, say, 2 am, you always had your siren running?

Only time I dont use sirens is when there's no cars around.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant

yes, even if I am the only car on the road. I don't know who is going to try and cross or if a car is going to turn out in front of me. Especially at 2 am when the bars are closing.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh snapple.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
I see you changed your answer. Which one of these is your serious answer. Never or constantly?

To tell you the truth... I find your argument pointless so I changed it hoping you would leave it alone. I will be in chat. we can talk there, other wise, drop it. Im not going to hijack this thread over some pointless arguing.

JPINFV

Gadfly
No worries... I feel the same about trying to discuss operational aspects with protocol zombies.

imurphy

Forum Captain
They're cliche, but some things to remember are:

It is NOT your emergency. If the patient dies en route, the extra time really means nothing. I know, I know, time is heart muscle etc, but not worth getting into an accident. Remember, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

You ambulance is built by the lowest bidder. The brakes are the cheapest possible to qualify as brakes.

DO come to a COMPLETE stop at ALL intersections, green or red. I have been buzzed I dont know how many times by a guy either having a green light or running a red.

People will NOT get out of your way all the time. In fact, less that 50% of the time. For info on why a siren isn't heard: http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/columns/molnar/lights_vs_sirens.html

Be prepared. A minority of people will pull to the right and stop. Some will stop dead when they finally hear the siren. Some will pull to the left, some will pull to the right and stop initially, then drive forward WHILE you are taking the right turn, hit you, and you've bought a night of paperwork my friend!

Shoulders / Breakdown lanes with lights and sirens are a total no-no. Like I said some people will pull to the right, without really looking, and there you are stuck between another car on your left, a ditch to your right and a car in front of you. Bad news all round, literally.

Driving on the other side of the road is not only no fun, but it can buy you some points on your licence, and probably a suspension from your supervisor. By this I mean blatantly being on the wrong side of the road, not just 1/4 of your unit over the line to safely pass a car that has pulled over.

In the State of MA, you MAY travel 10mph above the posted limit in an emergency. Anything more than that is excessive in the eyes of the law. and it's your license!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Driving on the other side of the road is not only no fun, but it can buy you some points on your licence, and probably a suspension from your supervisor. By this I mean blatantly being on the wrong side of the road, not just 1/4 of your unit over the line to safely pass a car that has pulled over.

I'd rather be on the wrong side than push traffic into an intersection against a red. Also, why would it get you points on your license?

Last edited by a moderator:

imurphy

Forum Captain
You have me on that JP, but I mean for excessive distance. Anything more than like 15m is pushing it!