Clinicals

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello!

I'm an EMT-B student about to start clinicals. I'm pretty confident because I've already taken an almost equivalent course, but I'm a bit anxious about clinicals. I'm really excited but I'm doing half of them at a busy level 1 trauma center.

Any tips, words of caution or tales are greatly appreciated. :)

Another point... I'm concerned that I won't be taken seriously by patients or staff because of my age. My first shift is less than a week after my 18th birthday. I'm mature and I don't look too terribly young, but I'm definitely noticeably younger than the vast majority of EMT students.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

piranah

Forum Captain
I'm a basic and a paramedic student and im only 18....just show your maturity and your knowledge and respect and the rest will follow......they realize you have to start somewhere...dont worry about it...

lcbjr3000

Forum Probie
The best way to learn is to ask alot of question. The ones your working with were in your shoes at one point too. If they tell you to do something you can do then do it. If you cant do it tell them and they will show you how. Dont try and do something you have no business doing. Other than that enjoy it and have one. Your on your way to a very hard and rewarding career

james

Forum Crew Member
I did my clinicals in a US Army Hospital in Germany, I learned a lot from the doc's thier. I asked so many questions that they almost got fed up with me but at the end They ofered me a job. But I could not take the job. Always remember to stay within your skill level.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Show a willingness to pitch in and help with the boring stuff too. If you show a willingness to help make beds or run errands, the person you helped out will be more likely to call you in on the juicy stuff.

Remember ER work is a team effort, if you just want to be a spectator, they will leave you in the stands watching from a distance.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Very good advice Bossey Cow, Part of being in an ER is to see what happens to the patient after the ambulance has brought the patient in. It is always good to always ask if there is something to help with. An extra set of hands to help is always a welcome sight! Learn and keep on learning! :)

NJN

The Young One
Just act professional and be confident. I'm 16 and can look anywheres between 15-18 (many factors involved naturally), but i know what i'm doing and when to do it and i act professional no one really cares about my age. You took the same class as the others did and so you should and probably will be treated equally. Also ask questions but not too too tooo many. You should be fine.

- NJ Newbie

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
I too did my clinicals in a VERY busy Level I Trauma Center and was somewhat nervous going in. On our way in the door one of the crews bringing a pt in grabbed us and told us that they'd be in and out all night if we had any questions or problems. This was VERY comforting, but beyond that they told us to have gloves on and be ready when a PT was coming in. This demonstrated to the ED staff that we were serious about our time there and were ready to learn.

This was probably some of the best advice he gave us that night as the attending we were working with later told us that he knew we were serious students when he looked up to see us behind him with BSI on and ready to go. It paid off as he then pushed us in to assist his residents with numerous patients that night. My clinical time was one of the most incredible learning experiences I've had and it taught me a great deal about myself as well as EMS. I hope that you can take as much as I did from my time in the ED, and as it has already been stated, be sure to ask as many questions as you can possibly think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey thank you all for the excellent advice. I'll definitely be gloved and ready to go for any patients, offer my help, ask good questions and help out with the boring stuff.

I have one shift that should be really interesting... 7:30 pm - 3:30 am Friday night over spring break at a busy level one. I'm pumped and I definitely feel a little bit more relaxed after all the good advice.

lcbjr3000

Forum Probie
Keeps us updated on how things go and if you think of questions after the fact feel free to ask them here. Good Luck and enjoy the experience

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
are you doing ER clinicals or Ambulance Clinicals?

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Both. I haven't signed up for ambulance rides yet though. Thanks for bringing it up though. Any clinical tips specific to riding on the ambulance?

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Both. I haven't signed up for ambulance rides yet though. Thanks for bringing it up though. Any clinical tips specific to riding on the ambulance?

As a student be enthusatic and know your stuff. When you get to the station make an effort to help out with chores, washing unit, checking unit off, and reviewing where everything is located and if you do not know how something works ask. I love it when students ask me questions and allow me to be an instructor and a mentor. Do not just walk in and sit down or sit in front of the tv all day. Find out what the crew expects of you on a call and try to help them all you can. Be aggressive. I hate having to tell a student "why don't you get some V/S" or "why don't you go help john doe with the cot". EMS is a small world so do your absolute best to make a solid impression. Just remember the way you approach clinicals can come back to haunt you when you look for a job.

PS- paying for lunch makes a nice bribe:p. LOL. just joking with you.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
For ambulance shifts, just hope your lucky on getting calls. My first couple clinicals with an ambulance i would only get like one call at the very end of my shift. Actually the captian was trying to get me to stay long so they could get some sleep cause while i was there they werent getting calls (this was at the busiest fire station in the city go figure) And i wouldnt be too concernd about your age, most places you do clinicals at will have something like a jacket to make you look like one of them, and the pt will usually be freaked out enough not to care who is helping them, as long as they are getting help. If they throw a hissy fit about you being young, then they really dont need the help all that bad.

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
Just finished mine this past weekend. I had to do a ten hour shift and see a minimum of five patients. We had seven come in to the ER and I was responsible for the vitals, then the nurse would come in, and then the doc. I had an absolute blast with my experience. I had a wide range of patients with a wide range of care needs. I would just reiterate what others have said on this forum on this issue-dive on in! Get those vitals, document, and go ahead and make yourself useful cleaning up and prepping the rooms for the next patient. They really do appreciate that and the staff will think a heck of a lot better of you. Plus, as a tech, that's what you'll be doing anyway!

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
I did the Ambulance clinicals and they were fun and I learned so much. I did get to help out, gathering patient information, gathering Patient medications, carrying Medic gear (really heavy). I had alot of fun and met alot of nice people, probably people that I will someday work with. But yea sometimes, depending on who you are riding with the crew will let you help out, sometimes you just watch. Good thing for me though 9 out of my 10 shifts I got to do vitals and help out a little.

I never did the ER clinicals, now I think I want to just because of what crash cart said. :p

Emtamaldonado

Forum Ride Along
Lucidresq

Have you started your clinicals yet? I start mine in April. I am also very excited. Just wondering how yours are going.

P.S. This is actually my first post.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I have been fortunate to have preceptored two students. I have two very important rules; 1. Don't be late. If something happens, sick, car broke etc. CALL me. 2. Never lie to me. If you can't hear a b/p in the back of the truck TELL me, don't make up numbers. Credibility means a lot in this business. Your reputation will follow you for years.

3. Have fun. Enjoy your time.