Class of 30 only 2 pass NREMT

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
While not making it more than what it is, it is more than "advanced first aid" as your so fond of saying. I am sure the core material is much different than when you took the course. It is not a simple "dummy" class.

My course wasn't a simple course. Believe it or not we actually learned how the body works, the different systems, and even some pharmacology. I do more on a daily basis than provide a horizontal taxi to the ER.

The nurses and doctors expect me to be competent and knowledgeable. They expect that I provide them with accurate information as to the patients condition.

Our education may not be as indepth as the paramedic or RN programs, but we are far from simply trained. Don't dumb down my certification. You may have worked in my area before but it has changed.

Education is what you make of it. A good basic program will make for good medics, RN's or wherever the basic decides to go. I would gladly put the skills of some of our basics against some of the Medics on here any day.

You might want to take a look at the NHTSA national curriculum and what years it was published for the various levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
While not making it more than what it is, it is more than "advanced first aid" as your so fond of saying. I am sure the core material is much different than when you took the course. It is not a simple "dummy" class.

My course wasn't a simple course. Believe it or not we actually learned how the body works, the different systems, and even some pharmacology. I do more on a daily basis than provide a horizontal taxi to the ER.

The nurses and doctors expect me to be competent and knowledgeable. They expect that I provide them with accurate information as to the patients condition.

Our education may not be as indepth as the paramedic or RN programs, but we are far from simply trained. Don't dumb down my certification. You may have worked in my area before but it has changed.

Education is what you make of it. A good basic program will make for good medics, RN's or wherever the basic decides to go. I would gladly put the skills of some of our basics against some of the Medics on here any day.

Slow your roll there Turbo. I wasn't referring to YOUR specific course. I was speaking of the EMT course in general. It doesn't matter if its 6 months or two weeks, the course objectives have to be met and the students have to perform to a certain standard. The individual's learning style and the skill of the instructor cadre are two factors that play into the success or failure of the student.

And besides, we all know that King County EMTs are trained at a MUCH higher level than anywhere else in the country.

/sarcasm

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Out of the class of 30 only two were able to pass the national registry. Do you think this is because of the short period of time the class runs ? Is it normal for only 2 people to pass out of a group of 30 ?
you know, considering the class is supposedly super easy, and only taught to an 8th grade level, if 28 people failed, I can only assume that the people from SoCal are only able to function below a 8th grade level.

damn west coasters bringing down the education level of EMS

/sarcasm over, as is the ignorant comment about the education of west coasters.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
*sigh*
I took the class in 2001. I helped instruct a class last year. Not a lot of difference.

My course wasn't a simple course. Believe it or not we actually learned how the body works, the different systems,
The two aforementioned ones covered about what a high-school bio class covers. I learned some of the stuff in elementary school.

and even some pharmacology.
Like "albuterol dilates the bronchiles" and other tidbits you can learn from doctor's office brochures?

I do more on a daily basis than provide a horizontal taxi to the ER.
I love paramedicine, I really do. But there's a good portion of it that's simply that horizontal taxi ride. So what are you doing besides vitals on the majority of calls that makes it more than that at the BLS level.

Alternately they smile and nod and then go about fixing the patient.

You aren't trusted to use a NPA for cripes sake! How changed can it be?

A good medic, RN, or med school will make a good medic, RN or physician. If they can't turn out a a decent provider without an EMT background the school needs to reevaluate itself.

ardsranger

Forum Probie
I am taking an EMT academy this summer , it is a nine week program and goes on monday through friday 8:30 am til 3 pm. Last summer was when the program had their first class. The class plans a day to go as a group to take the NREMT , which im guessing is to help keep everyone alittle more comfortable. Out of the class of 30 only two were able to pass the national registry. Do you think this is because of the short period of time the class runs ? Is it normal for only 2 people to pass out of a group of 30 ?

That does not sound right to me.
I would guess instructor failure if that's true.

EMSforever

Forum Probie
For advanced our class is at 50% right now for AEMT. Im pretty sure its in line with national standards which is pretty dang sad that theyve made it this hard. We had 100% on EMT though. We have some great instructors as well.