Checking up after the fact

plumdragon

Forum Probie
I am in EMT-B school right now, and had my first clinical run last night. Very bad GSW to the chest, serious trauma for little bitty county ambulance service. ALS unit, tho, and they medflighted him to the nearest trauma center.

I want to check up and see how the guy is doing, if he made it, basically. What's the best protocol for doing so? I know he won't remember me if I turn up at ICU or whatever, but is it ok to call the hospital and say "I was an EMT last night for this guy, can you tell me if he is going to be ok?"

I'm not worried about being pushy or what to ask, just don't want to cross any confidentiality lines and set myself (and the other EMTs or my instructor) up as an idiot for not knowing any better. Help?

To top it all off, had a priority 0 about 30 minutes later who choked on his steak dinner. My first serious trauma and first CPR and first death, all in the same night. The on-call medics called me a "s**t magnet".

medic417

The Truth Provider
If you want to follow up be best to check with the crew you rode out with. Hospital will probably not tell you anything since they do not know you.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
They can't give you any information involving the patient's well being or condition, as it's a violation of HIPPA laws. But typically, if you're on duty the next night and so is one of the receiving nurses, you guys can talk a little more about the patient. You're really not supposed to, but it's one of those things.

I've even gone back to check on a patient later in my shift, to see how they are doing. Just show up at their room after my paperwork is done for another patient.

But just checking up by calling the hospital... No, they won't do that, and you could probably get scolded for even asking.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
you might be able to ask the hospital you transported to as an exception for HIPAA includes continuous education for those involved in the case, but if he was flighted out, then the final receiving center has no idea who you are and might not be willing to release that info. Some hospitals will only tell you if you show up in person. Others refuse to tell you at all and your CQI officer will have to get that information for you.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
They can't give you any information involving the patient's well being or condition, as it's a violation of HIPPA laws. But typically, if you're on duty the next night and so is one of the receiving nurses, you guys can talk a little more about the patient. You're really not supposed to, but it's one of those things.

I've even gone back to check on a patient later in my shift, to see how they are doing. Just show up at their room after my paperwork is done for another patient.

But just checking up by calling the hospital... No, they won't do that, and you could probably get scolded for even asking.

HIPAA.

You are stating HIPAA but are encouraging nurses or other medical professionals to talk anyway?

If you do go through the nursing station where the patient is located, whatever information they can not provide, they may refer you to a family member who can give you the details. We also will do followups on some of the patients we fly to trauma centers through a process that does not violate patient privacy laws by using an appointed liason.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
plumdragon

plumdragon

Forum Probie
No, they won't do that, and you could probably get scolded for even asking.

That's pretty much what I'm trying to avoid by asking you friendly folks first. I had a feeling this was the case.

I will try to get in touch with the medic from last night at some point in the future. I don't have another shift there, so it's going to be chancy. However the trauma center is about a block away from where I live, so I may try to drive up there in a few days and find out. I doubt he's going anywhere for a little while, at least!

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I've never had a problem with checking up with nurses about patients I dropped off. Some nurses like it when you check in to see how a person did. You just have to know how to ask and who to ask. Some services like Boston Medflight has a person that goes around to get outcomes and service feedback from patients/family/staff.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Why would you care how the patient is doing? It's not your job to care... you got them to the hospital alive, your involvement with them is done.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
HIPAA.

You are stating HIPAA but are encouraging nurses or other medical professionals to talk anyway?

If you do go through the nursing station where the patient is located, whatever information they can not provide, they may refer you to a family member who can give you the details. We also will do followups on some of the patients we fly to trauma centers through a process that does not violate patient privacy laws by using an appointed liason.

Whoops, too many "P's."

I'm not encouraging them to talk, but people do from time to time. Nothing personal to them, just more like "Hey, whatever happened to that code last night? He make it?"

"Far as I know, yeah, he went up to the ICU yesterday morning."

Nothing revealed, just two professionals chatting about a former patient.

It also helps if they know you. If you are fairly new, they're going to look at you like you're cross eyed. If you're a long time vet, they'll treat you like you're another one of the nurses.

OP
OP
plumdragon

plumdragon

Forum Probie
Papabear, I happen to work (day job) for the charge nurse on the cardiology floor at that hospital, so at the very least I've got a road into the ICU should all other attempts fail.

As to the other poster on "why do you care..."? You know, firstly, I don't *ever* want to turn out with that mindset. I'm sorry for your apparent lack of empathy. Secondly, you sound too much like my ex-husband. If you've got nothing useful to add here, kindly go away. Newbie to this board or not, I've got way too many years online under my belt to give a stuff about trolls. -_-

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
As to the other poster on "why do you care..."? You know, firstly, I don't *ever* want to turn out with that mindset. I'm sorry for your apparent lack of empathy. Secondly, you sound too much like my ex-husband. If you've got nothing useful to add here, kindly go away. Newbie to this board or not, I've got way too many years online under my belt to give a stuff about trolls. -_-

Trolls... HA! I'm a regular with 441 posts. What I'm adding is useful. Checking up on a patient denotes emotional involvement. Emotional involvement in this field will destroy a person. Professional detachment, lack of empathy, call it whatever you want. My ability to leave work at work is nothing to be sorry for.

So do me a favor and keep your self-righteousness to yourself.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Trolls... HA! I'm a regular with 441 posts. What I'm adding is useful. Checking up on a patient denotes emotional involvement. Emotional involvement in this field will destroy a person. Professional detachment, lack of empathy, call it whatever you want. My ability to leave work at work is nothing to be sorry for.

So do me a favor and keep your self-righteousness to yourself.

Actually it can be educational to follow up on patients. It can help you see areas that you are doing good and areas that you need to improve in. Now I don't see any use to actually go visit the patient as then I feel providers are trying to have patients look at them like a hero and if you are in this to be a hero it's time to leave my profession.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Don't be discouraged, it's a good thing to care about your patients (Not to take them home with you or anything.) it can also be educational to do so. most realize that.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why would you care how the patient is doing? It's not your job to care... you got them to the hospital alive, your involvement with them is done.

I presume this is tongue in cheek humor...

R/r 911

OP
OP
plumdragon

plumdragon

Forum Probie
Not here to be a hero.

This was my first trauma, and a touchy one at that. The guy had 3 young kids and his wife there when it happened. I care about the situation, and would like to know if the thoraseal actually managed to keep him alive.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Not here to be a hero.

This was my first trauma, and a touchy one at that. The guy had 3 young kids and his wife there when it happened. I care about the situation, and would like to know if the thoraseal actually managed to keep him alive.

Ask how he's doing then, if you want. I thought you were talking about visiting him to ask how he was doing.

OP
OP
plumdragon

plumdragon

Forum Probie
I don't plan on visiting the patient. I'm sure that he wouldn't remember me among the bunch of other people working on him. If anything, I already know they won't tell me something on the phone, but thought perhaps the ICU or medflight staff may be able to tell me a basic outcome.

I also don't want to freak anyone out by letting him or his family know that a first time trauma student was working on a situation like that. Some people might not be so accepting of inexperienced aid.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
With visiting the patient? I don't see what the point is.

You don't what the point is? You don't understand the need to follow up as in empathy? To have the care and concern of your patient? I try follow up and even talk to family members as much as possible. It's part of my professional duties. I have even instituted "Get Well" cards for patients and "Sympathy" cards for family members. Most true EMS will have some form of follow up. This is part of what differentiate us between being ambulance drivers and being a Paramedic.

This is a caring profession, can't do that then one needs to either never enter or get the hell out!

R/r 911