Certificate vs Associates vs Bachelors

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
UNFORTUNATELY, I do realize that. That doesnt change the fact that it probably shouldnt be run like that...

I can't help but notice that you're one of the folks with the overspecialized bachelors degree so for two very good reasons I'm going to end this debate. The other reason being that I'm not about to argue politics with you because I'll never convince you that your eyebrows are somewhere around the level of your internal sphincter and you'll never convince me that fire based EMS is a better or more morally valid model.

My point still stands that if you want to run a business, you should get a business degree and if you want to run a public based operation, a degree in public administration is a far better choice than an unrelated topic like public health. My guess is that you simply see "masters" and "health" and don't think any further past it so you have no idea what the actual applicability and goals of the program actually happen to be. Granted, with that hippy dippy "Medicine shouldn't be run like that!" attitude, you would fit right in with most of the liberal hippies I'll be spending time around in a couple of years but still....

On a related note, you might enjoy: http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=18324

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
This ^

If you look at most, if not all of the job postings within EMS for administration positions, they typically ask for a four year healthcare degree or related field, not for an EMS degree specifically. With that four year EMS degree, you won't see much if any additional financial compensation than you would with just a cert. Having the four year healthcare degree doesn't guarantee you a future supervisor position, either. Those positions are few and far between in EMS, and more often than not are subject to cronyism and nepotism. They'll interview a few people, but they've already chosen who they want. You know how that goes.

True, most EMS job postings that want a degree are happy with any degree, but that is not to say that you might not have a better shot at them with a more relevant degree. I think that my BS in Paramedicine helped to at least make my resume stand out a bit more to help me get positions in research and EMS education.

It is also a fair point though that if someone with a degree in Paramedicine/EMS/something healthcare or EMS specific then decides they want out completely and want to go and work in a lab... well, that will likely be harder than if you had a bachelor of science degree in biology or some other more "traditional" science.

When it comes down to it, a degree is a degree and the more education the better. If you like EMS and there are bachelor level EMS programs available to you, go for it. If you like EMS but also maybe have a passion for biology or anything else, go for that (sometimes it can be nice to get away from EMS for a bit anyway).

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Mebbe not adding to the discussion here, but UT San Antonio offers a BS in Paramedicine.

Perhaps it may be somewhat limiting for fields outside of EMS, but nonetheless I think it's still a good thing.

Also, I've heard that in order to be an EMS Educator soon one will have to have a BS Degree, a change I thoroughly agree with, btw! This degree from UT San Antonio appears as if it will definitely prepare one to teach.

Trevor

Forum Crew Member
I can't help but notice that you're one of the folks with the overspecialized bachelors degree so for two very good reasons I'm going to end this debate. The other reason being that I'm not about to argue politics with you because I'll never convince you that your eyebrows are somewhere around the level of your internal sphincter and you'll never convince me that fire based EMS is a better or more morally valid model.

My point still stands that if you want to run a business, you should get a business degree and if you want to run a public based operation, a degree in public administration is a far better choice than an unrelated topic like public health. My guess is that you simply see "masters" and "health" and don't think any further past it so you have no idea what the actual applicability and goals of the program actually happen to be. Granted, with that hippy dippy "Medicine shouldn't be run like that!" attitude, you would fit right in with most of the liberal hippies I'll be spending time around in a couple of years but still....

On a related note, you might enjoy: http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=18324

1) First and foremost I DO NOT think that Fire Based EMS Systems is "better" and definetely dont think its "more morally valid"! Its apples and oranges. Just because we both have trucks with lights on them, doesnt mean that the fire department are the people to do emergency medicine. And gnereally speaking, i think the majority of them do a half-*** job of it when they do... If i thought that they were better at medicine, i would probably work for a Fire Department. I dont, and thats why I work for a Third Service...
2) Just because someone doesnt agree with you, doesnt mean their "eyebrows are anywhere close to their sphincter!
3) My degree isnt "overspecialized". Quite the opposite in fact. My BS is in Emergency Health Sciences, and covered everything from Management and Leadership topics, to Pathophys, to Flight Medicine and advanced assessment...
4) I'm not trying to argue with you. Merely thought the point of Forum based sites was to get as much information and input from various people about a topic as possible...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Where to begin?

Ok...

Regardless if you think EMS should be a profession or not, and it most certainly currently is not in the US, you need to first understand the forces in play.

There is considerable money going around for EMS transport. Outside of a few well meaning rebels like me, a majority in EMS support the current system.

NAEMT is a waste of the paper its charter is written on. Have you ever read some of their position statements? They stand for nothing, except making money off of absolutely stupid ideas like "advanced medical life support in 2 days."

Many members are firefighters, even chapter officers are, and if you think for a second they are going to promote the expanding role of EMS over the IAFF tagline, then your degree isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Medicine is all about money. You know why? Because without it we can't afford all of that cool equipment and highly educated staff. Even in the best medical systems, the bean counters are just as important as everyone else. No venture, government or private succeeds without the money side of things.

The reason that most EMS leaders don't have degrees or get bogus ones from going to places like the national fire academy, is twofold. One most of those laborers don't see the value in education. Secondly, not having one themselves they are terrified to death of those competing for promotion that do. (You realize that most people who enter the fire and a majority of EMS services are not academically inclined?)

I agree that EMS would be much better served as a part of public health. But it isn't going to happen until the US healthcare system completely collapses at least.

I do not think a public health degree is useful to current EMS providers or managers. As was said, it deals with a scope far grander than the mantra of US EMS which is "transport." Easily not for the next 20 years.

People like me and USAF have been at this game a long time. It is going to take baby steps. The first of those steps is to point the simpler minds towards degrees that have obvious impact on day to day operations, not abstractly in a system that is not reality. Otherwise you will never convince anyone in the field of the benefits of education past trade school.

It seems like you have identified oversimplified problems in EMS. It seems like you have a lot of zeal towards improving it. But your arguments have been tried. I've even tried them myself. But it is not zeal that is going to win the day, nor beating failed strategies like a dead horse.

If you really want to get into the game, you need to forget about course listings, because your "pathology" and "advanced assessment" are laughable to me, and are just empty words to many EMS providers.

You need to demonstrate in a very real way the everyday benefits of education. You need to inspire other providers to want to be better. You need to coach, and mentor. You need to show people how to make all that "book learnin" real. Teach them how to apply it.

You cannot change today's leaders. All you can do is inspire tomorrow's that your way has merit.

The leaders of Fire and EMS today are looked upon by the new people as the Heroes who lived the dream. They are the priests of the true faith. The newbies seek to please and emulate them in every possible way. Not to mention these leaders are masters at the politcal and business side of things. You cannot argue to change hearts and minds. You can only win them.

You have opposing views, fine, cool, but if you want to change things, you are going to need the help of the people who have been fighting the good fight. People who understand the intricacies. People exactly like USAF.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If you really want to get into the game, you need to forget about course listings, because your "pathology" and "advanced assessment" are laughable to me, and are just empty words to many EMS providers.

*Brown puts down Porth and Brown's other trauma, emergency medicine and anaesthesia books, runs to the corner and cries into Brown's Cat in the Hat hat