CCEMTP Program

18G

Paramedic
I am looking into starting the CCEMTP program in August and wanted to gain some insight into the program from those who have already went through it.

I do a combination of 911 and ALS IFT now and will probably be doing IFT full-time in the near future. This program sounds like a worthwhile investment of my time.

Just a few questions....
How in-depth does the program go?

Is it a solid program that allows you to walk away satisfied and feeling like you learned something new?

What is the exam like?

Thanks.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Which program?

There are many so called ones out there.

reaper

Working Bum
I think the UMBC course is now garbage. They have dropped the standards and requirements for taking it.

Now, the Iowa CCP is an excellent program.

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
What were the requirements? As of now it is recommended to have 1yr experience as a Paramedic or Nurse.

It's a foundational course program for providers to do IFT, correct?

The title is Critical Care Emergency Medical Transport Program, not like most think which is Critical Care Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic.

And what factors influence you to perceive it as garbage? This is what I want to know before I invest time and money into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Used to require 5 years, then dropped to 3 years. Now they are down to one year. They have followed every other alphabet course and watered it way down. It is up to you, for what you are looking to get out of it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It's highly dependent on what program you go through as to it's quality. Choose on with a clinical component. Also understand your not really going to be qualified to do most of the stuff you learn about right out of class. I went through the class three years ago, have some CCT experience, and yet there's no way in hell I'd transport a balloon pump or bolt by myself right now.

mikie

Forum Lurker
I haven't experienced it, but know the instructors and facilities you will be using. They're well versed in experience and knowledge, have the latest clinical equipment for 'lab' settings as well as a new simulation lab. I don't know the specifics of their cirriculum but they are accredited and renowned for it.

My personal thoughts on their 'loosening' of the amount of years experience would probably be financial reasons (allow a wider pool of students so they can offer more classes). They don't have unlimited $$$...it's a state funded university after-all!

______
these comments are not endorsed nor represented by any agency.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
CCEMTP is a decent course from what I have heard. However, the course only serves as an introduction to true critical care transport. I would only take the course to help me prepare for the CCP-C exam which, as opposed to CCEMTP which is just a completion certificate, is an actual certification.

mc400

Forum Crew Member
Hear that it is a good course, like all you get out of it what you want. I will be taking it soon while finishing my prereq's for my medic to rn bridge. Just more info which wil help in my career ff/pm, and my side career/retirement job nursing.

Medic785

Forum Probie
A friend of mine completed the two week CCEMTP at UMBC. I enrolled in the same course at one of their "licensed sites" (a four month duration) in Pennsylvania. The quality of instructors, the ability to integrate clinical observation and the overall educational quality between the two delivery methods seemed quite diverse, with the 2 week UMBC program winning out.

Overall, I was not satisfied with my CCEMTP educational experience. You are more than welcome to PM me if you have any questions.