Care Vs. Medix California

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on which company I should work for. I know Medix only has one contract and that is with Mission Viejo. Care covers most of north Orange County and is more of a larger company. I like Care because it's more of a prestigious company to work for, and will look good on my resume when trying to get into paramedic school. The downside to it, from what I hear is for the first six months you only work 12 hr shifts and it consists of only IFT's. The good side to Medix is you start off doing 24's and you only do 911. The downside to this company is they only have one contract and only pay you for 16 hrs. This information could be incorrect so inform if it is.

Thanks
EMT-B

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
I've never worked for either company but I have several friends who have worked at CARE or Medix. That is untrue about Medix running only 9-1-1. They do have IFT's and you will be running them. Yes, it is true that CARE has you do IFT's for the first six months, but that is for your primary shift and you are able to pick up 9-1-1 shifts before then for overtime. Pick the company that works best for you and everything will work out.

As for getting into medic school it's all the luck of the draw and how your interview goes. You can go to Mt. SAC right now and get in if you're willing to work hard and devote your life to the cause for 6 months. There are also other schools that are not as competitive such as NCTI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Go to care if you can. Medix is on the down slope, care is still care.

As said before, which company you work for will have little to absolutely no effect on your entrance to a paramedic program

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Keep in mind that even on an IFT car for Care you will get pulled into the 911 system as needed. When I worked an IFT 24, we were the also the 2nd in ambulance for the city we were stationed in(Fountain Valley). Care was a very solid company when I worked there(2006-2008), I love where I work now, but for LA and OC, Care is definitely the top choice IMHO. When I was there, it was minimum 2000 hours on IFT, there was an IFT seniority list, and when you went over 2000 hours, at the next shift bid you could bid to an open 911 car, which you then "owned", meaning you were on it until you wanted a new shift or left. There are more and less desirable 911 shifts, most people wanted(in OC) Anaheim or Fullerton, which are dispatched by the 911 system as units for the city(ANA ambulance 4 or FUL ambulance 2) not controlled by Care dispatch. The OCFA units are still dedicated but dispatched by Care, as are all LACo units. Not sure how Costa Mesa or any of the new contracts work, as it has been several years, but you usually had to start on a very busy 911 unit and then you could slide to a slower station as spots opened up.

And yes, where you work as an EMT has very little bearing on your admission to medic school, a few programs withstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the input guys. Each place has their pros/cons, and I will only be at one for a year to get hours for paramedic school.