CARE Physical Test in Orange County, CA

LAemt0993

Forum Probie
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the physical test for CARE Ambulance. I have an interview next week that I've been preparing for. I've been researching on this forum and I know there is some sort of back test if you get an offer but I was wondering if anyone could give me any more specifics. I'm a female, 5'1", and about 120 lbs. I've been working out and weightlifting for over year but I'm still super nervous about the physical exams.

I had a physical exam for another ambulance company the other week but I wasn't able to get the job because I wasn't able to lift 150 lb to waist height. I was able to lift it no problem to hip height with straight arms, but afterwards the tester told me to bend my arms 90 degrees to get the 150 lb to waist height! This kind of sucks because I've been focusing so much on leg strength and I wish I had known about this so I also could have been working on arm strength as well. Do you guys know if other companies are like this? Thanks in advance.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Many companies are like this. Can't really remember what exactly was on the physical but you should be fine. Use your legs and don't ever lift with your back. It will become sore and make it tougher throughout the test.

OP
OP
L

LAemt0993

Forum Probie
Many companies are like this. Can't really remember what exactly was on the physical but you should be fine. Use your legs and don't ever lift with your back. It will become sore and make it tougher throughout the test.
Thanks. Have you worked with CARE?

OP
OP
L

LAemt0993

Forum Probie
Ah okay, well I got a conditional job offer! Now I just need to go in for my physical, tb, drug screening, and back test. I'm actually more nervous for the back test than for the interview... It kind of worries me because I'm not too sure what to expect since it's a completely new strength contraption I've never used before.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Here's the thing with the back test. The test starts out with a lot of resistance then lightens up as the test continues. The trick is to keep applying the same amount of force throughout the entire test. Don't let up, just because the machine lets up.

mtran

Forum Ride Along
Mufasa is right, the resistance changes but you have to keep pushing hard as you can. When the resistance is high you'll push really hard, when the resistance is low you'll be pushing fast. On the light resistance if you don't push fast enough you won't feel resistance, that's bad. They'll explain this all to you before you do the test, as I recall the amount of strength needed to pass is based on your body weight.

There is also a strength test, I forget how much weight but there is one that's around 140lbs lifted to your waist and held for a certain amount of time, 5 seconds maybe. You don't have to bend your arms 90° but just get it to your waist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LAemt0993

Forum Probie
Just some additional information. Right now I am able to deadlift/squat at least 165 lbs, so my main concern with the lift test is the arm strength required to bring it to waist level. Would I be able to start the lift test out with my arms already slightly bent to help me bring it to waist level?

mtran

Forum Ride Along
I think you'll be able to start with bent arms. They are pretty lax about it. They basically told me to lift it however I want to.

Good luck!

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
If you're deadlifting 165lbs, you should be fine.

OP
OP
L

LAemt0993

Forum Probie
I have not but have multiple friends who are still there and one that just got hired and started orientation this last Monday. Still trying to get into AMR riverside lol
When your friend who recently got hired with CARE went in for his back test at the chiropractor's, did he have to do a lift test as well? When I got the email with details on what to do next, they only specified that I had to do a back test, and nothing about a lift test, unless that's included in the back test.

wtferick

Forum Captain
When your friend who recently got hired with CARE went in for his back test at the chiropractor's, did he have to do a lift test as well? When I got the email with details on what to do next, they only specified that I had to do a back test, and nothing about a lift test, unless that's included in the back test.
Yes when you go in, you start on a chair exercise machine for about 30-40mins then the lifting begins then you will go to the back testing portion. That is why it is important to not strain your back while lifting. Other than that good luck :) should be fine.