Cardiac Rythms for dummies *me* lol

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Ok so are there any books out there that may put learning cardiac rythms into a easier perspective then my medic book? I've watched some videos on youtube by ecgdoc and its helpful but still not understanding it completely.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Dale Dubin: Rapid Interpretation of EKGs.

Cannot make it any simpler than he does. Half of each page is a color picture.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
You might also want to try EKG Interpretation by Karen Ellis. Starts with the very basics, and then progresses on from there....

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Thanks linuss I will see if barns and noble has it on tues. I understand some but not getting some of it also and its aggravating

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Dale Dubin: Rapid Interpretation of EKGs.

Agreed. I used Dubin's book and ECGs Made Easy by Barbara Aehlert.

Aehlert's book was assigned by class, it's pretty dumbed down but a good starter book, lots of practice rhythms.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
@EMT Travis, if you like me whats confusing me is all the "rules" of interpretation. I can name all the rhythms but have trouble remembering if its a wide QRS what rhythm's could it be if it does not have a P Wave and narrow QRS. etc. Am I correct? Except my school they put medical emergencies and cardiology in one semester I was not happy with that. I would have liked cardiology to be one semester instead of 2-3 months

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I would have liked cardiology to be one semester instead of 2-3 months

Dude I wish we got that long. We did cardiology in 5 weeks! 5 weeks x 24 hours per week but it was still a chore. Still my favorite subject in school by far.

Understanding the physiology behind the heart makes a night and day difference of being able to interpret rhythms correctly. Knowing where the impulse is originating from and what the different waves on the ECG tracing represent made it much easier for me.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
thats alot of reading. I don't mind, but I have to read the textbook, read our basic arrythmias workbook and practice the strip in there, and yes I am reading Dubin's book as well. I talked to my instructor and he said he was really debating if he wanted to use dubins book I told him I wish he would have lol.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
From P student to P student the only thing I can tell you is practice. I had rhythms coming out of my ears during cardiology. Like I said, knowing the A&P of the heart plus the "WNL" parameters for rhythms makes this a whole lot easier.