cardiac arrest...

emt_mel

Forum Ride Along
Hey so I am an EMT who is pretty new to EMS and I was wondering, hypothetically of course, can someone in v-fib who is being defibrillated, make a noise sounding close to a moan, as they are being defibrillated?

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Yes.

The electrical stimulation will make most of the muscles in the body contract, in which many times will make air move in/out of the lungs past the cords just enough to make noise. Kinda neat to watch and hear it happen.
I have actually had one pt.... when defibrillated... his arms came straight up and hit me ( paddle days ), then they slowly went back to his side ( as the muscles relaxed ).
<sigh> Things like this will be the calls you will always remember, cherish them so one day you can look back and let it bring a smile to your face.

:-/

Amack

Forum Crew Member
Yes.

The electrical stimulation will make most of the muscles in the body contract, in which many times will make air move in/out of the lungs past the cords just enough to make noise. Kinda neat to watch and hear it happen.
I have actually had one pt.... when defibrillated... his arms came straight up and hit me ( paddle days ), then they slowly went back to his side ( as the muscles relaxed ).
<sigh> Things like this will be the calls you will always remember, cherish them so one day you can look back and let it bring a smile to your face.

:-/

:ph34r:

dude that must've been crazy!

maxwell

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, especially if they JUST went into vf. Had that happen once. you never forget that :censored::censored::censored::censored:...