Can I work n nc with a sc state #

Nate p

Forum Ride Along
Hi y'all I'm from sc and I am moving to nc and I was wondering if I could use my sc state number for nc retro prosody? Sc is a NREMT state and I have tooken my basic class and passed all but my NREMT written, like i said sc will not allow u to work on ur state # but I have been told that nc would and that all I needed was either be affiliated with an agency or have a residency in nc then I could bring apply for my nc card true or not?

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
So what you're saying is you passed your state level exams, but failed your NR's, and due to the current law of the land you can't practice so you want to try to get reciprocity in a border state? Well, you need to contact the NC state EMS office and talk with them first of all to see if they'll recognize a SC state card that's missing the seemingly all important NR, and if so what steps you specifically need to take. In most cases border states are easy transfers, however each case is different.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why not retake the NREMT written and pass it? Also, not to be a **** but maybe an English class as well.

The word you're looking for is reciprocity not "retro prosody". Also it's "taken" not "tooken".

If I remember correctly NC won't certify you until you're affiliated (employed) by a licensed EMS agency in NC but I may be wrong.

Your best bet is to call the NC EMS Office and ask them about reciprocity as their website is a total piece of garbage.

If Southern Carolina requires NREMT are you sure you are truly certified in SC? Some states require NREMT for initial certification, NC may be one of them.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It's been a while since I had to deal with these issues so things may have changed, but living on the border between the two states and having worked in both of them, I can tell you that for paramedics (it may be different for basics):
  • Coming from out of state, NC won't give you a card unless you've been sponsored (hired) by a NC agency - they do not require NREMT nor does it give you any advantage in this process
  • SC does not require NREMT to get a SC card and start working there, but you need to have NREMT in order to recert

Again, things may have changed in the past few years, and it might be different for basics, anyway.

Any way you look at it, you need to call NCOEMS and ask them.

OP
OP
Nate p

Nate p

Forum Ride Along
that's what I'm asking I have put in my application with county ems service, and I have contacted the ncoems and the director of the service , ncoems says they can and I have spoken with a few of them and some say the can and some say they can't at the office of ncoems I was just wondering if anyone had ever delt with this issue

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If I remember correctly NC won't certify you until you're affiliated (employed) by a licensed EMS agency in NC but I may be wrong.

Your best bet is to call the NC EMS Office and ask them about reciprocity as their website is a total piece of garbage.
Actually, your best bet is to check out their website..... http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/ems/resopros.htm

It even has pictures and explains the rules quite clearly. if you still have questions (or are in NV ;)), you can contact 919-733-7021, or email Alesia.Hester@dhhs.nc.gov. Alesia is in charge of the whole process, and she was very helpful when I was going through the process.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Actually, your best bet is to check out their website..... http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/ems/resopros.htm

It even has pictures and explains the rules quite clearly. if you still have questions (or are in NV ;)), you can contact 919-733-7021, or email Alesia.Hester@dhhs.nc.gov. Alesia is in charge of the whole process, and she was very helpful when I was going through the process.

Apparently our Google in NV is different than the rest of the U.S. :p

That or I just didn't read far enough down that page.

phideux

Forum Captain
It's been a while since I had to deal with these issues so things may have changed, but living on the border between the two states and having worked in both of them, I can tell you that for paramedics (it may be different for basics):
  • Coming from out of state, NC won't give you a card unless you've been sponsored (hired) by a NC agency - they do not require NREMT nor does it give you any advantage in this process
  • SC does not require NREMT to get a SC card and start working there, but you need to have NREMT in order to recert
Again, things may have changed in the past few years, and it might be different for basics, anyway.

Any way you look at it, you need to call NCOEMS and ask them.

That's pretty close.
A buddy of mine lives in NMB and works over the border in Brunswick County. With your SC numbers a company will hire or "sponsor" you, then NC will give you your NC card.
As far as the NREMT and State certs, that just recently changed, you used to be able to get your state card without NREMT, but now you need NR to get your state numbers.
Also that's for medics, I don't know if it works the same for EMT-B or EMT-I.