Brand New to EMS and frustrated

angel0125

Forum Ride Along
About a month and a half ago I got a job with a Southern California ambulance company as an EMT-B. This is my first job in the EMS field and as all new jobs go I was very excited to begin a career in the medical field. The first few weeks went very well--I passed my attendant training quickly and moved right on to driver training. As time began to pass I started noticing that all my co-worker seemed bitter to the company that we were working for, bitter towards each other and very impatient with our our patients (including cursing at the patients and at each other). It seemed that there is no sense of teamwork or appreciation within this company--when i am positive or upbeat about being at work I am looked down upon--it honestly makes me question whether I have chosen the right profession. Are all ambulance companies like this or did I just make a mistake choosing the one I'm with right now?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Get your medic and find a different company, one that melds with your ideals.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
"including cursing at the patients " WTF, if my employees would to ever curse at a patient, that would be the last thing they did with my company as I would fire them(no warning for such stuff).I agree with Linuss that you should find another company.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As time began to pass I started noticing that all my co-worker seemed bitter to the company that we were working for, bitter towards each other and very impatient with our our patients (including cursing at the patients and at each other). It seemed that there is no sense of teamwork or appreciation within this company--when i am positive or upbeat about being at work I am looked down upon--it honestly makes me question whether I have chosen the right profession. Are all ambulance companies like this or did I just make a mistake choosing the one I'm with right now?

A lot of people in So Cal IFT jobs are essentially stuck. They have no drive to be involved in EMS outside of the benefit it might give them to get on with a fire department and only want to be involved long enough to either get onto the FD or medic class. They don't feel care about medicine, they don't feel connected at the company in any meaningful sense. Most importantly, though, they don't own their own work. By "owning" one's own work, I mean that said work is a reflection on themselves. So what if they consider it a BS taxi job with no care past punching in and punching out? However, you can only control your own work. Do the job to the best of your abilities. Do what's right, regardless of if asked for or not.

Additionally, if your partner shows a continuous lack of respect for patients and other health care providers, there should be a process for bringing them to the attention of supervisors. Cuss out my patient and I guarantee you that there will be an incident report on it.

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
When I first started with the IFT company in my area, it was exactly as you stated, minus the cursing. I wanted to quit within the first week, and I too was questioning if it was what I really wanted to do.

Luckily I only worked weekends so i build a good rapport with my partner. The people that brought the company down left, and or were dismissed within a month or so, and I kid you not, within a week, our company morale was through the roof. All the nursing and hospital staff could tell. We even had calls made to our supervisors about how respectable and courteous the new crews were, even pt's made calls to express their gratitude.

What i'm trying to get at is, that's IT'S the company, not the job. If you have a true passion for people and helping them, in any way, even BLS calls you have found a great profession. Best thing to do is STAY positive! If need be you could have a chit-chat with your superiors about your co-workers attitudes. If nothing changes, leave, and run far far away from that company.

/rant

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
About a month and a half ago I got a job with a Southern California ambulance company as an EMT-B. This is my first job in the EMS field and as all new jobs go I was very excited to begin a career in the medical field. The first few weeks went very well--I passed my attendant training quickly and moved right on to driver training. As time began to pass I started noticing that all my co-worker seemed bitter to the company that we were working for, bitter towards each other and very impatient with our our patients (including cursing at the patients and at each other). It seemed that there is no sense of teamwork or appreciation within this company--when i am positive or upbeat about being at work I am looked down upon--it honestly makes me question whether I have chosen the right profession. Are all ambulance companies like this or did I just make a mistake choosing the one I'm with right now?

Find another partner who takes pride in the work they do and screw the rest of them. Your not going to change the mindset of EMS. What you can do is make sure you do your part.

You have to live with the decisions you make and being able to lay your head down at night with a clear conscience knowing you did everything you could for your patients is what defines professionalism, it really doesnt matter if its a shooting or a person going to dialysis.

Lead and they will follow or at least they will get out of your way.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Once you fully trust that your observations are correct consider that what you've come across is a company-wide culture that is completely out of sync with who you are. The longer you stay, the more likely parts of that BS will rub off on you. It's your choice. The only thing you could do wrong is NOT look elsewhere. It should be clear from this site that there's many more like you than unlike you. Find them!

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
I was wondering the same thing. It's sad to hear about the company functioned especially in regards to cursing out patients. However, if what you really want to be is an EMT - and your heart is totally in it, see what you can do or how you can make the job kinda work for you... If not I agree with some of the other posts out here. Find a different company to work for.

You're an EMT - there's many companies, not just one.

~ Lucy

Leonidas1

Forum Crew Member
Just focus on being an outstanding Medic. If you believe that you`re doing the right thing, keep at it. In my opinion, the most important aspects of our job is..... Safe, and timely response, proper patient assessment, appropriate treatment of the patient, and safe transport to the appropriate medical facility. Oh yeh, and proper documentation, documentation. If you continue to do these, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that every shift you work, and finish, you can return home with a clean conscious. All the best.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Just focus on being an outstanding Medic. If you believe that you`re doing the right thing, keep at it. In my opinion, the most important aspects of our job is..... Safe, and timely response, proper patient assessment, appropriate treatment of the patient, and safe transport to the appropriate medical facility. Oh yeh, and proper documentation, documentation. If you continue to do these, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that every shift you work, and finish, you can return home with a clean conscious. All the best.

Do you sign your trip sheets " I AM SPARTA! " ?

:)