BLS in Gainesville

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know which companies run BLS in Gainesville, FL? Also what do they do (911, transports) and roughly how much do they make? Might be moving there. Have experience.

reaper

Working Bum
Gainesville Fire/Rescue runs the city. Alachua county Fire/rescue runs the county. I do not know if there is any private services running IFT in the area. You may be able to find a 911 job in the smaller counties north of Gainesville, as most are county services.

As far as pay, expect any where from $7-10 an hour for a basic!

Parama-dick

Forum Ride Along
I don't think there are any private companies anywhere near G-ville anymore.

reaper

Working Bum
Century runs IFT in a lot of the counties North of Gainesville.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Dang. Well the girl is thinking about moving there for vet school. Most of these vet schools are in rural areas. Are they only IFT's? Do they have some "ER" calls?

reaper

Working Bum
Matt,

UF's vet school is in the middle of the city. It is one of the best in the country, so she is making a good choice.

If you want to drive a little, you can get 911 work. You can go 40 minutes west and work for Dixie county EMS. 40 minutes NW is Lafeyette county EMS. 30 minutes NE is union county EMS. 45 minutes North is Hamilton county EMS. 45 minutes NW is Doctors Memorial EMS.

All are county EMS systems, except for Doctors Memorial which is hospital based. All run Basic/medic trucks. So you do have some options to look at.

Just don't become a Gators fan!!!

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the info reaper. Lol im used to driving 15 mins to my current company. I know in San Diego, Rural Metro is the main private company followed by AMR. What would be the main company there?

reaper

Working Bum
In the North part of the state the only private service is Century Ambulance. They are based out of Jacksonville, but have stations in some of the rural counties too. They are mainly IFT's, but do back up the county EMS services when needed.

They are a very good company to work for. The owner actually cares about his employees and they have a great standard of care.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Ugh I was hoping to get out of IFT's. Downgrade 911's would be nice. Thats one thing I wish we did. Do they contract out to SNF's? Here thats what we do and thats how we get our ER calls. Im glad he cares about the employees. Thats one thing our company lacks.

reaper

Working Bum
Ugh I was hoping to get out of IFT's. Downgrade 911's would be nice. Thats one thing I wish we did. Do they contract out to SNF's? Here thats what we do and thats how we get our ER calls. Im glad he cares about the employees. Thats one thing our company lacks.

They do SNF's contracts, but they also do a lot of hospital to hospital transports to Gainesville or Jax. All the county services I mentioned are 911 only.