Blood Pressure

Hopper

Forum Probie
A patient who was diagnose with a partially block carotid artery.Vitals were Alert/Confused/02 10L/P60/Resp12/skin Norm./Color good/lungs clear.
When getting the bp it started 168 at 164 stopped started again at 150 stopped started at 146 stopped started 136 stopped started 130 stopped started 124 stopped started 120 and was steady down to 90.What would be the systolic number and what is the term for this?I should know this.Guess I need a refresher,but it has been awhile since the last one I heard.

Hastings

Noobie
A patient who was diagnose with a partially block carotid artery.Vitals were Alert/Confused/02 10L/P60/Resp12/skin Norm./Color good/lungs clear.
When getting the bp it started 168 at 164 stopped started again at 150 stopped started at 146 stopped started 136 stopped started 130 stopped started 124 stopped started 120 and was steady down to 90.What would be the systolic number and what is the term for this?I should know this.Guess I need a refresher,but it has been awhile since the last one I heard.

Explain this starting and stopping.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I think he is referring to the bouncing of the needle as the air is let out of the cuff to auscultate the pressure? In that case, the bouncing of the needle is caused by the force of blood pushing through the artery each time the heart beats.

OP
OP
H

Hopper

Forum Probie
There was a pause/silence between numbers.There was a steady beat from 120 down 90.I've heard of the term Thready pulse.Not to say that the bp is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It sounds like you heard Korotkoff sounds that one hears when taking a blood pressure. You should actually hear actually hear five sounds. This is really how one is supposed to take a blood pressure.

Unfortunately, majority of EMT's & even Paramedics do not even how to actually listen and take a true blood pressure.

I listed a link to explain it more...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korotkoff_sounds

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Good link rid. actually my EMT-B instructor told us about this but couldn't go in depth. when i made it to medic school it wasn't even mentioned. now that i know more about A&P it makes things a ton easier.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yeah, we take short cuts only to pay for them later. When I teach basics, I teach everything, it is much easier and less confusion later on if they advance. Ironically, Basics seem to grasp topics like MAP, critical closing pressures, cerebral & coronary pressures, much easier than some of the advanced students who assumed they knew it already.

R/r 911

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, we take short cuts only to pay for them later. When I teach basics, I teach everything, it is much easier and less confusion later on if they advance. Ironically, Basics seem to grasp topics like MAP, critical closing pressures, cerebral & coronary pressures, much easier than some of the advanced students who assumed they knew it already.

R/r 911

I'm glad that you're doing this. I just picked up some information on cerebral perfusion pressure in a CE class and I found it completely relevant and extremely important.

CPP = MAP - ICP? .... OMG!

Really though, to truly grasp what's going on with our patients as well as what the hell we're doing to them and why we need to be learning stuff like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
ah yes this is most clearly defined when your in A&P...before you ever start medic school...they should really touch up on it a bit and how it relates to the field when your in school don't you think?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
There are times when the simplest theory can have the greatest benefit......

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
That is good information, I always wondered how the nurses knew what numbers my BP was.