Blood Glucose Checks

JPINFV

Gadfly
If anyone isn't getting the Carlin reference, do yourself a favor and google "7 dirty words." Beforwarned, foul language used...

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
Yeah...I do...

Wiki lists them...

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: isn't one of them :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's a part of his skit where he talks about the 2 way words. Like balls. It's ok to say, "Roberto Clametti has 2 balls on him.", but you can't say "I think he hurt his balls on that play."

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Maine

In Maine, the basic can use the glucometer but must call for ALS... common practice is to cancel ALS if the reading is normal or slightly off and oral glucose brings a hypoglycemic patient back to normal readings and signs/symptoms return to normal.

The only times I have had the chance to do it is on clinical ride times, where I had a medic with my anyway :)

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
In Maine, the basic can use the glucometer but must call for ALS... common practice is to cancel ALS if the reading is normal or slightly off and oral glucose brings a hypoglycemic patient back to normal readings and signs/symptoms return to normal.

The only times I have had the chance to do it is on clinical ride times, where I had a medic with my anyway :)

That seems backwards...shouldn't you check the reading before calling ALS?

What's the normal response time in your area for ALS backup? Is it really long or something?

mcdonl

Forum Captain
That seems backwards...shouldn't you check the reading before calling ALS?

That was what I said... :) but... no such luck.

What's the normal response time in your area for ALS backup? Is it really long or something?

XG... in my small town (4000 people....) we have one or two medic's that work perdiem one or two days a week, the rest of the time they are full time in the cities we are about 30 minutes from.

Our average response time looks like this:

Call comes in = t
Ambulance Leaves = t+8-10 minutes
On Scene = t+12-15 minutes

So, like I said.. if one of our ALS providers are in town, and respond we generally just have a basic as a driver but if they are not around we have to call for mutual aid from the neighboring town to our East, and they are roughly 10 minutes away on a good day, with perfect conditions and they also are limited so if we can minimize the amount of time they spend in our town just because we want to rule out a blood sugar problem we do.

I hope that all made sense.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

In my area (as if you were actually talking to me)... zero. There are no BLS units. Medic/Basic on all calls, unless the planets align and you have Medic/Medic.

And to the original question, Yes. Basics can perform BGL checks

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I hold certifications in two states, we can check BGL in both, one we can use oral glucose and glucagon the other just oral glucose.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
That was what I said... :) but... no such luck.

XG... in my small town (4000 people....) we have one or two medic's that work perdiem one or two days a week, the rest of the time they are full time in the cities we are about 30 minutes from.

Our average response time looks like this:

Call comes in = t
Ambulance Leaves = t+8-10 minutes
On Scene = t+12-15 minutes

So, like I said.. if one of our ALS providers are in town, and respond we generally just have a basic as a driver but if they are not around we have to call for mutual aid from the neighboring town to our East, and they are roughly 10 minutes away on a good day, with perfect conditions and they also are limited so if we can minimize the amount of time they spend in our town just because we want to rule out a blood sugar problem we do.

I hope that all made sense.

It takes you 10 minutes to get out the door? Wow...we've aim for <1min. before we're rolling.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Given the size, it's possible that it's a volunteer service that doesn't have a station crew. Call comes in, pagers go off, providers respond to the station, and then respond in the ambulance to the call. However, yea... in general I can't see a reason for a 5-10 minute delay between alert and response response (maybe if someone was taking a shower or taking a poop when the response came in...).

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
WA Basics can. And they give oral glucose.

I guess...

I just think :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: is used on this forum more often when needles are involved...

Is it bad to say poke? We didn't know if we should call IV practicals in ILS calss a poke party or a stick party. We ended up with stick since drugs are less offensive. :)

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
Oregon

Getting a BGL is well within Basic Protocols same with admin Oral Glucose.

CA_EMT

Forum Ride Along
I worked in Orange County from 2005-2007, however Orange County did not have that package when I worked there. It does look like they're adding it with the new EMT accreditation program though.

Edit to include:

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/laws/files/reg2.pdf

Page 16, starting with line 9 if you're curious as to where I know about the "optional skills package."

Those are the old regs. When the new ones take effect on July 1 you will have to be an AEMT (previously CA EMT-II) to do blood glucose determination.

An EMT-B (previously called an EMT-I (1) by CA) can still give oral glucose though. The Scope of Practice has not changed. They just took away a lot of the "optional skills" and moved them to the AEMT Scope of Practice

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Since the EMT2010 project hasn't gone into effect yet, how could these be "old?" Sure, it'll be gone in a few short months, but it ain't dead yet. What'll be interesting to see, though, is if any counties will use the grandfather clause to keep EMT-IIs around and if anyone else will start to use AEMTs (very doubtful) as a replacement for EMTs.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
JP's correct. Basics here can check BGL if the local EMS agency has approved it and the Basic is accredited to do that skill. Interventions, however, are generally limited to oral glucose. As an example: Santa Clara County is a little different... I looked around and haven't seen the optional scope of practice for EMT's. The last time I looked at it, they called it Advanced EMT or EMT Enhanced or something like that, and the max scope was basically EMT-2 without IV's or IV meds. That was about 10 years ago...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
A prime example of California's limitless ability to complicate stuff.

Too many consarned flavors of emergency medical technician.
They teach 85 y/o semi-senescent spinster ladies to do fingersticks, fer gosh sakes!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
In TN, our EMT-IVs can check blood glucose levels, administer oral glucose and D5w, and D50. There is a push right now in our state to move from the EMT-IV level to what is known as "EMT-Advanced" which adds the ability to initiate 12 leads (but not read them, yes I know how redundant this sounds), and to administer narcan. They are doing GAP analysis right now with regard to the DOT National Standard vs EMT-IV.

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Here in MA, protocol says: "Use of electronic glucose measuring devices by EMT Basic and Intermediate personnel is considered to be an Optional Skill when the EMT B or I is working under the supervision of a Paramedic in the P-B or P-I staffing configuration. EMT Basic personnel may also be trained in the use of a glucometer at the solo Basic level as a service option."

Can Basics in your state check glucose levels?

Yes, heck, it is one of the simple things to do. We are required to get a signtature from the ER doctor when we arrive there, bu that is a local thing.