Blood Glucose Checks

ajax

Forum Crew Member
Here in MA, protocol says: "Use of electronic glucose measuring devices by EMT Basic and Intermediate personnel is considered to be an Optional Skill when the EMT B or I is working under the supervision of a Paramedic in the P-B or P-I staffing configuration. EMT Basic personnel may also be trained in the use of a glucometer at the solo Basic level as a service option."

Can Basics in your state check glucose levels?

JPINFV

Gadfly
In California, with the right "Optional Skills Package" they can.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
its part of our regions protocols..

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Any basic in NM can do it. And I believe any basic in CO can do it

8jimi8

CFRN
tx yes.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
As 8jimi said, yes, EMTs can check BGL in the state of Texas, and it's expected that a new basic be able to (In my area)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just curious what county you work in?

I worked in Orange County from 2005-2007, however Orange County did not have that package when I worked there. It does look like they're adding it with the new EMT accreditation program though.

Edit to include:

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/laws/files/reg2.pdf

Page 16, starting with line 9 if you're curious as to where I know about the "optional skills package."

Last edited by a moderator:

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Up in Canada, it's in the scope of practice for EMRs (equivalent to EMT-B) to check BGL. Most EMS companies that hire EMRs will allow them to operate in their full scope.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Our Ambulance Technician (somewhere between EMT B and EMT I) can check a BGL and give IM Glucagon.

Even our trainee Technicians working as an Ambulance Assistant can check a BGL.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Depends on your MCO and the service. In some services down here in the South, Basics can't do any "invasive skill", including BGL's. If you work for a service whose MCO is a little more liberal, BGL's are permitted. IMHO, there's no reason under the heavens why a Basic can't do a BGL when a patient's 7 year old granddaughter can...

MRE

Forum Captain
My service does BGL checks at the basic level without any oversight. So there is at least one rural town service doing it in MA.

abuan

Forum Crew Member
basics in hawaii can when working under a paramedic similar to your set up. but if on a BLS rig, then no.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So why the problem with EMTs checking a BGL?
The criticisms in the US tend to be that it's an invasive skill (poking the finger), and requires some semblance of aseptic technique, it will cloud the decision making of the EMT, or delay on-scene assessment unnecessarily.
Perhaps the most important criticism is that ultimately, EMTs have few resources to correct BGL findings. Many, if not all BLS trucks carry oral glucose, but if a patient is hyperglycemic or unable to maintain their own airway, there is nothing the crew can do.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
I'm just a student doing ride-alongs and I've taken it on 3 different patients...

gloves, open bandaid/2x2/alcohol set aside, swab finger, gauze away alcohol (messes with the reading), poke with a safety needle, bleed, test, bandaid, dispose of all wrappings in a glove.

How hard is that? :p

I live in Virginia.

Also...we CAN do something if they are hyperglycemic and mostly functional, if we get a stupid diabetic with a high glucose, we can ask med control if we should ask the diabetic to self-administer insulin.

If they are hypo, we give them some glucose.

Why is p r i ck censored on this forum? That's a little overzealous no?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why is p r i ck censored on this forum? That's a little overzealous no?

It's one of those two way words. It's ok to ____ your finger... just don't finger your _____.

/channeling George Carlin.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
It's one of those two way words. It's ok to ____ your finger... just don't finger your _____.

/channeling George Carlin.

I guess...

I just think :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: is used on this forum more often when needles are involved...