Best EKG app or book

kreil45

Forum Probie
I am looking for a EKG app or book. I want one that will teach me how to read them. All the ones that I find are just practice test. I need to learn them.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Basic Arrhythmias by Gail Walraven is great. Dubin is a good book too.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I am looking for a EKG app or book. I want one that will teach me how to read them. All the ones that I find are just practice test. I need to learn them.
Anything but Dubin. Put directly in trash. Too many "tricks" that are flat out myths.

12-Leads:
- Garcia and Holtz: 12-Lead ECG Art of Interpretation. (best book out there bar none)

3-Leads:
- Garcia's Arrhythmias Art of Interpretation

General electrocardiography texts? Walraven's isn't bad, but I'd take Marriott's Practical Electrocardiography over it any day of the week.

Online:

Alan E. Lindsay ECG Learning Center (http://ecg.utah.edu)
EMS 12-Lead Blog and Podcast (http://www.ems12lead.com bias alert, I'm a senior editor)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually, I disagree as well as many medical schools, Dubins has been accountable for several decades, I also do agree Marriott's is well written. After you have mastered the basics I suggest Bob Pages Twelve Lead ECG Interpertation. It is geared for the prehospital environment and has many clear ECG's to study, Mike Taigmans Advanced Cardiology is also a great one written by a distinguished Paramedic.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, I disagree as well as many medical schools, Dubins has been accountable for several decades, I also do agree Marriott's is well written. After you have mastered the basics I suggest Bob Pages Twelve Lead ECG Interpertation. It is geared for the prehospital environment and has many clear ECG's to study, Mike Taigmans Advanced Cardiology is also a great one written by a distinguished Paramedic.
Many paramedics, nurses, and med students still believe nonsense such as LBBB excludes the diagnosis of MI from an ECG or that VT/SVT-A are reliably differentiated by cute tricks. Traditional texts like Dubins are a big part of the problem. It is much easier to do it right the first time, than to fall behind and catch up later.

Also, I'll +1 Taigman's and throw in Brady's ECG in Prehospital Emergency Care and Phalen's 12-Lead ECG in Acute MI.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Anything but Dubin. Put directly in trash. Too many "tricks" that are flat out myths.

Not to mention the guy is a pedophile, and he lost his medical license. There are better books, written by upstanding citizens.

I have used Tim Phalen's The 12-Lead ECG in Acute Coronary Syndromes for learning 12-lead interpretation. There's a ton of practice 12-leads in there, and I've found that reading practice EKGs was the best way for me to learn.

Gail Walraven's Basic Arrhythmias is good for basic interpretation.

Last edited:

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Although Dubin is a pedophile his book is a good INTRO ekgs.

And BECAUSE Dubin is a pedophile I don't feel too bad about downloading his book maybe for free.

It certainly is not the be all end all but it presents an easily approachable system to look at what can be considered a difficult subject.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I think Brady makes some of the best EMS educational material out there, Ive had good luck with them. I think Garcia was good for 12 lead.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Garcia. Thumbs up.

Also EKGs Made Easy. Blue cover.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Garcia's, based on the recommendation from Chris a while back I bought the books. I taught myself may more than I thought I could have.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I worked through the Dubin book but was not satisfied with my knowledge, so I picked up the Garcia book. There is absolutely no comparison... Garcia blows Dubin out of the water. Beats it by a mile. Like it's not even remotely close, and I can't fathom how anyone could say otherwise. I can't speak for any other resources out there, but Garcia is definitely a fantastic place to start.

Dubin does a good job of giving a cursory understanding of EKG's, but if you aspire to someday be an EKG master I would recommend not wasting your time with it.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I worked through the Dubin book but was not satisfied with my knowledge, so I picked up the Garcia book. There is absolutely no comparison... Garcia blows Dubin out of the water. Beats it by a mile. Like it's not even remotely close, and I can't fathom how anyone could say otherwise. I can't speak for any other resources out there, but Garcia is definitely a fantastic place to start.

Dubin does a good job of giving a cursory understanding of EKG's, but if you aspire to someday be an EKG master I would recommend not wasting your time with it.
I've been reading Dubin's book. It seems like that is a good start. Might as well finish it since I have it. Do you think it will give me a head start on Garcia's? Or should I ditch it and just move over to Garcia?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Dubin's breaks down concepts very simply. It's a great book to start with. I'd say finish it, then move on to Garcia's. Dubin's is a very light read anyway, so it shouldn't take long.