Best cold weather gloves?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I just use "glove mates" under my gloves. They keep my hands just warm enough to do the job, but not so warm that I forget the patient is COLD! If I want to be in the back of the warm rig, I want my patient there too...

d0nk3yk0n9

Forum Crew Member
Thats actually a pretty good idea. i was thinking maybe a pair of like underarmor gloves. from what ive seen theyre really flexible and thin. Ill deff try cheap-os first though :D

One good option for cheap, thin gloves would be military surplus glove liners. They make them in polypro and in a wool/polypro blend and in a couple of different thicknesses. If you have a surplus store near you, it might be worth checking out.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The OP apparently wants to keep the weather gloves on and donn anti-BBF gloves over THEM to provide pt care.

Hm. Maybe wear a thin thermal glove with the fingers cut off, then over-donn with an extra large (for you) protective anti-BBF glove? I still don't think so. Get that pt into the warm.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yeah i guess youre right, i dont think we will have to brutal of a winter this year anyways. I dont think I can say the same for the coastal states though :sad:

Ha! You make me laugh.

And ya I've never seen someone wear gloves under their gloves. Think about trying to start an IV.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Actually, double-gloving with just protective gloves can impart some heat retention, and double gloving is a must for many biohazardous situations.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
I like to use cheap brown jersey gloves. They are thin and I am able to either pull exam gloves over them or slip them over the exam gloves, depends on the make of the exam gloves. It keeps blood off the hands yet gives a little warmth. Works will for me to -20. After that it's just cold.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
So far i think the double gloves idea would probably be the most preferred choice. plus if one of the layers tear, i have another pair on so its a win-win.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
My area sees winter temps as low as -20f and -5 to -10 on a regular basis.

I buy cheap pairs of lined leather gloves from the army navy store. I use them mostly at winter MVA's. Id rather keep my hands cut free and deal with a slightly higher risk for exposure. My logic is that as long as I dont have any cuts on my hands I have pretty decent BSI bare handed. At $5 a pair I am happy to throw them out if they get "moist".

While it is hard to do a lot of things with winter gloves on, it is also really hard to do things with numb fingers.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
While it is hard to do a lot of things with winter gloves on, it is also really hard to do things with numb fingers.

My point exactly. and a lot of houses ive gone into (especially in the D) either keep their heat on virtually null or dont have it to begin with. so working codes even in a house its sometimes below freezing. not to mention middle of january MVAs. average of 15 degrees or less

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
AS its getting cold and I'm not a big fan of being uncomfortable I just ordered some Mechanix covert gloves from amazon, should be good for providing a barrier between me and cold metal stairchair, stretcher, etc and the cold in general. Pt. care will be good old exam gloves though. BTWthey are less than $20 right now.