Besides the ambulance/fd, where else can you work as an EMT?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay are we having a marathon on raising dead posts? .. By the way you can also get a job a McDonald's, Burger King, and Wal-Mart .. that is where I see many EMT's go after graduating.

R/r 911

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
HAHA HAHA, I did not even look at the date, when I posted.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Hospital, industrial. I saw a job posting just recently for an EMT-P at a hospital to work with cardio rehab patients. Industrial is pretty boring, but the pay can often be above ambulance around these parts.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
If you are not located in Hollywood but someplace where they do a lot of location filming, you could hook on with a production company. I recently had to pass on a film gig (EMT-B, $20 an hour) . AMR gets most of the contracts for that sort of thing around here, but the indy crews still make some extra bucks.
Also, the local convention center and expo center staff a first aid room for trade shows/dog shows/sportsmen's shows whatever. Not exciting, but semi-regular employment.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
So I was thinking. And places like Chuck E Cheese... and other childrens places probably wouldn't mind having an EMT around. Might not be working as an EMT there... but you could use your skills and just having that EMT cert might help you in getting a job... that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So I was thinking. And places like Chuck E Cheese... and other childrens places probably wouldn't mind having an EMT around. Might not be working as an EMT there... but you could use your skills and just having that EMT cert might help you in getting a job... that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Okay, not to be rude, but what does and why does a restaurant need an Emergency Medical Technician? What skills were you taught.. how to add additional Canadian Bacon and extra cheese?

I was just joking and being derogatory about McDonalds.. but talk about demeaning a profession!

If restaurant wants to know what to do.. give a simple choking and CPR course, much cheaper and more effective. One does not a health care professional to be on the premises for the "just in case". We have became too paranoid in our society.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm just trying to give info on getting a job... i'm sure the EMT will put you above... If other places are like my town... it's hard to get a job ANYWHERE. Much less at an ambulance company or FD. Even the children's restaurants have fights, falls, bumps and bruises around here... so you can have a little work with it... but not much.

Perhaps it was a poor suggestion...

John E

Forum Captain
While it's true...

that people who want to work as Set Medics would get more work in SoCal than most other locales, there is work out there in other parts of the country for those who look for it.

It's not for everyone, you have to be willing to put aside some of the "Ricky Rescue" attitude and realise that you are a part of a group of people working to increase safety and promote better health on the set. If a Set Medic can help keep the talent or a key crew member working after an injury or illness, they could be saving a producer literally tens of thousands of dollars, the ones I work for know that and they show their appreciation in my day rate.

As for some of the other advise I've read here, there's no "film company lists" that I'm aware of. There is a union, IATSE 767, First Aid Providers. It consists of EMT's, Paramedics, RN's, MD's, Rescue Divers, etc. Union work is the hardest to come by and ironically it doesn't pay as well as what I primarily do which is work on commercial productions. You've have to be willing to start on low or non-existent budget films to make the contacts with producers and production coordinators who do the actual hiring in the industry.

I don't want to sound insensitive or arrogant but $20.00/hour is at the very low end of the pay scale. Of course you have to provide your own equipment but if you're willing to work hard and do a good job, there are people making a 6 figure income working as Set Medics in the film industry. To keep that in perspective, I worked on a car commercial earlier this year for 4 days, the talent budget for that job alone, according to a source in the production company was $2,000,000.00.

Another avenue is event coverage, not as an ambulance attendant standing by, the only people making any money at that are the ones that own the ambulances, but working for the venue and providing first aid for employees and attendees at concerts and similiar events. Starting pay for that is around $20.00 per hour. Again, it's not like working on an ambulance. I'm sure that most folks here look down on event and Set medics, that's fine.

I would also look at things like CPR instructing, health fair screenings. If someone out there has an enterprising streak, start a company providing EMS care for youth sports events. Parents will pay a lot if it means that their kids are safer and are gonna get prompt treatment if there's an accident on the field.

And if all else fails, teach the thousands of new EMTs who think that they're gonna make a career at a job paying minimum wages...

John E.

Ttlatroo

Forum Ride Along
Bump*

The hospital I work in is also hiring EMTs as hyperbaric technicians to assess patients vs and such before, during, and after treatments. Also they train you on running the hyperbaric machines. Just another option for anyone who's still interested in knowing other directions than those previously mentioned in this thread.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Really getting old with people posting into really dead threads. This one is eight years old since the last post. If you have something useful to post start a new thread.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Bump*

The hospital I work in is also hiring EMTs as hyperbaric technicians to assess patients vs and such before, during, and after treatments. Also they train you on running the hyperbaric machines. Just another option for anyone who's still interested in knowing other directions than those previously mentioned in this thread.
They don't require DMT???
Most places I know use RN, RT, or DMT+EMT

Ttlatroo

Forum Ride Along
Really getting old with people posting into really dead threads. This one is eight years old since the last post. If you have something useful to post start a new thread.

I found this thread on the first page of a Google search which suggests that the question and information are still relevant 8 years later. Do you prefer new people to come up with the same responses for any particular reason or are you just nitpicking?

Many people still wonder what their options are. I'm just adding to the list of ideas that already provided here not yet outdated by new laws or significant change of practice.

If this thread makes you feel old, that's not my problem. The information is still good.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

They don't require DMT???
Most places I know use RN, RT, or DMT+EMT

At this hospital they don't require it, because they will train you on the equipment and chamber levels. You're basically there to monitor the patients vital signs. They do however expect you to have at least 2 years of emergency medical experience.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I found this thread on the first page of a Google search which suggests that the question and information are still relevant 8 years later. Do you prefer new people to come up with the same responses for any particular reason or are you just nitpicking?

Many people still wonder what their options are. I'm just adding to the list of ideas that already provided here not yet outdated by new laws or significant change of practice.

If this thread makes you feel old, that's not my problem. The information is still good.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

At this hospital they don't require it, because they will train you on the equipment and chamber levels. You're basically there to monitor the patients vital signs. They do however expect you to have at least 2 years of emergency medical experience.
Not saying your information wasn't good. And Google will pull up anything it has in its database regardless of when it was posted, so making that it came up in a Google search that lithos thread was still relevant is incorrect. The information is good but new threads have been created much more recently on this forum regarding the topic you were posting under.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
I work for a Township in NY that hires mostly seasonal employees to provide EMS coverage for ocean beaches. We have more seasoned leadership in a few people retired from EMS who stay active through us, plus one year-round full time employee and an ED and EMS-credentialed physician who come back after working as an EMT for the agency years ago. Pay isn't great compared to even the IFT companies, but work environment and attire are great, plus it turns out this is a pretty good place to gain experience for new EMTs, as the work is first response/fly car kind of stuff and they're out there in the field for a bit before an ambulance arrives.

Ttlatroo

Forum Ride Along
Not saying your information wasn't good. And Google will pull up anything it has in its database regardless of when it was posted, so making that it came up in a Google search that lithos thread was still relevant is incorrect. The information is good but new threads have been created much more recently on this forum regarding the topic you were posting under.

That's fine. Google doesn't make it relevant. If it was by chance it still doesn't change the result. All of the information was relative to a question i, myself, was asking. This thread came up without me needing to comb through pages of results, so I added to it. I apologize for not checking through the pages of more recent threads before adding on to this ancient subhuman hieroglyphics text from before the 2010's.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I found this thread on the first page of a Google search which suggests that the question and information are still relevant 8 years later.

Ah... it makes sense now...

Well, MMiz is pretty good at the SEO thing.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I work for a Township in NY that hires mostly seasonal employees to provide EMS coverage for ocean beaches. We have more seasoned leadership in a few people retired from EMS who stay active through us, plus one year-round full time employee and an ED and EMS-credentialed physician who come back after working as an EMT for the agency years ago. Pay isn't great compared to even the IFT companies, but work environment and attire are great, plus it turns out this is a pretty good place to gain experience for new EMTs, as the work is first response/fly car kind of stuff and they're out there in the field for a bit before an ambulance arrives.

I spent a summer working at one of the county beaches on the east end. Not much medicine but it was a lot of fun.