Beginning EMT class soon

mmcleve

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

I'm going to start EMT training soon for 6 months and was wondering how intense the course is? I bought the text book today and now I'm a bit intimidated.

What was the most difficult part of training?

All advice is welcome.

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
First off welcome to the forums!

The course is not to hard/intense. It does require you to actually read your book. Can't get by skimming it like you did in high school :p. Just give it your all and I'm sure you'll be fine. If you already have a course syllabus start reading the chapter's your going over the first few days of class. If not read the first couple chapters once or twice. This way the material presented to you is not 100% brand new.

Keep up on studying, reading and you'll be ok. I personally didn't find one subject to be anymore difficult then another in EMT-B. They were all fairly easy.

Good Luck!

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I can see how you are a little intimidated but dont worry, its not hard at all. As long as you read your text and pay attention in class you should be fine, completely fine.

A valuable learning tool is Youtube, seriously. There are so many videos out there to learn from, and most are pretty reliable.

Good luck.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
  • Keep up with assignments
  • Keep up with syllabus
  • Pay attention in class (ticks me off that three or four students in the back row were constantly texting on their cell phones and/or on Facebook)
  • Take notes
  • Ask questions, no matter how silly you may think they are.
  • Don't be ashamed to ask for help (either from fellow students or instructor)
  • Take your certification tests soon after graduating.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
The text book is scary, I agree. But as long as you use it as a bible for the six month class, you should be golden.

And the most valuable advice I can give you is to listen to the stories from your instructor. If s/he's a good instructor, her/his stories will be a wonderful insight to the way it works in the field.

Good luck, this website may be a little rough sometimes, but you can see that you will get support and honest input all the time, even if sometimes it's not what you want to hear. :)

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Focus on learning the NR check off sheets for the skills and remember (unfortunately) everyone gets oxygen.

---
- Sent from my iPhone.

OP
OP
M

mmcleve

Forum Ride Along
The text book is scary, I agree. But as long as you use it as a bible for the six month class, you should be golden.

And the most valuable advice I can give you is to listen to the stories from your instructor. If s/he's a good instructor, her/his stories will be a wonderful insight to the way it works in the field.

Good luck, this website may be a little rough sometimes, but you can see that you will get support and honest input all the time, even if sometimes it's not what you want to hear. :)

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk

Constructive criticism is wonderful, even if the person who's giving it isn't nice, I'll accept anything that will help me be better at what I do. I've been studying the human body chapter because I was told it's the most difficult part of the class (which doesn't start until august 30th). Some of it looks like a different language to me. I hope I have a good instructor because it's hard for me to just memorize words and their definitions, it doesn't become second nature until I know how it's used in a real life situation. The awesome thing about my textbook (Emergency care and transportation of the sick and injured) is that it has a website with a lot of study tools, and it also has a complete audio book of the textbook.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Constructive criticism is wonderful, even if the person who's giving it isn't nice, I'll accept anything that will help me be better at what I do. I've been studying the human body chapter because I was told it's the most difficult part of the class (which doesn't start until august 30th). Some of it looks like a different language to me. I hope I have a good instructor because it's hard for me to just memorize words and their definitions, it doesn't become second nature until I know how it's used in a real life situation. The awesome thing about my textbook (Emergency care and transportation of the sick and injured) is that it has a website with a lot of study tools, and it also has a complete audio book of the textbook.

Great book, people give all these other books and study tips for the NREMT, all I used was that book.

rescue13

Forum Probie
First Responder going EMT

I just finished First Responder training last year. I have hade a decent amount of experience in the field. Now I am starting EMT school and I am very nervous. This new book has a lot more information and is very intimidating. Help!!

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
I seen the First Responder book and obviously the EMT book and they are the same except drugs are added into the EMT book, no biggie.

Actually my first responder class was done with the EMT book ha ha!

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue13

Forum Probie
Im taking the EMT basic. After I complete this class how much trouble is it to get the IV classification. Or should I say what will I need to do?

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know about where you live or what they allow you to do. But my Base Hospital allows us to do them with a class of course because of how rural we are and our situation.

Shelley Watson

Forum Probie
I did EMT course as I had interest in the emergency services. But I didn't wanted to enter into ambulance services. I had a desire to work in the hospitals emergency ward and serve the people. But most of the hospitals ask for a phlebotomy certification as well. So I've enrolled in an online phlebotomy course from a reputed university. The following site has the information about my university. http://phlebotomytechnicianprograms.org/what-is-the-best-online-phlebotomy-technician-program/
I'm enjoying this course as it's not putting any stress on me. I'm also working with an ambulatory service as well. Is this the case in your hospitals also? Are they asking for phlebotomy certification?