Becoming a EMT-B without ambulance license

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
My license is currently suspended for minor traffic tickets that I haven't paid.(red light and unsafe pass in bike lane on motorcycle). It's been suspended for a little over 2 years and I just haven't had the money to pay them (it's a couple thousand). I'm going to be done with my EMT-B course in a few weeks and hopefully will pass the registry right after. Going to be looking for work when I get back from some annual training with the national guard (end of June) and am wondering if I should try and get my license situation handled before I start applying to companies or if I should just apply and try and get a job without my license. I'm hoping that they can look past it and understand it wasn't anything serious. I do understand that it does not reflect well on my character but hoping that military experience on my resume will help look past that.

Do you know people who work as an EMT-B and no drive the ambulance?

I'm planning on working as a EMT-B for experience while I continue my education.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
To start, glad to hear you plan to continue past EMT-B.

Now, about "looking past it". You can't truck a truck without a license, plain and simple. That said, there are companies that hire attendant-only EMTs, but those are few and far between, and generally private transport only. An alternative, however, is using your credentials in a place that doesn't require driving. Hospitals or clinics.

If you want to be competitive for an EMT-B position on an ambulance, get your license back. THEN worry about your record. Otherwise you pretty much have to find a company that hires EMTs to be only attendants.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
OP:

As the posted above me stated, you'll have a tough time finding any sort of work, volunteer or paid. Your best bet for being an attendant only would be on a rural department where they have EMTs and EMRs so you would never have to drive. Problem is, these organizations are usually municipal organizations who don't like to have people with any sort of record. Had they been parking tickets, you might have had a slightly better chance, but moving violations are a big no-no to some departments.

Private transport companies often do take EMT-B's as attendants only who don't drive. Expect your pay to be lower than that of your peers though since you aren't going to be as versatile. I had a company I worked for that took a guy with 2 DUIs. But he made a lot less than those of us who could drive. And it wasn't really a company you wanted to be working for (most people moved on after a few months).

Of note: Some states still might not require a drivers license to drive fire/ems apparatus owned by a municipality. I know that in some states, those vehicles don't even fall under the DMV (and as such don't have license plates, registrations, etc). Once again, finding a department that allows for a non-licensed driver to drive their apparatus is a HUGE liability and I know of only one off the top of my head that allowed it. They allowed those with learners permits to drive (but never to respond) apparatus if they were in a pinch, but it was usually just to get some equipment from the firehouse to the scene in the back of their utility truck, or to bring the truck out so some members could go home (the other member would drive the truck on the way back).

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I will be EMT-B and will not drive my ambulance, at least not right away.

Our squad actually has designated ambulance drivers. I have a driver already, a firefighter who is certified to drive the ambulance. My boyfriend is the Chief of the FD (a firefighter) and can also drive for me. It's a lot easier to find a driver to drive the EMT than an EMT to replace the EMT that is driving the ambulance.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I will be EMT-B and will not drive my ambulance, at least not right away.

Our squad actually has designated ambulance drivers. I have a driver already, a firefighter who is certified to drive the ambulance. My boyfriend is the Chief of the FD (a firefighter) and can also drive for me. It's a lot easier to find a driver to drive the EMT than an EMT to replace the EMT that is driving the ambulance.

In some places. In others (CA being the big one) EMTs are a dime a dozen

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I can see that, definitely not in this area though. We are in dire need of EMTs.
No offense to volunteers, but that seems to be the case most places I've been that there's not any professional EMS jobs, just volunteer ones. Less and less people want to pay their way through a class, or give up a lot of their time, for nothing in return

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The unpaid tickets are probably going to haunt you. Failure to pay a fine assigned to you can be viewed as an integrity problem. Also, a lot of states require a valid DL for EMS certs and licensure.

Pay your tickets, bro.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
No offense to volunteers, but that seems to be the case most places I've been that there's not any professional EMS jobs, just volunteer ones. Less and less people want to pay their way through a class, or give up a lot of their time, for nothing in return

There are paid EMT jobs around our area, just not in my squad. From what I can tell even paid positions for EMTs are not being filled.

That being said, I know, I'm one of the crazies doing it for free. The state is paying for my class since I am affiliated with a fire department and my squad will pay for my books, so not too bad. Money I have laid out has been for supplies for my personal bag and extras to help me learn and retain the info.

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the advice. Will be walking into court once I have a little cash to pay and then get on a payment plan and hopefully get my license back by convincing the judge I'm not a :censored::censored::censored::censored: bag, I'm just poor haha. No seriously though, I've met quiet a few folks with multiple DUIS and other things get their drivers license back to commute to work and school. It's all about the dough...

Called a local ambulance company that only does interfacility transport and they DO hire attendants only so that will be my fall back until I can earn money to pay off the ticket.

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
Do you need a special license to operate? I am going to be looking into a private company after this summer while I finish my main degree, should I go to the DMV to look into a Class B or something too?

newskimmer

Forum Ride Along

What region are you in?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you need a special license to operate? I am going to be looking into a private company after this summer while I finish my main degree, should I go to the DMV to look into a Class B or something too?

May vary from company to company, but I've never been near a situation where I needed anything other than a normal class C license. That said, companies do tend to have their own training/driving test. Now whether that means anything, well, depends on the company. I've been in one where it was very stringent, and I've heard of others where the FTO just chats with folks while you drive around cones.

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
Resurrecting this thread to ask a separate question instead of starting a whole new thread. I tried calling my local college but they are closed.

So, I took my EMT-B class Spring 2014 and I've been certified since September 2014. I had to work some issues out with my license and I finally got it back last month. Hoping to find an ambulance company that will look past the 2 points on my record and give me an opportunity.

I want to take the EMT-B refresher course which is only 4 days and 8 hours long each day. I figured it would help cause I'm about to start applying to companies. I understand that I have to do continuing education but does it matter exactly when I take the classes? Also, does the military combat life saving certification count as continuing education as well?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Resurrecting this thread to ask a separate question instead of starting a whole new thread. I tried calling my local college but they are closed.

So, I took my EMT-B class Spring 2014 and I've been certified since September 2014. I had to work some issues out with my license and I finally got it back last month. Hoping to find an ambulance company that will look past the 2 points on my record and give me an opportunity.

I want to take the EMT-B refresher course which is only 4 days and 8 hours long each day. I figured it would help cause I'm about to start applying to companies. I understand that I have to do continuing education but does it matter exactly when I take the classes? Also, does the military combat life saving certification count as continuing education as well?
It's going to depend on the state/county you are certified in. Usually it doesn't matter when you take a class as long as it is in the 2 year period before your cert expires (can't use classes from 3 years ago or at a time you didn't have your EMT cert).

Once again it's going to depend on the state/county and also the CLS course. For example CA will only allow Continued Education hours that are CECBEMS certified (Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services).

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
It's going to depend on the state/county you are certified in. Usually it doesn't matter when you take a class as long as it is in the 2 year period before your cert expires (can't use classes from 3 years ago or at a time you didn't have your EMT cert).

Once again it's going to depend on the state/county and also the CLS course. For example CA will only allow Continued Education hours that are CECBEMS certified (Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services).

Okay great that helps thanks. I'm in Southern California. Went on the CECBEMS website and can't find anything regarding CLS but the refresher course is on there so I'm just going to go ahead and take it.

ShearFish

Forum Ride Along

Depends on where you are. Private companies won't hire in my area unless you have your EVOC license/cert. But the municipalities will put you through it, but pay like garbage. (28%-35% below national average for paramedics). Working private in my area is much more rewarding both monetarily and mentally.