Basic working in an urgent care?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone heard of this before? There's a new urgent care opening up pretty close and I'm thinking of trying to see if they would hire an EMT.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Maybe? But they would probably prefer a CNA. An Urgent Care will not need any ER Tech skills other than cleaning the room and changing the sheets. Possibly vital signs.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone heard of this before? There's a new urgent care opening up pretty close and I'm thinking of trying to see if they would hire an EMT.

Sounds like an idea. You will get lots of practice with vitals, history taking, and data entry. Check with them, and see what they say.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Give it a shot. Don't expect glamour and excitement... But it could be a really cool experience.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I worked in a "doc In The Box" in 1986

Learned more clinical stuff than I learned in the last 18 months of my 4 year nursing degree. Good luck getting hired, but once in, follow their instructions and use slack times I(if any!) to learn stuff so you can get in and help.
And raise your sights. Get a degree!!

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like an idea. You will get lots of practice with vitals, history taking, and data entry. Check with them, and see what they say.
That's exactly what I would be planning on doing, patient intake, discharge info, etc. Basically what I would think a medical assistant would do.

Give it a shot. Don't expect glamour and excitement... But it could be a really cool experience.
I'm not expecting anything big, I'm mostly looking for something a little closer than my current job (170 miles round trip every other day) and somewhere I can continue learning and really be able to apply what I learn in school!

Learned more clinical stuff than I learned in the last 18 months of my 4 year nursing degree. Good luck getting hired, but once in, follow their instructions and use slack times I(if any!) to learn stuff so you can get in and help.
And raise your sights. Get a degree!!
I plan on going to a BSN at minimum :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know a lot of EMT-Basics who work in the clinical setting. They take vitals and get a history, the same thing an RN or tech would do. Go for it!

Sasha

Forum Chief
There is an urgent care here that ONLY hires EMTs and Paramedics. There is one nurse and two doctors.

The EMTs do whatever the doctors trust them and teach them to do.

EMTs are actually more vital than a CNA in an urgent care. There is no feeding/changing/bathing patients. There's vital signs, assesments, history taking, lung sounds etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounds very possible then! Only difficulty would be that emt's aren't common in urgent cares in San Diego.