basic O2 q

whiteoleander28

Forum Probie
Any advice on using O2 tanks? or the AMR skills test for that matter? I heard I may have to show how to use one for the test but honestly the only thing I've really learned about them is how to connect the O2 tubing....

reaper

Working Bum
You passed a EMT-B course and was never taught how to put a regulator on an O2 tank?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
You were never taught how to change out a cylinder? Which division are you applying for? So far, I've only heard of one division locally that actually requires a skills demonstration...

JPINFV

Gadfly
You passed a EMT-B course and was never taught how to put a regulator on an O2 tank?

Should it even matter? You can teach someone to change O2 tanks in under 5 minutes. I honestly don't remember how much time, if any, was spent in my basic class on changing a regulator.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Should it even matter? You can teach someone to change O2 tanks in under 5 minutes. I honestly don't remember how much time, if any, was spent in my basic class on changing a regulator.

You can teach any number of skills in five minutes, but it's nice getting new EMTs who know how to use their EMT equipment . . . (And you can show in five minutes, but they will not be proficient at it next time they have to do it on their own).

reaper

Working Bum

That would be another fine example of teaching to pass a test, rather then teaching for knowledge and how to do the job!

Most employers hate schools that graduate basics that have no clue what they are doing. Your average class is 3 months long. You could teach the simple medical knowledge they learn in a few weeks. So what are they doing the rest of the time????:rolleyes:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
To answer the OP's question, this is a skill that while we can explain up to whazoo online, you really need to see, and do yourself. Each regulator is slightly different and its important to train on the type you will be using every day.

Essentially, its important to know that the regulator attaches to the tank only one way-- there are three holes on the tank that match three pins on the regulator. In between there should be a plastic o-ring or seal. Uusally, the o-ring lives on the regulator.

Once you line it all up, you tighten the regulator finger tight (or else it may be hard to remove). Using an attached wrench, you open the tank, check for leaks, check tank pressure, and you are on your way.

Make sure you know about all of the different O2 delivery methods you carry on the ambulance. How much O2 does a Nasal Cannula get v. a Non-Rebreather? How do you hook up a BVM? How much O2 does that get?

Make sure you know wehre all delivery devices are stored, where to find extention tubing, how to move a patient from portable to on-board O2 and how to change tanks (as well as where they are stored).

Below is a cool link I got a few years ago with a utility to learn about BVM O2 usage.
http://vam.anest.ufl.edu/checkout/check-sirb.html

Good Luck!

JPINFV

Gadfly
That would be another fine example of teaching to pass a test, rather then teaching for knowledge and how to do the job!

Most employers hate schools that graduate basics that have no clue what they are doing. Your average class is 3 months long. You could teach the simple medical knowledge they learn in a few weeks. So what are they doing the rest of the time????:rolleyes:

Besides wasting my time? (Yes, I have a low opinion of my basic class)

mikie

Forum Lurker
It's an easy skill but an extremely important one. Now a days, most O2 have regs already on them, but what if you need to replace a tank and only have 1 reg?

I don't want to 'blame' anyone, but really, it should've been the FIRST thing taught when discussing O2 and administering it.

Just ask someone to show you how, you'll have it nailed in less than 5 min.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't want to 'blame' anyone, but really, it should've been the FIRST thing taught when discussing O2 and administering it.

Shouldn't the first thing be a detailed discussion of the physiology of ventilation and respiration?

mikie

Forum Lurker
Shouldn't the first thing be a detailed discussion of the physiology of ventilation and respiration?

Very true. I was referring more towards the hands-on aspect of it. Once you have learned why O2 is warranted, then it's time to assemble and apply it.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
O2 admin just popped up on the Basic practical as a random here last week. Since it was literally the first skill (besides vitals) taught in class, I worried that they wouldn't remember how to do it...but they all got by and figured out how to put a regulator on. You never know what will pop up on the tests. Best to practice a bit.

mikie

Forum Lurker
O2 admin just popped up on the Basic practical as a random here last week. Since it was literally the first skill (besides vitals) taught in class, I worried that they wouldn't remember how to do it...but they all got by and figured out how to put a regulator on. You never know what will pop up on the tests. Best to practice a bit.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the possible (2 random) practical stations for the NR tests...setup & apply O2 via NRB & NC at the proper rates, then disassemble.

OP
OP
W

whiteoleander28

Forum Probie
To answer the OP's question, this is a skill that while we can explain up to whazoo online, you really need to see, and do yourself. Each regulator is slightly different and its important to train on the type you will be using every day.

Essentially, its important to know that the regulator attaches to the tank only one way-- there are three holes on the tank that match three pins on the regulator. In between there should be a plastic o-ring or seal. Uusally, the o-ring lives on the regulator.

Once you line it all up, you tighten the regulator finger tight (or else it may be hard to remove). Using an attached wrench, you open the tank, check for leaks, check tank pressure, and you are on your way.

Make sure you know about all of the different O2 delivery methods you carry on the ambulance. How much O2 does a Nasal Cannula get v. a Non-Rebreather? How do you hook up a BVM? How much O2 does that get?

Make sure you know wehre all delivery devices are stored, where to find extention tubing, how to move a patient from portable to on-board O2 and how to change tanks (as well as where they are stored).

Below is a cool link I got a few years ago with a utility to learn about BVM O2 usage.
http://vam.anest.ufl.edu/checkout/check-sirb.html

Good Luck!

Thank you thank you! Fortunately the skills test wasn't too formal and I passed :)

Meaganbutterflyemt

Forum Probie
Today was our second mod in EMT B class and it only took our instructor 5 minutes on how to put a regulator on. There wasnt alot of talk about it, he just showed us and it was done. I agree with the last post.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not trying to bash the schooling on the left coast but it's odd a person from California asked this question. We have a student in our paramedic class that just moved here from California (he took his EMT-B there) and he had to ask how to assemble an O2 tank because he had never done it before. Yet another reason to move to a national standardized system that everyone learns exactly the same steps.

Just for fun and because I feel like typing in our basic class not only did we go through full assembly/dis assembly of an O2 tank but we used charged tanks and our teacher had us all use NRB's on 15L for a few minutes each to really feel the effects of high concentration O2.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, marine, please don't bash ALL of California, many of us actually DID learn this.