Basic CPR Question

cfman

Forum Probie
Here's a very quick CPR question. I learned to Look, Listen, & Feel, and then feel for pulse.

In the event that the person if no breathing & there is no pulse, you perform CPR.

What if there is no breathing but the pt has a pulse?
Do you never perform CPR if a pulse is present?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No breathing, you breathe for them (about 12-16 times a minute) and NO compressions

R/r 911

magicman

Forum Ride Along
correct me if i am wrong
one rescue breath every 5 seconds

when do you stop and check for pulse every 60 seconds?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
One breath every five seconds with a pulse re-check every 12 breaths or 60 seconds.

OP
OP
C

cfman

Forum Probie
Okay, so let me get this straight:

No breathing, no pulse: CPR with breathing & compressions
No breathing, pulse: Only breathing, NO compressions

How likely are you to encounter a situation where there is no breathing but a pulse?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Okay, so let me get this straight:

No breathing, no pulse: CPR with breathing & compressions
No breathing, pulse: Only breathing, NO compressions

How likely are you to encounter a situation where there is no breathing but a pulse?

all the time. Opiate overdoes come to mind. People with COPD having respiratory failure. I am sure there are more.

And it isn't just the cessation of all breathing but the lack of adequate breathing that sustains life.

Last edited by a moderator:

tydek07

Forum Captain
Aside from pulse rechecks, shouldn't you also Look, Listen, & Feel?

Yes, if the pt starts to breath adequately on his/her own... then you can stop breathing for them. But keep in mind, that they can stop breathing adequately again if the underlying problem is not fixed... so keep a close eye on the pt until ALS arrives. So even though a person is breathing, they may not be breathing adequately... so you may have to assist a person even tho they are breathing on their own.

Take Care,

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations

Don't forget that most pediatric arrests begin with a respiratory event; in addition to the sage advice above, you need to know how to clear obstructed airways as well. All the rescue breathing in the world isn't going to do any good if there's not a patent airway.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Here's a very quick CPR question. I learned to Look, Listen, & Feel, and then feel for pulse.

In the event that the person if no breathing & there is no pulse, you perform CPR.

What if there is no breathing but the pt has a pulse?
Do you never perform CPR if a pulse is present?

Before this question can be appropriately answered, we would need to know if you're referring to lay rescuer or healthcare provider CPR guidelines.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
lay rescuer...thanks for all the info
That changes the game.

The current guidelines do NOT specify a pulse check for the lay rescuer. So unless you take Healthcare Provider CPR, you aren't taught to check a pulse.

Essentially, the layperson pulse check was too often incorrect, so it got removed. Now, if someone doesn't show "signs of responsiveness" and they aren't breathing, then a LAY PROVIDER is taught to do CPR.

OP
OP
C

cfman

Forum Probie
Okay, that makes sense. And two last things here.

If in the middle of a rescuer's cycles of breathing/compression a pt starts coughing/breathing/etc...does the rescuer stop the CPR and put the pt on his or her side to await EMS?

Also, prior to using the AED, should the rescuer always do the 5 cycles of breathing/compression?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

If in the middle of a rescuer's cycles of breathing/compression a pt starts coughing/breathing/etc...does the rescuer stop the CPR and put the pt on his or her side to await EMS?

Also, prior to using the AED, should the rescuer always do the 5 cycles of breathing/compression?

Yes... if the patient shows signs of responsiveness... stop pressing on the chest and put them in the rescue position.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Cfman.. think of it this way.. CPR is providing for the pt those life supporting systems that the pt is not providing for themselves. Breathing for those who cannot breathe and a pulse/heartbeat for those who do not have one.

Also.. remember.. you are breathing for them.. not attempting to inflate them

vquintessence

Forum Captain

In regards to the cycles of CPR prior to AED analyzing/defibrillation, you SHOULD do the cycles UNLESS YOU witnessed the cardiac arrest. If you should happen to witness the arrest, give the 2 rescue breaths and hook em up and follow the AEDs instructions.

OP
OP
C

cfman

Forum Probie
Hi everyone,

I have a few other questions that have arisen.

1. With a conscious choking infant, aside from the back slaps, do you give chest compressions as well?

2. At what point do you administer CPR to a choking victim - once they have lost consciousness?

3. With an unconscious patient that has an airway obstruction, if you cannot see the object in his/her mouth, do you do any sort of breathing for the patient or just chest compressions?

4. You find an unconscious patient that you’re told has an airway obstruction. Do you do any sort of thrusts or go right into CPR?

Thanks for any help. I am looking to hone my CPR skills.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

If you see them go down, hook up the AED right away. If the arrest is unwitnessed, do the cycles first, THEN the AED.

1. With a conscious choking infant, aside from the back slaps, do you give chest compressions as well?

2. At what point do you administer CPR to a choking victim - once they have lost consciousness?

3. With an unconscious patient that has an airway obstruction, if you cannot see the object in his/her mouth, do you do any sort of breathing for the patient or just chest compressions?

4. You find an unconscious patient that you’re told has an airway obstruction. Do you do any sort of thrusts or go right into CPR?

Going by Healthcare Provider CPR level here;

1. Back slaps/chest compressions until the object is dislodged of pt becomes unresponsive.

2. When a pt becomes limp and unresponsive, you ease them to the ground and go right into compressions. After 30 compressions, check the airway, then proceed CPR like normal.

3. After your first set of compressions, check the airway. If you don't see an object, attempt to ventilate, hoping to get some bit of air around the object. Look for chest rise.

4. One of those iffy ones. I was always told ABCs when it comes to 3rd party info. Basically, do CPR like normal... open airway, attempt to ventilate, compressions.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi everyone,

I have a few other questions that have arisen.

Thanks for any help. I am looking to hone my CPR skills.

You need to sign up for a CPR class. If you are looking at entry into EMS, it should be an AHA Healthcare Provider class or ARC CPR for the professional rescuer. All of these questions are covered in the classes. The answers are slightly different depending on whether you are a bystander or an EMS responder.

danguitar12345

Forum Probie
Answer

No breathing but pulse= no Compressions just breaths if you do compressions you may harm the patient