Basic CPR Question

Little-red

Forum Ride Along
Hi,
I'm new here and I have a very basic (maybe stupid) CPR question:

Does it matter which side of the patient's body you do CPR compressions from? The illustrations always show it being done on the patient's left side, closer to the patient's heart. I'm assuming sometimes you don't have a choice which side, but is the left vastly superior to the patient's right side? Does it really matter?

Thanks

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Heck... you can straddle them if you want. Used to work good in the old days before the 'thumper'. We would shove up the smallest person on the cot, straddling the pt... so they could do non-stop CPR as we exited the house/entered the ED... etc.

Yeah.... it lost in favor awhile back... just a memory these days

emt_irl

Forum Captain
leftside/rightside, overhead its all the same as your compressing the same part of the chest

AndyK

Forum Crew Member
Hi,
I'm new here and I have a very basic (maybe stupid) CPR question:

The only stupid question is the one you wanted to ask but didn't ;)

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Heck... you can straddle them if you want. Used to work good in the old days before the 'thumper'. We would shove up the smallest person on the cot, straddling the pt... so they could do non-stop CPR as we exited the house/entered the ED... etc.

Yeah.... it lost in favor awhile back... just a memory these days

There have been a couple times where I remember being the one to straddle the patient on the cot as we rolled in to the ER. Those were some good times.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
No one in my area has an AutoPulse or equivalent, and riding on the cots is apparently prohibited. What is one to do if you end up transporting a working code during the transfer from the ED bay to room. One handed compressions while walking don't seem too effective.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And if you do not like the side you are forced to be on, you can always spin the patient around to make it more comfortable for you....at least that is what 1-2 students do in every single CPR class I have ever taught... :) :)

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
There is no such thing as a stupid question if you work in EMS. You ask a question because you want to know or are unsure. If someone thinks it's stupid then ask someone who can help and/or answer you to help you improve your skills and knowledge.

In regards to left/right side compressions; as everyone says you can straddle the patient to perform CPR. The important thing is that the compressions are being performed properly and on the nipple line.

Good luck, you'll do great. Keep asking questions... it's good.

~ L

18G

Paramedic
Agree with all the above. Doesnt matter which side you are on. The reality is when out in the field, 9 out of 10 times you won't be given a choice of which side to be on...lol.

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
One handed compressions while walking don't seem too effective.

They aren't, but I had to do it with a patient going into the ER. I was on the left side of the stretcher (being I'm right handed) and held on to the right rail with my left arm, put my feet on the bottom stretcher rail, did chest compressions with my right arm, and rode into the ER all the way to the trauma room. They were quite easy that way.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
They aren't, but I had to do it with a patient going into the ER. I was on the left side of the stretcher (being I'm right handed) and held on to the right rail with my left arm, put my feet on the bottom stretcher rail, did chest compressions with my right arm, and rode into the ER all the way to the trauma room. They were quite easy that way.

Aka gurney surfing.

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Aka gurney surfing.

I guess that is the simple way to put it.

I did it once in EMT school and some fellow students saw me coming in. They said it looked cool which is what I like the most about it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
They said it looked cool which is what I like the most about it.

Also usually one of the most ineffective ways to do compressions while moving. Usually better to straddle the patient and do them that way if possible.

However, it doesn't look as cool, and judging from your avatar, I'm sure that's a factor...:glare::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Also usually one of the most ineffective ways to do compressions while moving. Usually better to straddle the patient and do them that way if possible.

However, it doesn't look as cool, and judging from your avatar, I'm sure that's a factor...:glare::rolleyes:

Looking cool is extremely important...thus the copious threads about boots, pants and stethoscopes.

I like to think that there's actually a point to transporting people with CPR in progress. If there's a point, then I like to think we're going to do effective CPR during the move. One handed, cot surfing CPR is totally cool looking, and completely ineffective.