Baker Ambulance (California)

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
I am looking for a part time paramedic job, does anyone have any info on Baker Ambulance? (working/equipment/schedule/conditions)....I live in Sherman oaks but am willing to drive quite far away for a couple of times a month for a part time/per Diem gig...

Thanks

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I would assume their call volume is small because there are only several thousand people in their coverage area. They exist mainly to cover Interstate 15.

Within the same diving distance in you can also apply at. Liberty Ambulance (Kern County), Lifestar Ambulance (Tulare County), Imperial Ambulance (Tulare County), Delano Ambulance (Kern County), Exeter Ambulance (Tulare County). All of them I know hire per diem medics.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Good luck getting on. It is a very small operation one rig a day in baker and 2 at needles. Depending on the seasons for the dunes, etc they will staff an extra unit. Very very good Calls especially trauma from the high speed fwy, dunes, and as far a medical calls also legit since people don't out there don't really follow up with a pcp or don't call unless it is urgent. Nearest hospital is 70 mi in barstow and trauma being 90 mi away. Protocols are pretty much one of the best being ICeMA. They work 72/96 I believe. I know a few guys there but not much else.

You will get good at managing and transporting multiple very critical pts in your ambulance since mutual aid is no such thing and can be about another HR for it to arrive

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
I dont know if you have checked into them, but last I knew Desert Ambulance operated in Barstow, they hold the 911 contract for the city. I know at one time they operated 3 units a shift and the shifts were 48 on 48 off. Pay was decent from what i know of. down side is that they are a family owned company. The father started the company, the son is the manager and the daughter was a basic on one of the crews. Other than that the company was a decent place to work for. I worked as a dispatcher for them for about 6 months or so before I was let go. I was young, dumb, and didnt want to take advice from anybody on how to do my job, so they let me go. All the information that I gave is about 11 years old. I worked for them when I was 19, back in 2002.