Votes: 27 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 50 63.3%
  • Issued One (don't wear)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

rmellish

Forum Captain
Agreed with the above, my issue with badges isn't about safety or assault, rather the initial impression the patient gets, and their willingness to be open with providers. If this is a myth, then I'm happy to propagate it, as it has happened to me personally numerous times.

Last edited by a moderator:

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I am against have badges, actual ones or embroidered as well as any uniform item similar to that of a cop's uniform. Patients sometimes believe they are being arrested or are in trouble when of course this is not the case. This happened used happens regularly to me.

Just for the sake of conversation, how does the patient get the impression they are being arrested? You arrive on the scene, med kits, etc. and you identify yourself as Johnny Paramedic to the patient and you are there to help. How does the patient not get it?

Here's my point and I've been at gazillion calls whereby a crime has been committed, overdose, etc. What I see in better than 80% of the calls is the medic never identifies or introduces him or herself to the patient!

Good communication skills is one of the first methods of obtaining that trust. Just my own observations mind you.

Ray

chillyFF

Forum Ride Along
You must have not ran in the hills of KY where some people don't trust any one with a uniform be it a postal worker or a cop. But your right karaya, simple Hi my name is joe EMT would solve most problems,

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
You must have not ran in the hills of KY where some people don't trust any one with a uniform be it a postal worker or a cop. But your right karaya, simple Hi my name is joe EMT would solve most problems,

No, I don't think the hills of KY. Been to a hospital based EMS in Henderson, KY (if I remembered the city correctly).

I get to travel throughout the country doing my line of work and I can not get over how many medics never identify themselves! "Didja call for an ambulance?"... "Wazzts the problem?"... "Well lets take a look at ya", are some common openers I've heard in recent years.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Even more of the sake of conversation. Why in the world, would one even consider why a health care worker ever need a badge? Would you respect physicians, nurses, lab techs if they wore a badge?

Again, we are NOT authoritarians! The only reason for a badge is to show that you have some form of legal authority and EMS has what ? Never understood the reason why Fire Service as well has one.. yes, maybe the Fire Marshall but really what other reason?

I have had to wear or was issued to wear a badge, when I was affiliated with the Police, Fire, State Dept of Health, and as a Sexual Assault Nurse Investigators (we were officials through the D.A. office). In these cases I had authority power.

Again, one can ask in regards of myth or because "it is the way, it has been" theory why would one presume EMS needs a badge? Again, what reason or benefit it would be beneficial for a provider. Other than the "flashiness" of it what does it prove? Again, it is to display authority, in which we have none.

Truthfully, the whole uniform of EMS needs to be redesigned. Remove the whole "public service" and fire/police image and leave it for those that work in that area.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I get to travel throughout the country doing my line of work and I can not get over how many medics never identify themselves! "Didja call for an ambulance?"... "Wazzts the problem?"... "Well lets take a look at ya", are some common openers I've heard in recent years.

LOL! We could start another thread based on the communication skills, or lack of, when it comes EMTs and Paramedics. Many people have never learned proper communication skills/manners at home or in grammar school and it carries on to their jobs.

Years ago I was with a service that had uniforms similar to the LEOs. To avoid confusion we switched to jump suits with a big Star of Life on the back that looked just like the one on our trucks which was often used for target practice by residents of the neighborhoods we served.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
John E, if wear a badge can I get a job like yours?

Sorry, shameless self promotion, sorry....;)

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Even more of the sake of conversation. Why in the world, would one even consider why a health care worker ever need a badge? Would you respect physicians, nurses, lab techs if they wore a badge?

Again, we are NOT authoritarians! The only reason for a badge is to show that you have some form of legal authority and EMS has what ? Never understood the reason why Fire Service as well has one.. yes, maybe the Fire Marshall but really what other reason?

I have had to wear or was issued to wear a badge, when I was affiliated with the Police, Fire, State Dept of Health, and as a Sexual Assault Nurse Investigators (we were officials through the D.A. office). In these cases I had authority power.

Again, one can ask in regards of myth or because "it is the way, it has been" theory why would one presume EMS needs a badge? Again, what reason or benefit it would be beneficial for a provider. Other than the "flashiness" of it what does it prove? Again, it is to display authority, in which we have none.

Truthfully, the whole uniform of EMS needs to be redesigned. Remove the whole "public service" and fire/police image and leave it for those that work in that area.

R/r 911

I don't quite agree with your viewpoint that the badge is only for authoritarians. I never really looked at it that way in my thirty plus years in the business. To me it was an ornament on our uniform as a public service employee and was a symbol of the pride we took as EMS professionals. Never did I look at it as a token of "authority".

I came up through EMS from the fire services then on to publicly supported third services. I never did look at my career in EMS as just a health care professional and I'm sure that is a result of never working for a hospital based provider.

Redesign uniforms? What would you suggest? Jumpsuits like a flight medic or perhaps we should go back to white smocks? The white smocks certainly would make us all look like "health care EMS" wouldn't you agree?

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree with R/r and several others that state authoritarians should be the only ones that wear badges. It doesn't matter how well you introduce yourself to a patient wearing a badge in many cases is just like carrying a gun. The service I ride with doesn't wear badges and have white uniform shirts and black pants and we still have patients that don't want to open up to us just because we come with lights and sirens. For the most part the general public isn't fully informed of their confidentiality rights so they are afraid of telling anyone anything because they think they'll get in trouble for it.

Another point is look at the reason the New York fire department changed their initials to FDNY. Badge or not (I don't know) too many firefighters were getting shot at because NYFD looked very similar to NYPD on their uniforms. Add a badge to that mix and of course issues will arise.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Another point is look at the reason the New York fire department changed their initials to FDNY. Badge or not (I don't know) too many firefighters were getting shot at because NYFD looked very similar to NYPD on their uniforms. Add a badge to that mix and of course issues will arise.

so you're telling me that way back in 1870(shortly after the passage of the tweed charter), criminals were shooting at fireman thinking they were cops? i think not.

fdny being fdny instead of nyfd isnt something that happend even close to recently. it became official may 21, 1870 and didnt have the slightest thing to do with criminals confusing cops and jakes.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Just for the sake of conversation, how does the patient get the impression they are being arrested?
Patients that are confused or have some level of altered mental status often may mistake you as a cop. Geritric patients with dementia, teenagers on drugs and patients in police custody for some reason are examples. They see you in a uniform similiar to that of a cop's uniform. You put them on a stretcher and strap them in. They may not necessarily want to go to the hospital but being altered mental status may not have the option. Cops may or may not be on scene beforehand and are pushing the patient to go to the hospital. As Rid pointed out, a badge is a symbol of authority usually brought out by cops.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

The FDNY has always been the FDNY. There was no change. Firefighters may got shot at in neighborhoods that view all police fire and EMS as authorities they hate, badge or not.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well, that's not really true either.

between 1864 and 1869 it was the metropolitan fire department. it went through several revisions adding districts, paid v. vollie etc until 1870 when state control was removed from new york city(tweed charter). that abolished the metropolitan fire dept and the fire department of the city of new york was born.

as i said, it became official 21 may when the board of fire commisioners ordered the re lettering of all apparatus from mfd to fdny.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Back on topic, please.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep! part of the job.....

Part of our uniform and the dress code...... At least I know it's me!!! :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
Only one job I worked required a badge. We looked like cops. We did not look like medical professionals. I want nothing in my appearance to take away from people viewing me as a prehospital medical professional.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I could care less one way or another about badges, however to say we are not in a position of authority would be wrong. We can take patients against their will, this is use of authority. We can park counter to flow of traffic and break certain laws of speed, etc... We delegate tasks to firefightes, cops, EMT's and first responders, we lecture on topics of drug prevention, violence, car seat safety, helmets for bicyclists all of which portray a level of authority.

Do I think we NEED badges? Not at all, but I'm not losing sleep over having to wear one, or to wear a uniform that is functional for the environment I work in. On any given day I might find myself in the luxury apartment of a little old lady or underneath a subway train. Scrubs and labcoats definately lend more of a medical proffesional appearance, but are impractical, at least were I tend to work.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
EMS= Emergency Medical Services. Nothing in that wording states police, fire, welder, etc. We are health care providers... how your community decides how that is delivered it is immaterial, but as a provider of care, you are a health professional first.

I don't know what the ideal uniform would be. I do like those of Canada I have seen. Slightly over on the public safety side, but definitely appears to be more for the providers safety.

White smocks, fireman shirt (with epaulets) NO!.. Polos .. everyone wears them from those that work at Chilli's to the Janitor.

Again, we need something unique to our profession.

R/r 911