Bad EMS treatment on TV

Captn' Tuddle

Forum Crew Member
This is for all of those times where you see EMS treatment given on TV and can't help but slap yourself on the forehead because its so bad.

CSI: NY - A detective gets pushed off of a balcony and falls what looks to be 2-3 stories. When the paramedics rolled him out of there in the next scene there was no c-collar and he wasn't strapped to a back board.

24- Jack runs into the ED carrying his girlfirend who got shot. Before he even placed her on the gurney the nurses and docotrs (all ten of them) surrounding them starting shouting out her BP, respiratory, and heart rate. I wish I could just know a pt's vitals without even touching them!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
How does CSI NY and 24 treat any respective field? Real CSi does not look like CSI NY and spies, military personnel, feds, politicians and the like do not look like anything in 24.

John E

Forum Captain
I'm shocked...

to learn that "24" isn't a documentary...

I wonder if the agents at the FBI sit around and complain when they see federal agents doing stupid stuff on television shows?

John E

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
what next?? saying Charlies Angels was n't a biography/drama??

DillR

Forum Crew Member
Another one from CSI

Medic runs up to a MVA checks pulse "Time of death 0700" with a disappointed look on his face, trying to find the youtube vid. but i was rolling.:rolleyes:

red_head

Forum Probie
I have no specific example, because I see it just about everywhere, but let me just say chest compressions!

I can count maybe once or twice where they looked somewhat realistic. Usually the rate is more than twice as slow as it should be, the hands are in the completely wrong place, or they do like 5 or 6 compressions, and, of course, the patient is almost ALWAYS resuscitated.

hahaha

My boyfriend hates watching tv or movies with me when anything involving emergency care happens, because I always start laughing hysterically

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I wish I could just know a pt's vitals without even touching them!

You can! Obviously you are not an exclusive member of the Psychic Vitals Network. I had several partners many years ago who were avid members and used their skills often, especially on routines.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You can! Obviously you are not an exclusive member of the Psychic Vitals Network. I had several partners many years ago who were avid members and used their skills often, especially on routines.

SHHH That is the secret society you are not supposed to talk about in public. Your membership is under review for termination.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
The only thing better is when some whacker with a jacket full of fire/rescue pins pumps up their chest and declares how stupid "they" are on TV. If only they had been there to rush to the scene lights and sirens and throw that c collar and 02 on (maybe even get a line) and really save a life.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Pfft... I once visited a psych.... to warn her.

Stay thirsty my friends...

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Last night while watching one of my girlfriends favorite shows, a guy with a known spinal injury wasn't C-collored, and the 2 EMTs and a Fire Fighter lifted him up by the extremities, causing more aggravation to his spine and placed him on a spine board, unsecured. ohh, and get this, they placed the board against him and log rolled him to check underneath him, no one holding his head and taking spinal precautions.

I laughed historically.

GhostEMT627

Forum Ride Along

Did they give you these vitals in odd numbers in the field as well? :glare:

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I still think the joke is actually on us. When my friends and I used to watch things like this, they would ask what I would do differently. I'd give them the text book answer, and then be forced to admit that 9.9 times out of ten it would not "save the patient" in fact usually it would just hurt them.

But as long as you get the pt to the hospital in 3 minutes strapped to a board, you're a hero. It is maddening that most EMS folks actually still believe this. Hell, my medic professor believes this. Talk about killing confidence in your education. :ph34r:

SEBeast

Forum Crew Member
I'm shocked!

Those shows are the very reason I became a medic, and now my life is just like the movies.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
After hours at Offut Crash Rescue...

...we used to watch "EMERGENCY" (you remember, Johhny and Roy?) and razz them. Once they used a PortaPower to extricate a guy under a collapsing building; as it gave way and they skedaddled, we all yelled "Don't forget the PortaPower!!".
Hey, it's TV right?

Kaufman

Forum Probie
Last night while watching one of my girlfriends favorite shows, a guy with a known spinal injury wasn't C-collored, and the 2 EMTs and a Fire Fighter lifted him up by the extremities, causing more aggravation to his spine and placed him on a spine board, unsecured. ohh, and get this, they placed the board against him and log rolled him to check underneath him, no one holding his head and taking spinal precautions.

I laughed historically.

you laugh I have seen this happen.......
paramedic no less