Backboard straps?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The funny thing about this conversation is that it's all about which way of performing an intervention not supported by science or logic works best. There's a reason why as soon as a patient reaches the ED the board comes off... and doesn't go back on even if we go someplace like CT.

If we are going to have use backboards, the least they can do is make them easier to use.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh I so know who you work for and I agree it's a PITA. Huge learning curve and can be a complete cluster if folks who aren't real good at it try to help (I'm still pretty much in this category. I dont understand the concept of running lights and sirens to save 20 seconds, and then wasting 10 or more minutes while 7 people take turns standing on the webbing while you try to find both ends at the same time while strobe lights make it look like some kind of weird SnM scene. I also had a really bad experince with a combative head injury patient and the webbing. 5 of us couldn't make it work and 4 of the 5 were actually good at it. I feel that Velcro spider straps would have worked much more effectively. Honestly I don't really see what's wrong with duct tape like HFD uses. Yes it looks terrible but it should be about effect rather than appearances. Granted I've never actually used it just seen it used but it looks more than effective enough for the purpose. I also saw someone strap a patient down with webbing so tightly once that it caused significant discomfort to the paitient and I suspect some nasty bruises that were no doubt rather hard to explain. When the patient complained about the straps cutting into him he was told and I quote "if the restraints aren't causing you pain they aren't effectively immobilizing you".

Also I just don't feel like the webbing is cleanable enough and it gets reused a lot.

Ok rant over.

I have only used webbing once... when I did my interview and testing w/ MCHD EMS in Montgomery County TX. They were shocked that I'd never seen that setup before... Hated them

feldy

Forum Captain
we use regular straps that we tie to the boards so they are ready to go. We also just got a few of these new boards seen here http://www.ezliftrescue.com/ that we are demoing. The boards are heavier but are supposed to be easier on the back and have extendable handles..anyone else use these?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The funny thing about this conversation is that it's all about which way of performing an intervention not supported by science or logic works best. There's a reason why as soon as a patient reaches the ED the board comes off... and doesn't go back on even if we go someplace like CT.
I like it as a method of extrication. Once it has served it's purpose, it should be taken off as it's job is done. Somewhere along the way, it's purpose morphed into something else. Unfortunately, protocols being as they are, often don't allow the EMT or Medic the ability to take a patient off the board, and quite often dictate when a patient must be put on one, even if the actual instant situation would be inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
All the services in the province are required to use similar style straps, with things like spider straps, etc. not being permitted.

According to our Provincial Equipment Standards, the min. requirements are as follows.

The complete restraining system must:

• consist of four (4) complete two (2) piece “Tang & Receiver” assemblies, [i.e. two (2)shoulder, one (1) waist and one (1) leg];

• be constructed of materials that are easily cleaned and disinfected, minimum two (2) inches in width;

• have a minimum extended Tang and strap length of 122 cm (48 inches);

• have a minimum extended Receiver and strap length of 33 cm (13 inches);

• be capable of restraining, as a minimum, the weight of a 90th percentile male;

• have quick release hooks that: are corrosion resistant and have a spring loaded snap closure

• must fit over a maximum 10 mm (3/8 inch) rod;

• have a 360o swivel capability.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Every place I've ever worked uses spider straps. 90 seconds. Easy peasy.

I'm a big fan of these. I've only used them in the classroom setting, though. In practice, how easy is it to wash/replace/recover the straps? Was it a very busy system in which these worked well?

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
lolz...well if you're going to do something wrong, at least do a good job at doing it wrong...
:)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm a big fan of these. I've only used them in the classroom setting, though. In practice, how easy is it to wash/replace/recover the straps? Was it a very busy system in which these worked well?

Busy system here, the spider straps get thrown in a box next to the backboards and then AMR comes and picks them up and presumably cleans then.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

We are a very busy urban system and use spiders exclusively. Our hospitals have areas where they put all reusable EMS equipment. Then once a week a VST goes around to the hospitals and picks up all the gear, cleans it then puts it back in service.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Bit of a technical/ops question, but do you happen to know how they clean them? Scrubbing or with a washing machine?

I know I've tried cleaning our disposable straps before when low on replacement straps in the ambulance and it seems pretty much impossible to get the stains out, even using the hospital decon hose and purple top wipes...

I'd love to use them, but cost of replacement due to blood seems to be the most common resistance I hear about it...

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

It was a relatively busy, small-medium city with 140-160 transports/day. There was a logistics department staffed with 3 people, who, among other things, went around to all of the hospitals every day to recover equipment. They washed backboards, threw spiders in the washing machines, hung them to dry and matched up the velro properly.

It wore the velcro out worse than not washing them, but it was way less disgusting than the alternative.