At the station

SarahT

Forum Probie
Some EMT jobs are 24 on and 48 off. What do you do when there is no calls and nothing needs to be done to the truck? What is an EMT building like? Where do you take a power nap at? Is there a kitchen to make food in? Showers to clean up in? TV for really slow days? Just trying to get a visual here.

Thanks!

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
A lot of this will be determined by the service you work for Our service runs 24/48 but we also run several other trucks to cover different times of the day. As far as what to do when not on call, that doesn't happen here that much. (25000+ calls annually) We utilize substations to post units at some are so so some are dumps. I normally try to nap in a reliner if the opportunity to do so becomes available. As far as food is concerned, I usually bring my own from home because I never know if I will get to sit down and eat somewhere.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It depends.

If you work 24 hours here, you are out of a set station.... usually as a FF/Medic or FF/EMT. You have house chores to do (wash and check trucks, clean floors, etc).

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I work 24s. We have a set up somewhat like a Fire station. We have sleep rooms, a day room, kitchen, showers, etc. We also have a cleaning service that comes around a couple times a week as well as a company that comes once a week to wash the rigs. We really do not have any responsibilities other than keeping the rig stocked if we are not running calls. My quarters are attatched to the main operations center and that is where all of our CE hours are given. If there is a class no matter what it is I sit in on it. Sad thing is we are usually to busy to get much done other than running calls.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Guess it depends on what you want to do; the transport guys only work 8 hour days. The medics work 12, the drivers work 8..

On the emergency side; the EMT's work 12, and the medics work 24. The only job given to the EMT's is driving, and they don't want any tired drivers. There are bunks to sleep. There is a kitchen, but food is delivered daily by a company that takes care of the vending machines. We use our pass cards to get stuff out, any more than a certain amount is taken from our pay checks. <_< Ba*tards

Things like cold sandwiches, those rolled taco things, fruit, jello cups, etc. There is a microwave, that has to be cleaned every shift, the rookies do that. :p Coffee, etc., again, in a machine from the vending company. Also has ice and water in it. No brand name items, pop, anything like that. They do have generic sports drinks in a vending machine.

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
station life...

our station is a small house with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen, living room w/tv (and cable!), a couch, 2 recliners and the front room which is our "office" - station computer for reports and other office equipt. that is where our walk-ins come in and we do blood pressure checks too. we have a garage with washer/dryer, some exercise equipt. and our supply room. we keep one ambulance parked between the station & garage, other one in front, 3rd at fire station as back up unit.

the full time crews work 48 on, 48 off, 48 on, 48 off, 48 on, 8 days off and all full time crew members have their own lockers and food shelves.

we provide our own food but our "association" buys condiments & coffee. we have set daily chores that need to be done & signed off plus rig check out on the first day of your 48 and we generally wash the unit daily unless it is raining!:p :wacko:

we are "on duty/in uniform" from 0800-1700 and can put on casual clothes after 1700 hrs. if we are up all night running calls we are allowed to put up our "crew sleeping" sign and keep the front door locked so we can sleep during the day. we do have a shared gym membership all full time staff pay into and we can work out during daytime hours but that is tough because half the time the gym is busy and then we get a call!

we are supposed to use our own personal computers for stuff like, oh what i'm doing now...cruising the 'net, but we can check our email on the station 'puter if we had to.

we can shower here but i prefer not to since i'm always paranoid my hair will be all soaped up & BAM the tones will go off!:blink: it hasn't happened yet in almost 2 1/2 years but ya never know! heh heh...

so we bring in homework (if in school), books/magazines, personal stuff to do during our down time. we can totally nap if we want to - i took my sleepy time in my recliner this afternoon and since i live in town i could always run by my house if i needed something, go by the pharmacy to pick stuff up or do other errands. B) B) unfortunately the line is drawn at pulling out the beach chair and enjoying the sun at the beach! LOL...

good luck to you!
~kb

OP
OP
SarahT

SarahT

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the input! I asked the question because for some reason in my head, the thought of a bunch of firefighters and men eating chips watching TV came to mind, and wondered if it was really like that. LOL.

i_drive_code3- Your station sounds nice!

Thanks again :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What's a station?

I've worked 24s in a Type II Ambulance (van) before. We don't have stations, but instead "hold post" on street corners and in parking lots.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
SarahT said:
Thanks for all the input! I asked the question because for some reason in my head, the thought of a bunch of firefighters and men eating chips watching TV came to mind, and wondered if it was really like that. LOL.

i_drive_code3- Your station sounds nice!

Thanks again :)
Take the City of Philadelphia - the medics run out of the fire stations... the FF's cook, clean, etc - the medics help when they can, but the medics can go for hours and hours and not see their station.....

The FF's sit and eat popcorn and watch movies.

OP
OP
SarahT

SarahT

Forum Probie
MMiz said:
What's a station?

I guess the best way to say it would be the place where you take your truck at the end of the day, and where you clock out and whatnot.

MedicStudentJon- I knew it existed! :)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
TTLWHKR said:
And they say that we 'earn money sleeping'...

Umm, they watched movies and had me cook them dinner....damn being a student sucks.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
Bake them a chocolate laxative cake!
ROFLMAO....

I can imagine.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I some times wander if I don't live at the station and I belong to a volley squad. (now thats sad:sad: ). Actually we just got a new station has the bay area that has two drive through bays. One bay we have our two ambulances backed into. Our meeting room is one large room 2 TVs (cable) a computer (with the net). And a regular Kitchen with microwave, oven and fridge. They have even made an upstairs portion into storage and work sation. I would say I'm very happy with the results of our building. I have been spending alot of time working on training officer related stuff and just hanging out after calls with the rest of the gang like last night after training. Always a good time.

OP
OP
SarahT

SarahT

Forum Probie
emtbuff said:
I have been spending alot of time working on training officer related stuff and just hanging out after calls with the rest of the gang like last night after training. Always a good time.

Thanks for bringing this up. Since many EMT/Paramedic/FF's are primarily stationed at one place, and work long hours, how are relationships with people you work with? By that I mean, is it like another family at work, or do people fight alot? Are some people snotty?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to sleep on an army cot in the station back home, they didn't have 911 yet, and someone had to stay there to answer the phone/activate the home alert/warning siren/etc.

And it was a volunteer station...

emtbuff

Forum Captain
SarahT said:
Thanks for bringing this up. Since many EMT/Paramedic/FF's are primarily stationed at one place, and work long hours, how are relationships with people you work with? By that I mean, is it like another family at work, or do people fight alot? Are some people snotty?

Depends on the day and who is around. It is one big happy family. Or at least most times. You learn who to take seriously and when to take them serious and then you have those that you let talk while you just nod in agreement and don't worry really about what they say.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
depands on which service i'm running with that day and if were busy or not

paid sqaud: my "station" is a 2003 ford e350 typeII bls rig that, on a busy day, wont see that station for 8 or more hours at a whack. when were not on a call, were posted in the city, so i know all about street corners and parking lots and have perfected the "ambunap"(pat pending). occasionally,like holidays and stuff, we'll hang around qaurters do clean up duties sleep etc. no cooking facilities. trucks get washed every shift. base, not so much

vollie: our ready room has couches and tv and what not. net ready computer to fiddle with. when were not running, were napping, or screwing around

rural_emtp

Forum Ride Along
We work 24/48 from stations. The stations have dayrooms with TV, kitchen area, but no stove at HQ, just at the remote station, office space for supervisory stuff such as records, office computer, fax machine. Individual sleeping rooms, showers, and separate entrance from the rest of the building. HQ has a bay for 4 trucks. The rest of the building includes a cafeteria open for lunch and supper. The building has to be kept clean, units checked each shift, trucks washed daily. If all the duties are complete and not on call, sleeping is OK. We have a small town nearby with places to eat between 0600 and 2300. Some bring their own food, some eat out.

For the most part, everyone gets along. The family thing develops somewhat, depending upon the individual. In a small, rural service, you get to know everyone rather well. We currently have 11 full time employees and 3 part timers. Most of the paramedics have over 10 years experience, some more than 20; with the majority of it in high volume 911 systems.

As with any other job, EMS is largely what you make it. It is a team sport.