As a new medic......

motomedic

Forum Crew Member
I am running a wide variety of calls from ALS transfers to the 911 calls. although some are real thinkers I have been waiting for the call where im wondering what to do, Just wondering what advice ppl have to keep up your skills and knowledge. I can only sit an read my medic/protocol book for so long. I guess it feels like im not as sharp as I was right out of school, but I guess thats normal??? Just a thought........Cheers

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
check with medical director to see if you can shadow him in the ED.

my old one would let us do that, and we could shadow the Trauma Teams.

take all of the CE classes that you can afford, lots of skill practice in those.
volunteer to be a patient in classes, and for testing for state/national registries. both as a patient and a proctor. (some places you have to be a patient a few times before they will make you a proctor/tester).
become an instructor for whatever level you are, and for extra classes: IE: ACLS or PALS for ALS providers, or BTLS instructor on BLS level.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
johnrsemt had some excellent suggestions.

I will follow suit and suggest upgrading to instructor level ACLS, PALS, ITLS/PHTLS, etc. The BCCTPC offers a critical care paramedic credential (CCP-C) as does the University of Maryland (CCEMT-P) which you can study for/take. The BCCTPC also offers a flight paramedic credential (FP-C).

Maybe go back to school and get a degree in something related to health science.

There's always lots more to do.

SA_Medic

Forum Probie
Being that I used to work a really busy service and moved over to the Oil Rigs and eventually ended up here in Nambia as a flight medic (fixed wing) I had the same concern. The service I am working for services certain "clients" and therefore does not involve lots of "primary response" calls mostly IHT's I decided some time ago to volunteer with the local Fire Dept. who does not have any ALS staff.

It seriously helped me regain my skills. As said before, I also took the ACLS and other abbreviations to the next step and became an instructor. There's always ways and means to keep up to date, just have to look for it.

Good luck