Are You Prepared or Just a Wacker?

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
stocked vehicles

we had a couple guys at my old company that would steal a ED pillowcase and jam it full of supplies and bring it back to station, then hand it out like candy. I generally just keep the basics

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
we had a couple guys at my old company that would steal a ED pillowcase and jam it full of supplies and bring it back to station, then hand it out like candy. I generally just keep the basics

Theft by ambulance crews has been a big problem in the hospitals. We now have no problem getting EMT(P)s arrested, especially those caught on camera, taking supplies that can quickly add up to grand theft. In Florida, grand theft is considered with any amount over $300 and is punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine. It also gives EMT(P)s a bad rep with that hospital as they are now viewed as theives that can not be trusted and not as healthcare professionals. Hospitals usually don't have an issue with giving a few supplies in the line of duty but to support whackers', they draw the line. It also makes one wonder what they might take in a patient's home and off their person.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
+1 on Vent's comments; we seem to bring many of the "image" issues down on our own heads; stuff like this is an example. In reply to the OP, I carry a small jump kit with a few 4x4's, a couple rolls of gauze, a couple triangulars, a pocket mask, and a pair of scissors and a handful of gloves. I also commute through an area where a 20 minute EMS/Fire response time isn't unusual, and I've been burned more than once pulling up to a bad MVC with nothing but the gloves in my uniform belt pouch. Having said that, since I put the darn thing in the back of the car I've had not even a splinter to treat. Call it cheap insurance for the motoring public. :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have a cell phone fully charged, latex gloves and a reflective vest, flash light. All of those items in case I have to change a tire. That's it.

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have a cell phone fully charged, latex gloves and a reflective vest, flash light. All of those items in case I have to change a tire. That's it.

R/r 911

Wacker. All you really need is a AAA card.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Only thing I permanently have in my car is a box of large gloves.

What I take to work every day, on the other hand: stethoscope, pocket-mask, penlight, trauma shears, assorted 2x2s and 4x4s randomly left in my coat pockets, a small "citation holder"-style clipboard, company pens, the mandatory company-provided fanny pack with the mandatory company-provided N95 and safety goggles (which I usually just throw on the dash of whatever ambulance I'm in), a small mag-lite, glove pouch, cell phone holster. I also usually take a company pager and a company radio and throw them on my belt.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

I always love making a quick stop and say hi. Then notify the D.A. as it not only stealing but obtaining most of those items without a prepscrition maybe a Federal law!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
One also has to remember that carrying gloves in a car for long periods of time will make them ineffective and offer little protection. The same goes for many other medical supplies which can become contaminated by other objects in your trunk such as fishing tackle. You may be doing more harm than good to both you and the patient by carrying some of these supplies. There are reasons why ambulance services and hospitals do stock rotation.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
One also has to remember that carrying gloves in a car for long periods of time will make them ineffective and offer little protection. The same goes for many other medical supplies which can become contaminated by other objects in your trunk such as fishing tackle. You may be doing more harm than good to both you and the patient by carrying some of these supplies. There are reasons why ambulance services and hospitals do stock rotation.

Good thing I go through one or two pairs of gloves on every call at an extremely business and re-stock said box of gloves on a regular basis.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I carry gloves and a small face mask.

I can see how you would not stop for nothing while off duty. (Of course in my Fire District it is a different story.;))

I may be a little wacker-ish in saying this, but I just could not walk by someone who is not breathing.

I also carry a small basic first aid box for personal or family use only. I will admit that when I first finished class I was one of the guys who carried my jump bag everywhere with the intention of using it on anyone and everyone who looked remotly like they might be scratched.:blush: Now I still carry it, but only because of the fact that my FD is first response and there is no sense in me going 5 miles to the station and 5 and a half to the scene if I can go right there a half mile away. 99% of the time though, so far, I go to the station, get my bag out of my truck and and take the engine to the call.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
I noticed alot of replies to my comment baout my old Company. None of it was of pharmaceutical nature, most of it was cervial collars lying around and those unopened wetpacks of casting plaster. Nothing too bad. The more i think about the people who had it, the more I think about the very good possibility that the starved ED nurses were tossing the stuff at these guys......

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I have my car keys and an old steth which I found in the trunk. And a cell phone to call 911.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I noticed alot of replies to my comment baout my old Company. None of it was of pharmaceutical nature, most of it was cervial collars lying around and those unopened wetpacks of casting plaster. Nothing too bad. The more i think about the people who had it, the more I think about the very good possibility that the starved ED nurses were tossing the stuff at these guys......

That's exactly what we were talking about.

The supplies didn't belong to the nurses either. Possession and knowledge of stolen property carries the same punishment. To think this is "nothing too bad" will quickly end your hopes for a career in medicine or any job that involves public trust if you are also a participant or receiver of property from such activities.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Only...

A personal (or for whomever is in my car) first aid kit (bare minimums: 4x4, band aids, gloves, mask, sterile h20).

If I saw an MVA........I have a phone! I'm not going to put myself or more importantly, my car :rolleyes: in harms-way.

If I'm in a parking lot and see someone drop, sure, I'll grab my mask and gloves...but that's unlikely.

Good Samaritan law or not...the risk isn't worth it.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
That's exactly what we were talking about.

The supplies didn't belong to the nurses either. Possession and knowledge of stolen property carries the same punishment. To think this is "nothing too bad" will quickly end your hopes for a career in medicine or any job that involves public trust if you are also a participant or receiver of property from such activities.

By no means did I partake. I'm a well behaved public servant, and went totally opposite my delinquent days when I joined my first DP.

When I said "nothing too bad", I was not condoning it, just reassuring that nothing in the way of drugs, narcotics, etc. had been fingered. I agree that it is very wrong, considering that on a hopital bill, the patient would be rediculously charged for the items.

And so that this is not completely off-topic:

Many of the local companies, I have found, have the keychain masks personalised with company name, in a way to encourage the carrying of said masks. They arent half bad.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
I have a face shield which I will probably never use, as well as a pair of gloves and a couple of band-aids, which I have used.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
When I said "nothing too bad", I was not condoning it, just reassuring that nothing in the way of drugs, narcotics, etc. had been fingered. I agree that it is very wrong, considering that on a hopital bill, the patient would be rediculously charged for the items.

There are also other problems with this behavior besides just the dishonesty as a thief.

1. The inventory list for the supplies will not reflect an accurate amount for restocking. Thus, hospital staff may believe they have the supplies when they don't. That is never good in an emergency.

2. If the items are charged to a patient who has no need for them or in a larger quantity than necessary, then fraud has been committed along with the theft. When you get insurances and Medicare involved, you will also be looking at Federal as well as local charges.

This is an important issue because many "enthusiasts" do stock their personal bags from hospital supplies. These supplies will rarely if ever be used on a patient but rather are just for boasting rights to some "cool stuff" like a C-Collar and casting plaster.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I have a face shield which I will probably never use, as well as a pair of gloves and a couple of band-aids, which I have used.[/QUOTE

Now keeping used gloves and band aids is just gross.:p

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
There are also other problems with this behavior besides just the dishonesty as a thief.

1. The inventory list for the supplies will not reflect an accurate amount for restocking. Thus, hospital staff may believe they have the supplies when they don't. That is never good in an emergency.

2. If the items are charged to a patient who has no need for them or in a larger quantity than necessary, then fraud has been committed along with the theft. When you get insurances and Medicare involved, you will also be looking at Federal as well as local charges.

This is an important issue because many "enthusiasts" do stock their personal bags from hospital supplies. These supplies will rarely if ever be used on a patient but rather are just for boasting rights to some "cool stuff" like a C-Collar and casting plaster.

I entirely agree. In no way did I intend my post, in which I clearly stated that the act was done my someone other than myself, to reflect my values and morals as an EMS Student. I'm considering wiping that post out all together. I hope that this isn't reflected upon me negatively in this community. Sorry.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Ahhh so you are the reason that all hospital supplies are now kept under lock and key. I heard about you guys. Stealing is stealing.

We used to be able to replace supplies in our stock if it was something like an O2 mask or IV tubing that remained on the pt in the ER. The ER would bill the pt for the supplies and we would replace what we used from hospital stock. Those who acted as described above are the reason why we are no longer able to do that. Thanks guys!